stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fierce 5 Novice, Replacing RDL (Injury)

I've been back in the gym for 4 weeks after a fairly long lay off due to injury. Long story short, I have sciatica from a bulged disc and it still causes discomfort although I've found that being inactive and away from the gym completely makes it worse.

So I've been back on the Fierce 5 Novice routine for the last 4 weeks trying to build my strength back up. I'm very weak now, especially in my lower body but things have been going well. I can squat (back and front) with no pain and very little discomfort. However, deadlifting is not possible for me at the moment, I just can't pick weight up from the floor without pain. I've subbed Pendlays for a machine row. Romanian deadlifts cause me shooting pain, even without weight. In fact even stretching my hamstrings can hurt sometimes.

I've just been doing leg curls instead but for the sake of balance I'm worried if this is enough on it's own. I doubt I can do good mornings, my gym doesn't have a GHR machine. I'm tempted to throw in some back extensions (if I can do them safely, I haven't tried), either alongside the leg curls or instead of?

I would appreciate some advice, I'm just slightly worried my lower back isn't getting enough work.

Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am going to assume that you have been cleared by a medical professional to lift weights, and the following is for your reference only.

That said, it sounds like you could give hip thrusts a shot. I would start light and see how you feel. Many report improvement in low back pain after implementing barbell hip thrusts.
    "Listen, I want you to come down here and go dancing with me and we'll have fun together. You know you like The Spaniard, you know you like The Sith Lord, you know that. Hello? You're blushing, I know you're into The Sith Lord, I know it! Hello? Hello? Helloooo? Aww I lost connection."

stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10) stuntmanhy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great, thanks I might give hip thrusts a go, I reckon I can probably do them without aggravating anything. Would this be a like for like sub for RDLs, in terms of balance?

No I haven’t been cleared but the physio I was seeing only ever told me to stop deadlifting. I did however stop lifting completely for about 3 months.

I should specify, I haven’t had any pain in my lower back, all the pain is in the back of my right leg, mostly glute and hamstring. However the physio (and subsequently an MRI) confirmed that it was a bulging disc causing the pain.

Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by stuntmanhy View Post
    Great, thanks I might give hip thrusts a go, I reckon I can probably do them without aggravating anything. Would this be a like for like sub for RDLs, in terms of balance?
    If it's what you can manage at the time, yes. They train hip extension, though they work hamstrings less than an RDL, and leg curls train knee flexion, so they complement each other.

As for back pain, Stu McGill's approach (detailed in his book "Back Mechanic") has greatly helped with my own sciatic nerve issues, but again, this is just my own experience and not intended in any way as medical advice.
    "Listen, I want you to come down here and go dancing with me and we'll have fun together. You know you like The Spaniard, you know you like The Sith Lord, you know that. Hello? You're blushing, I know you're into The Sith Lord, I know it! Hello? Hello? Helloooo? Aww I lost connection."

Tried the hip thrusts yesterday with very light weight. They felt good, I'll need to practice the form and set up a bit. It's made me realise I'm struggling to fully activate my right glute, I'm hoping a lacrosse ball and more hip thrusting will solve this problem.

Thank you very much for your help, I will check out the book!