johack is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Muscle building frustration

Hi
    Im a 43 year old male I lost 123 lbs over past 2 years and have been lifting for a year, seeing strength increase until recently. Muscles grew initially well have not grown much in past 3 months. I'm DB benching 75s now started at 25s. My big issue is sleep. For past week I haven't got more than 3 hours in any 1 night. I wake up to use restroom and it's in my head now that I won't be able to go back to sleep...
    Question is can I still add muscle as long as diet, supplementation and gym effort are on point or should I give up and just stop working out and accept failure and obesity as inevitable since I can't sleep much?

my non-edited 'before'pic etet1919's Avatar
    etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) etet1919 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Big congrats to you for being able to lose 123 lbs. in 2 years!!! That must have taken a lot of discipline. And increasing your DB bench from 25s to 75s in 1 year is just as impressive!! But, as you know, restorative sleep is crucial in helping you retain these strength and weight loss goals, as well as a having relaxed and clear state of mind.

Obviously, you don't give up on your accomplishments...Remember the discipline and focus you had to achieve those results?? You still have them- you just need to find out why you're not sleeping well. Have you been consuming too much caffeine lately or using pre-workouts and training too close to bedtime? Are you eating too little or going to bed hungry? Are there other stressors (and worrying) that can be disrupting your sleep? Maybe you just need to talk to someone about whatever is on your mind. If severe disrupted sleep continues for another week or so, I would discuss this with a doc during a regular checkup. You don't need to be alarmed at this point- just figure out what's causing this sudden change...
    Last edited by etet1919; 04-02-2019 at 05:24 AM.
    Fact: My first-generation uncle was a boxer who fought Sugar Ray Robinson! He also fought in the war, sacrificing the career he deeply loved, so people could have the right to freedom.

Let's show RESPECT for the POLICE and ALL FIRST RESPONDERS by helping to keep THEM SAFE AND SOUND, and thereby able to PROTECT US!

JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JFW3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by johack View Post
    Hi
    Im a 43 year old male I lost 123 lbs over past 2 years and have been lifting for a year, seeing strength increase until recently. Muscles grew initially well have not grown much in past 3 months. I'm DB benching 75s now started at 25s. My big issue is sleep. For past week I haven't got more than 3 hours in any 1 night. I wake up to use restroom and it's in my head now that I won't be able to go back to sleep...
    Question is can I still add muscle as long as diet, supplementation and gym effort are on point or should I give up and just stop working out and accept failure and obesity as inevitable since I can't sleep much?

You will be able to still build and improve with low amounts of sleep yes, but sleep is very important, so like the other woman said, try and figure out what is making you not sleep, i really really like chamomile tea before bed, it just helps relax the mind and puts you into a more mellow state so that its easier to fall asleep.
    Instagram - JFW_3
    Exil.us

26-year-old Natural Pro Bodybuilder

Registered User rakeshkumar1998's Avatar
    rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Tough times don’t last. Tough people do. – Robert H. Schuller