MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Workout shoes - flat vs heel raised

What are the pros/cons to workout shoes being flat or heel raised?

I want to buy some new workout shoes (currently use Nike trainers which I know is a poor choice) and see there are flat and raised types.

JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MattJ45 View Post
    What are the pros/cons to workout shoes being flat or heel raised?

I want to buy some new workout shoes (currently use Nike trainers which I know is a poor choice) and see there are flat and raised types.
    The not so quick answer is a good to great lifting shoe will give you a solid and minimally compressable outsole to help you feel locked into the shoe and connected to the floor.

Shoes w/a raised and solid heel - TPU, stacked leather, wood, high density/ non compressable foam - will help you reach depth in good form if you lack the overall flexibility to do so or you anatomy needs some compensation for idea results at depth. Heel heights range from .03 inch to over 1 inch, depending on your needs. They also should have a metatarsal strap, unless they are a BOA system which adidas has on some of their stuff now.

Flat lifting shoes are more rare, Metal and Sobo are the only ones I can think of w/true lifters in flat styles. These are for ppl w/o issues hitting depth and also for ppl that prefer to deadlift in a flat shoe. A lot of ppl sub in wrestling shoes here, but they lack a metatarsal strap to help lock you in...some think that matters, others don’t care.

I’ve lifted barefoot, in Chucks, Vans, NB Minimus, Do-Wins lifters, adidas Powerlifts and Power Perfect 2’s, Nike Rom 2’s and XD 3’s (the newest ones), and Metcons.

I prefer Vans, Rom 2’s and Power Perfects....they are all different but feel comfortable and have worked for their purpose.

Just avoid something squishy like a running shoe.
    No more "crews" or brand tribalism, unless Mech wants to make me a 1in hole, 2in on center, Open Top Rack w/stainless posts.

MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) MattJ45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JohnCuster View Post
    The not so quick answer is a good to great lifting shoe will give you a solid and minimally compressable outsole to help you feel locked into the shoe and connected to the floor.

Shoes w/a raised and solid heel - TPU, stacked leather, wood, high density/ non compressable foam - will help you reach depth in good form if you lack the overall flexibility to do so or you anatomy needs some compensation for idea results at depth. Heel heights range from .03 inch to over 1 inch, depending on your needs. They also should have a metatarsal strap, unless they are a BOA system which adidas has on some of their stuff now.

Flat lifting shoes are more rare, Metal and Sobo are the only ones I can think of w/true lifters in flat styles. These are for ppl w/o issues hitting depth and also for ppl that prefer to deadlift in a flat shoe. A lot of ppl sub in wrestling shoes here, but they lack a metatarsal strap to help lock you in...some think that matters, others don’t care.

I’ve lifted barefoot, in Chucks, Vans, NB Minimus, Do-Wins lifters, adidas Powerlifts and Power Perfect 2’s, Nike Rom 2’s and XD 3’s (the newest ones), and Metcons.

I prefer Vans, Rom 2’s and Power Perfects....they are all different but feel comfortable and have worked for their purpose.

Just avoid something squishy like a running shoe.
    OK think I understand that! Not sure if I need the heel or not tbh.

Someone in my gym once suggested a pair of indoor football shoes are good as they have a very solid sole (something like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Armou...hoe&th=1&psc=1), is that any good?

HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HeavyIron8 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    my anecdotal evidence is that a raised heel (adidas adipowers) lifting shoes enabled me to linearly progress on my squat by another 50 pounds before (5 pounds per workout), before I had to move on to more advanced programming. Probably has to do with better force transfer as a result of the raised heel and hard bottom/soles. I did have tight ankles, so that could have something to do with it too.
    Home gym set up:

Ok thanks. I can’t seem to work out if I need to go for it or not. I have flat feet as well, don’t know if that makes any difference

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ok thanks. I can’t seem to work out if I need to go for it or not. I have flat feet as well, don’t know if that makes any difference
    If you perform the Olympic lifts, then you will almost certainly benefit from a dedicated pair of lifting shoes with a heel to toe drop of at least 18mm, 3/4".

