NesimDurmus is on a distinguished road. (+10)

First time running 5x5, but i just started cutting.

Hey guys so I've been lifting consistently for a year and I run push/pull/legs never really followed any programs though. I just ended my 9 month bulk going from 167 to 185(5'8). But now i just started a slow cut for the summer and I want to start running 5x5 since i never did this program before(I regret not doing it when i first started lifting). Since even though i been lifting for a while if i run 5x5 while cutting will I be making any strength gains or no? I actually ran 5x5 this morning with bench only and I was able to do 160lbs on my bench just to try it(I know my bench is weak lol). I havent tested with squats and deadlifts yet but will do next session. Thank you guys anything is appreciated.
    Last edited by NesimDurmus; 03-15-2019 at 09:58 AM.

NesimDurmus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bump

JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000) JMadden is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by NesimDurmus View Post
    Hey guys so I've been lifting consistently for a year and I run push/pull/legs never really followed any programs though. I just ended my 9 month bulk going from 167 to 185(5'8). But now i just started a slow cut for the summer and I want to start running 5x5 since i never did this program before(I regret not doing it when i first started lifting). Since even though i been lifting for a while if i run 5x5 while cutting will I be making any strength gains or no? I actually ran 5x5 this morning with bench only and I was able to do 160lbs on my bench just to try it(I know my bench is weak lol). I havent tested with squats and deadlifts yet but will do next session. Thank you guys anything is appreciated.
    It is hard to say without knowing what you have been doing for the year that you have been lifting and how much of a caloric deficit you will have...but, assuming a reasonable deficit - with only a year under your belt and not being on high frequency, low volume program like 5x5, you should definitely be able to gain strength...quite frankly, it you are aren't progressing and getting stronger, something is wrong.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes you will be able to increase with strength when on a cut, strength is manipulated by many factors other then just calories consumed, when you progress on your cut you may get to a point where strength stalls and even possibly dips for a while (this will return once you start eating at maintenance). However you should aim to keep progressing and most likely you will especially if you are cutting slowly as calorie restricting will not been to harsh to effect your workouts.

As for '5X5' I am guessing you mean either Starting Strength or StrongLifts whichever one it is make sure you follow the program and you should be fine.

Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yes you will make nove strength gains with this or even better starting strength but not on a cut

Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Nubygaines is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    Yes you will be able to increase with strength when on a cut, strength is manipulated by many factors other then just calories consumed, when you progress on your cut you may get to a point where strength stalls and even possibly dips for a while (this will return once you start eating at maintenance). However you should aim to keep progressing and most likely you will especially if you are cutting slowly as calorie restricting will not been to harsh to effect your workouts.

As for '5X5' I am guessing you mean either Starting Strength or StrongLifts whichever one it is make sure you follow the program and you should be fine.
    starting strength is not 5x5