kanakas123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Optimal nutrition

Hey guys,
    Quick stats: 22 years old, 125kg weight, 193 cm height, working out for a few years now
    Trying to lose around 10 - 15 kg of weight in a reasonable amount of time while trying to preserve as much muscle as possible. Working out around 3 - 4 Times a week.

Calculated basal metabolic rate is 2351 calories/day, I am a student so outside of gym not very active. Does anybody have recommendations about calorie intake and macros?
    I was thinking of consuming around 2750 kcal on non-training days with 200 grams of protein and around 3300 kcal on training days with 230 grams of protein.
    Any recommendations/improvements are highly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Those calories are too high, you would probably gain weight.

Be careful of calculators because they make assumptions about your body composition. You probably do not have a metabolism any higher than that of someone who is 80kg

You will have to make make an initial guess and then use actual weight loss over time to adjust. Try starting with 2400. No need to change this on training vs. non training days, most people over estimate the number of extra calories burned by training.

NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Those calories are too high, you would probably gain weight.

Be careful of calculators because they make assumptions about your body composition. You probably do not have a metabolism any higher than that of someone who is 80kg

You will have to make make an initial guess and then use actual weight loss over time to adjust. Try starting with 2400. No need to change this on training vs. non training days, most people over estimate the number of extra calories burned by training.
    I'm curious as to why your recommending he eats so close to his BMR.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by NoGenetics View Post
    I'm curious as to why your recommending he eats so close to his BMR.
    It isn't really his BMR. That's the point.

NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500) NoGenetics is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It isn't really his BMR. That's the point.
    I hope you don't mind be asking, how did you draw this conclusion?

At his bodyweight, with current exercise, 2400 appears quite low. Will the impact of metabolic adaptation will leave him reaching for straws by the end?

At his bodyweight, with current exercise, 2400 appears quite low. Will the impact of metabolic adaptation will leave him reaching for straws by the end?
    BMR is mostly explained by lean body mass, fat mass doesn't contribute that much. His LBM is probably no different to a fit guy who weighs 80kg - so the rest is fat and their BMRs will be very similar - probably around 2k or slightly less.

Exercise level is not taken into account with BMR - it's the *basal* metabolic rate (i.e. taken when resting)

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

As I can imagine at 125kg the OP is rather overweight in fact he is obese according to the BMI reading (not great I admit but a starting point).

Post a pic for more info but anyone who is 6ft 4 and 125kg is quite a bit overweight and unlikely most will be muscle. I am 6ft 2 and down in the 80-90kg bracket most of the time. A BMR calculator cant distinguish between lean body mass and body fat and although the amount of calories burnt by lean mass is around 5-6 calories per lb an hour, fat is a lot lower at around 1-2 calories per hour per lb.

As you can see if he has a higher level of fat a BMR calculator wont know this. I agree start at 2400 and go from there. Also metabolic adaptation is never going to out do lower calories. Your metabolism will not slow down enough to counter dropping calories it is just hormonal changes that possible breaks may help in the future (science is mixed) but someone at 125kg does not need this, eating a resemble low calorie amount will get you close to lean without having to drop calories.

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/me...on/#Conclusion
    Last edited by hardyboysare; 04-17-2019 at 07:09 AM.

kanakas123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for all the replies guys, would have to add that a few months ago I did an inbody analysis for body composition, turned out I had around 18% body fat at 116 kg, together with around 95 kg fat-free mass of which 55 kg was lean muscle

Originally Posted by kanakas123 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys, would have to add that a few months ago I did an inbody analysis for body composition, turned out I had around 18% body fat at 116 kg, together with around 95 kg fat-free mass of which 55 kg was lean muscle
    Ignore that, those machines are notoriously bad at predicting much of anything.

If you really had 95kg of FFM all you would need to do is diet down and step straight onto stage to win a BB contest...

Chances are that you are at least 35%

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kanakas123 View Post
    Find that hard to believe my friend. GOAT Arnold Schwarzenegger was about 8-9% body fat when he walked on stage and weighed about 106-107kg stage weight in 1980 Mr Olympia therefore his fat-free mass was 97.5 - 98.5. No offence mate but if you are at that range you don't need our advice.

I am afraid those scanners are awful.