Other wise unless you have difficulty gaining full depth in the squat, you probably don't need to go with a shoe that has such an aggressive heel to toe drop.

Since I now rarely perform the Oly lifts, I generally wear a more minimalist type shoe,(Inov8 F252), with a heel to toe drop of 9mm, 3/8".

xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) xsquid99 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I love my Adidas powerlifts, great shoes, but I really only use them for squats.

The only other shoes I use for lifting are my Converse chucks which I use for deadlifts (I don't like the forward lean/heel of the Adidas when I'm deadlifting).
    All it takes is consistency, effort, proper nutrition, good programming, and TIME.

Don't be upset with the results you didn't get from the work you did not do.

JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JohnCuster is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    OK think I understand that! Not sure if I need the heel or not tbh.

Someone in my gym once suggested a pair of indoor football shoes are good as they have a very solid sole (something like these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Armou...hoe&th=1&psc=1), is that any good?
    I’m a bit of a soccer/football shoe/boot expert, or least I was in a past life. Those are ok, but Samba Orginals are better and I’d still say a wrestling boot is better than either of those.

In terms of “needing” a pair of raised heel shoes...I don’t know many people that regret getting a pair...it is really going to depend on your anthropometry, body positioning under load, and bar position when squatting.

Alan Thrall has a good video here: http://www.trainuntamed.com/how-to-s...hen-squatting/

Barbell Logic also has a good video, although ppl like to crap on BBL/SSOC, much of their content is good and useful: https://youtu.be/3CN6XLGBPPI
    Last edited by JohnCuster; 03-19-2019 at 04:28 AM.
    No more "crews" or brand tribalism, unless Mech wants to make me a 1in hole, 2in on center, Open Top Rack w/stainless posts.

shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000) shadowroth is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can use either. The heel helps you reach better depth if flexibility is a limiting factor. But mainly it's used so that when you have weigh over your head in Olympic lifts the weight is at a better position in line with your heel. Personally it's preferences I squat with adipowers bit squat barefoot flat sometimes
    $broke from supplements crew$
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Shorter femur = taller heel

Longer femur = shorter heel
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have any advice on which shoes to look at if I do go for some dedicated weightlifting shoes?

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Watch the Adidas site for sales. I have found their shoes to run true in size but narrow.

https://www.adidas.com/us/weightlift...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have any advice on which shoes to look at if I do go for some dedicated weightlifting shoes?
    Adidas AdiPower and Power Perfect 2 are my two picks from them on recent offerings, but they are both discontinued so you will have to search a bit for them vs. just finding them on the adidas store front site. The new PowerLift 4 is an interesting entry level shoe and likely fine for you.

Nike's Romaleo 3 XD is very good and a marked improvement over the older Romaleo 3; the discontinued Romaleo 2 is a very good model, if you can find it.

Keep in mind that these shoe last a lot longer than your standard trainer, so you will have them for years, in theory...if you hit the jackpot on one that isn't made anymore, get two pairs and you should be covered for the next 10 years.

Ah ok thanks.

Any used Nike Metcons? Are they any good?

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I used addipower raised heel until I had enough ankle mobility to wear flats. You can find deals on amazon. I now only wear wrestling shoes (ASICS matflex) because I have ankle mobility and they allow me to feel the floor better. Wrestling shoes are also great for deadlifts. If you buy weightlifting shoes you will probably find them only good for squats and might not like clomping around in them for other lifts.

Ah ok thanks.

Any used Nike Metcons? Are they any good?
    They will suffice for deadlifts, but I’d rather lift/train in Vans than Metcons if I had to pick.

Metcons are fine for a warm up or Assault Biking, but I wouldn’t do much more in them, unless forced...but I have options.

Just get the lifting shoes and a pair of Vans, figure out what you like...worst case you can wear the Vans outside the gym and if you hate the lifters, chuck them on eBay.

sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have stiff, tight ankles from old injuries, so I use a lifting shoe with raised heel with squats; otherwise, I get pain in the Achilles tendon/plantar joint. Don't really need them for anything else.