Dune736 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Help me get lean

Hi everyone,
    I need some help. I know this topic has probably been covered before, but I am skinny fat in a bad way.

In September after gaining 40 pounds the year before, I decided to do something about it. I joined a gym and got a trainer. The trainer was helpful in showing me what to do as in weight loss.
    Not far after I was laid off from my job and have not found a new one. Due to that, I could not buy more training sessions and went at it on my own.

Today I am proud to say I have lost 75 pounds in total.

I started at 240 lbs and now sit at 165lbs.

Now here is where I run into a problem. I'm at my goal weight, but I still have a lot of body fat.
    I'm not really sure what to do at this point.
    I'm still training and doing cardio, eating clean as possible, at a deficit. I know I need to change something so I do not get skinnier, but build muscle and burn fat.

Here are my details:
    5'11, 165 pounds, 45 years old
    I was originally eating 1400 calories a day. As I got closer to my goal, I slowly added calories and now i'm eating around 1600 calories (my maintenance calories is 2400)
    My daily macros look like this, Fats 40-60g, Carbs 100g-120g, Protein 165g-180g.
    Don't know my waist size(maybe 34-36) or my BMI.

Here is my workout:
    Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
    35 second rest between each exercise and set.
    Inchworm to plank 5 sets, 35 second hold
    Lunges 3 sets of 5 (I'm using a bench to the side when i do lunges, cause i'm terrible at them and I have a hard time holding my balance)
    Pushups 4 sets of 10
    Dumbbell Row 3 sets of 10 (10 lbs dumbbells) With my chest/ stomach leaning on a tilted bench
    Dumbbell press 3 sets of 15 on flat bench (20 lbs dumbbells)
    Dumbbell overhead 3 sets of 15 on flat bench (20 lbs dumbbells)
    Dumbbell fly 3 sets of 15 done on the floor (20 lbs dumbbells)
    Skull crushers 3 sets of 10 done on the floor (10 lbs dumbbells)
    Leg lifts 3 sets 15 on floor
    21's 3 sets (10lbs weight)
    Standing Tricep extension 3 sets of 15 (20 lbs dumbbell)
    Farmhand 35 sec (20 lbs dumbbells)
    Sumo Squats with 25lb dumbbell 3 set of 15.

30 mins after each workout, I do 45 mins-1 hour of cardio which involves walking on the treadmill at 3 mph on a incline which I adjust from 3%-6%.
    Every 5 mins adjusting the incline up and down.

On Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
    I just do Cardio, which is walking on the treadmill for and hour and adjusting the incline from 11%,9% and 7% every 5 mins till I reach an hour.

Sunday is rest day.

Now This is where I get lost. Should I continue this route and just increase weight as I get stronger?
    Do I up my calories or keep them low? Do I need to add or change something?
    I would love to get somewhere between 10%-14% BMI.

I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me. Thanks.
    Attached Images

Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000) Tucane is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Great work so far!

Which direction to go is ultimately your choice. But if it were me, I'd start right away at 2000 calories. Past that I'd increase workload by either adding weight or reps. When you can't push through despite giving it all you got, add calories.

I understand that your goal is to be lean, but i'm certain your frame would benefit a lot from added muscle.
    Last edited by Tucane; 04-14-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    ~ Feel free to PM me if you have any questions ~

" As mind ~ as matter "

Originally Posted by Tucane View Post
    Great work so far!

Which direction to go is ultimately your choice. But if it were me, I'd start right away at 2000 calories. Past that I'd increase workload by either adding weight or reps. When you can't push through despite giving it all you got, add calories.

I understand that your goal is to be lean, but i'm certain your frame would benefit a lot from added muscle.
    Thanks for your response. I am reverse dieting right now, slowly adding calories each week. Hoping to up my weights/reps soon. just taking it slow so I don't hurt myself.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How long have you been lifting? Looking at your routine, I would say that you need to up the weights. I think it would be better to go on a better program (if you prefer dumbbells, there is a variation of Fierce 5 that uses them) but, overall, I'd say that you need to up your weight on most exercises. If you were to move to an established program like Fierce 5, it would tell you when to increase your weight. If you've been doing the program above for any period of time, I would expect the weights being used to be higher. The fact that they aren't makes me think that you either just started it or you aren't pushing yourself enough.

Originally Posted by spradish View Post
    How long have you been lifting? Looking at your routine, I would say that you need to up the weights. I think it would be better to go on a better program (if you prefer dumbbells, there is a variation of Fierce 5 that uses them) but, overall, I'd say that you need to up your weight on most exercises. If you were to move to an established program like Fierce 5, it would tell you when to increase your weight. If you've been doing the program above for any period of time, I would expect the weights being used to be higher. The fact that they aren't makes me think that you either just started it or you aren't pushing yourself enough.
    Yes, I just started. this is my first month of lifting.

New Jack Hustler RocknRollMuscle's Avatar
    RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RocknRollMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you can't outgym a bad diet.

diet diet diet
    Weight loss: IF, Lift, Low Carb, Baby Steps and one refeed day. Saved you hours of googling.
    Conservatives: Cut The Cord. Stop giving fake news money

Originally Posted by RocknRollMuscle View Post
    you can't outgym a bad diet.

diet diet diet
    Thats actually not a problem.
    I pretty much eat clean all week long. I do eat Quest Protein bars and snack on Trader Joe's Almond Butter Cocoa Bars from time to time when I'm in a hurry, or I feel like eating something bad, but other then that. This is my diet.

Protein: Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, Salmon, Eggs and Egg whites.
    Carbs: Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Black Beans, Oatmeal, Ezekiel Bread
    Fats: Avocado, Fish Oil, Olive oil, Almonds
    Veggies: Broccoli, Spinach, Peas, Carrots
    Supplements: Quest Protein power, BCAA and a multi vitamin
    Last edited by Dune736; 04-15-2019 at 07:25 PM.

TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000) TheUnderdog83 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Dune736 View Post
    Thats actually not a problem.
    I pretty much eat clean all week long. I do eat Quest Protein bars and snack on Trader Joe's Almond Butter Cocoa Bars from time to time when I'm in a hurry, or I feel like eating something bad, but other then that. This is my diet.

Protein: Chicken Breast, Turkey Breast, Salmon, Eggs and Egg whites.
    Carbs: Sweet Potatoes, Brown Rice, Black Beans, Oatmeal, Ezekiel Bread
    Fats: Avocado, Fish Oil, Olive oil, Almonds
    Veggies: Broccoli, Spinach, Peas, Carrots
    Supplements: Quest Protein power, BCAA and a multi vitamin
    I agree with you your diet is not he problem, you lost 75 pounds already. I agree with the above, stay on a proven lifting program, add some strength and muscle through the rest of this year.
    S: 360 pounds x 1 - 175 pound bw 3/2019
    B: 280 pounds x 1 - 175 pound bw 3/2019
    D: 380 pounds x 5 - 167 pound bw 4/2019
    OHP: 175 pounds x 1 - 175 pound bw 3/2019

Great guide to nutrition: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001&p=1481919401&viewfull=1#post1481919401

Originally Posted by TheUnderdog83 View Post
    I agree with you your diet is not he problem, you lost 75 pounds already. I agree with the above, stay on a proven lifting program, add some strength and muscle through the rest of this year.
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will work on upping the weights as I get stronger.