WeAreElectric WeAreElectric WeAreElectric WeAreElectric WeAreElectric WeAreElectric WeAreElectric WeAreElectric WeAreElectric WeAreElectric WeAreElectric

did i phuk up (SALARY NEGOTIATIONS)

during the phone screening, i told the recruiter 95k. she said that the range for that position tops out at 80k. i told her i'd be willing to do 80k with some type of bonus/guaranteed raise. i also mentioned that taking this position would mean a significant paycut, and that the reason i'm looking for another opportunity is that i don't feel i'm a good fit culture wise for my current position (if anyone remembers, i had a thread up talking about job opportunities, i ended up moving to orange county to work at a tech company). i currently make 100k but am looking to leave this company since i'm unhappy here.

i went through the interview, and everyone liked me. i got an offer today for 80k, with a 5k bonus; 50% guaranteed, 50% based on company performance. she asked for my initial reaction, and heres where i think i fooked up: i replied that i like the company and culture and the base salary is what i was expecting, but the bonus was not in line with what i was looking for. i told her i'd think about it over the weekend and that i'll call her on monday, and she didn't make it seem like the offer was firm.

i have no idea how our conversation is supposed to go now since i basically implied i was unhappy with the offer. help me brahs
    Last edited by WeAreElectric; 03-22-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by WeAreElectric View Post
    during the phone screening, i told the recruiter 95k. she said that the range for that position tops out at 80k. i told her i'd be willing to do 80k with some type of bonus/guaranteed raise. i also mentioned that taking this position would mean a significant paycut, and that the reason i'm looking for another opportunity is that i don't feel i'm a good fit culture wise for my current position (if anyone remembers, i had a thread up talking about job opportunities, i ended up moving to orange county to work at a tech company). i currently make 100k but am looking to leave this company since i'm unhappy here.

i went through the interview, and everyone liked me. i got an offer today for 80k, with a 5k bonus; 50% guaranteed, 50% based on company performance. she asked for my initial reaction, and heres where i think i fooked up: i replied that i like the company and culture and the base salary is what i was expecting, but the bonus was not in line with what i was looking for. i told her i'd think about it over the weekend and that i'll call her on monday, and she didn't make it seem like the offer was firm.

i have no idea how our conversation is supposed to go now since i basically implied i was unhappy with the offer. help me brahs
    That bonus is like it's not even there. I don't think you messed up , and if you had, why would you want that cut?

I would push for at least 15% bonus structure, paid quarterly.

_zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _zman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think you're doing fine, but I'd ask more questions etc.

Ask for some kind of guarantee that you'll get to where you want based on your performance. If you're meeting and exceeding expectations, are they willing to pay you what you think you're worth etc.
    ★★★ A State of Trance Crew ★★★
    ♞♞♞ Misc Horse Head Crew ♞♞♞

(((())))-------(((()))) Alex B.'s Avatar
    Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Alex B. is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I would suggest you change your strategy a bit. It's not really a good idea to say you want to leave because of the culture in the company, some may think that you are actually the problem. Also, why suggest you want to leave at all, if you are being recruited it's better to say you are fine staying where you are at if you don't like the offer.

That being said, they offered you the top of the their range but they don't think you are worth what you are asking. Unless you show them within the first year that you are worth 15-20k more, you will stay where you are .
    "Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger."

-James Joyce.

I REP BACK !!!

Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Anachron has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Even if you show them you are worth 15-20K more, it's harder to get that raise, than to negotiate it up front. As stated, it's the top of their range.