Thread: Power rack help

ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Power rack help

Just started lifting again and looking to start up a home gym. I've been looking at some power racks and need help with making a decision or other recommendations if you have them.

Unfortunately my basement ceiling is only 81" in height so it limits my options.

Right now my options seem to be between these 3, as they all offer 72" versions of the racks.

Bells of Steel:
    Resedential Rack
    Light Commercial Rack

Titan Fitness:
    T-2 Series

If you guys can give me any insight to my best options it would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Tried posting links to these items, but no post history.

BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BenMcLeodNZ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You might squeeze in a GPR378. Whatever you get for your budget, choose the sturdy option over one with lots of features.

cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cwcmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ZigZag81 View Post
    Just started lifting again and looking to start up a home gym. I've been looking at some power racks and need help with making a decision or other recommendations if you have them.

Unfortunately my basement ceiling is only 81" in height so it limits my options.

Right now my options seem to be between these 3, as they all offer 72" versions of the racks.

Bells of Steel:
    Resedential Rack
    Light Commercial Rack

Titan Fitness:
    T-2 Series

If you guys can give me any insight to my best options it would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Tried posting links to these items, but no post history.
    You can also look at Rogue and cut the uprights yourself or pay them to do it (although they charge a silly amount to cut them. Companies like Legend will custom cut to height but are fully welded sides so hard to get into a basement. Of course both of these will be much more.

Rep Fitness may cut theirs or you can get one of their racks and cut it yourself (really any bolt together rack can be cut down
    {5'7" and under #1}
    ▪█───█▪ Equipment Crew #77 ▪█───█▪
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew - Can't recall number [M]===[6]

sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I know Titan gets a lot of hate on here, but I have the X-3 Short as I also have a low ceiling. I've had it for 2 years now and have no complaints.

https://www.titan.fitness/cages-and-...ll-models.html
    Height = 6'3"
    Weight = 215

Max
    Bench = 335
    Squat = 365
    Dead = 425

radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Rep sells a short rack that fits the bill.

https://www.repfitness.com/strength-...ks/rep-pr-1050

It's cheap enough that you could sell if you reach the 700 lb weight rating and get a higher end rack cut down. Or, by then you may be someplace with higher ceilings. Squatting 700 lbs is elite tier, but I assume the rating includes all weights and accessories supported simultaneously by the rack. It's probably a conservative rating as well.

ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZigZag81 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Rep sells a short rack that fits the bill.

It's cheap enough that you could sell if you reach the 700 lb weight rating and get a higher end rack cut down. Or, by then you may be someplace with higher ceilings. Squatting 700 lbs is elite tier, but I assume the rating includes all weights and accessories supported simultaneously by the rack. It's probably a conservative rating as well.
    The biggest downside with this option is that it's currently out of stock. I'm currently just using an old Tuff Stuff flat/incline bench with the arms extended to squat with and it's getting dangerous to step over the crossbar when unracking the weight.
    Last edited by ZigZag81; 03-15-2019 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Originally Posted by sandcar3 View Post
    I know Titan gets a lot of hate on here, but I have the X-3 Short as I also have a low ceiling. I've had it for 2 years now and have no complaints.
    I'll probably be building a platform to put the rack on, and since the option of cutting down a bit was brought up, both the bolt down and flat foot options of this rack may work. Just a couple questions for you. First, was their any particular reason you went with the bolt down model vs. the flat foot model? From the looks of the pictures on the website the upper foot or so of hole spacing appears uniform, can you confirm that so I know if I'd be able to cut off the tops and still be able to mount the crossbeams. Thanks

Originally Posted by cwcmac View Post
    You can also look at Rogue and cut the uprights yourself or pay them to do it (although they charge a silly amount to cut them. Companies like Legend will custom cut to height but are fully welded sides so hard to get into a basement. Of course both of these will be much more.

Rep Fitness may cut theirs or you can get one of their racks and cut it yourself (really any bolt together rack can be cut down
    Any tips for cutting down the uprights? I assume a chop saw would be best to get an even cut, and would there be a need for cutting oil to help prevent any damage? After cutting do the tops need to be painted at all to prevent rusting?

radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The biggest downside with this option is that it's currently out of stock. I'm currently just using an old Tuff Stuff flat/incline bench with the arms extended to squat with and it's getting dangerous to step over the crossbar when unracking the weight.
    Fair enough. I'd give them a call and see if there is an ETA.

sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sandcar3 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'll probably be building a platform to put the rack on, and since the option of cutting down a bit was brought up, both the bolt down and flat foot options of this rack may work. Just a couple questions for you. First, was their any particular reason you went with the bolt down model vs. the flat foot model? From the looks of the pictures on the website the upper foot or so of hole spacing appears uniform, can you confirm that so I know if I'd be able to cut off the tops and still be able to mount the crossbeams. Thanks
    I went with the flat foot as I wasn't excited about the prospect of bolting into my floor. When I first put it together even without any weight on it to act as a counter balance I could do pull ups on it (was around 220 pounds at the time) without any sense that it might tip. And yes, the hole spacing is uniform all the way up, could definitely cut it lower.
    Height = 6'3"
    Weight = 215

Max
    Bench = 335
    Squat = 365
    Dead = 425

Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Murser has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Any tips for cutting down the uprights? I assume a chop saw would be best to get an even cut, and would there be a need for cutting oil to help prevent any damage? After cutting do the tops need to be painted at all to prevent rusting?
    Chop saw, reciprocating saw, or grinder. In that order, though any of them will work. No need to paint, interior is going to be raw steel anyways.

Originally Posted by Murser View Post
    Chop saw, reciprocating saw, or grinder. In that order, though any of them will work. No need to paint, interior is going to be raw steel anyways.
    Chop or miter saw is probably ideal. If you're good with a reciprocating saw, it will definitely do the job, but this probably shouldn't be your first project. Reciprocating saw is generally best for rough, quick, demolition type work. I haven't used a grinder, so I don't have anything there.

weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) weisgarb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by radrd View Post
    Chop or miter saw is probably ideal. If you're good with a reciprocating saw, it will definitely do the job, but this probably shouldn't be your first project. Reciprocating saw is generally best for rough, quick, demolition type work. I haven't used a grinder, so I don't have anything there.
    I've using a grinder with a cutting wheel before. You can do a good job if you take your time and don't rush.
    ()---() York Barbell Club #49 ()---() ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #11 ──<//>─<\\>──

lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lsi1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    its the top of the rack not finish carpentry use whatever you can get your hands on that can cut metal. the cheaper lighter gauge racks will cut just fine with a hack saw just mark a good line to follow. A good blade and determination you could cut down anything.
    Best Lifts
    BP 235
    SQ 365
    DL 435
    ohp 175
    110 total pounds lost
    Working hard at making those numbers respectable.