bl03 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy I want to quit before I start

I decided to make an account to post this because I guessed that this website would be sort of helpful.

I want to begin lifting and being more physically fit but anytime I think about it, I become discouraged. Primarily because of a things:

1) It seems that what you eat is a major factor in health and fitness, but it seems like I hear conflicting statements about what I should do. I want to get out of the skinnyfat stage and become more lean but I often hear opposite statements. Some say I should do cardio and reduce calories, others suggest bulking and then cutting. If I knew which one worker, I’d go for it.

2) I feel like I’m being lied to because there seems so be so much conflicting information in the world of fitness it becomes overwhelming because I feel like no matter what I do, I will mess it up somehow. I also feel like anytime I watch a YouTube video or read an article, that they are keeping secrets from me in an attempt to get me to pay them to actually learn how to be better.

3) As I mentioned previously, I feel like I am constantly encountering conflicting information. It seems like no matter what the topic is, I am told different things by different people and I don’t know what to believe.

I really just want to better myself but I often think about giving up any hope of being healthy because I am overwhelmed by all of it.

My goals: I want to no longer be “skinny fat” and would like to become more lean while also muscular. If that means bulking, which I don’t know how to do but might be able to figure it out, and the cutting, fine. I just want to not screw it up.

There’s just so much to take in and it becomes really discouraging.

Note: I am not 49. I don’t know how to change the listed age.
    Last edited by bl03; 03-14-2019 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Addition of a note

amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    When you think of the big picture of your fitness it can be very overwhelming because there are a lot of small things. Start small and build up until you are more comfortable, the most important thing that you need to understand is that your fitness is about you. You need to do what feels right for your body and don’t worry about how you compare to other people.

I would suggest focusing on one main thing at a time, maybe don’t focus so much on nailing your diet right away. You could focus on actually going to the gym one week, then focus on your form one week, focus on diet the next, etc.

You also should try to not be so hard on yourself. We all fail in the gym or in our diets some times, no one is perfect. Go at your own pace and learn from your failures, don’t let them beat you down. I’ve had some really embarrassing gym moments, you’ll get used to it eventually. 🙂

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You are absolutely correct...the fitness industry is filled with conflicting information, a focus on the unimportant minutia, and lots of BS (bull-sh*t or bro-science...whichever you like).

The reason is that there is BIG money in this. People want to look good and be healthy, and most people are willing to pay money for the quickest, easiest way to get it done.

Lucky for you...this thing is actually Very simple...although you might not believe me.

Eat better foods. You do not need to obsess about this or read all those fancy diets. Try to eat healthier foods (you know what they are, and you know what’s just bad for you). This doesn’t mean you can’t have burgers and pizza. Everything has nutritional value. Just make the majority of your choices good real food. Everything in moderation.

Eat for your goals. The body is a machine and food is fuel. For most people it’s as simple as calories in, calories out. If you want to lose weight, eat less calories...if you want to gain weight, eat more. Simple. You can use an online calculator to guesstimate your TDEE as a starting point and go from there. You will have to accurately count your calories, but it’s simpler than it sounds.

Work out! If you are looking to gain muscle, it’s as simple as picking a good beginners program. Follow it as written and you don’t have to worry about program design or progression. What’s more important than the program itself is consistancy and effort. You MUST be consistent! Off and on will get you nowhere. You must put effort into your workouts. Going through the motions gets you nowhere...you need to push your body to adapt to something it’s not used to doing.

Recover. Your body grows while you recover between workouts. Get a good nights sleep, and avoid the temptation to do too much.

Here are some useful links:

Beginner bodybuilding program:
    Fierce 5 Novice routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories to suit your specific goal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1481919401

Whew, that was longer than I planned...hope it helps. Good luck!

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to be lazy and do nothing... and sounds like you found that excuse.

Never accept defeat! backinthegymbro's Avatar
    backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) backinthegymbro has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How about just going to the gym first and get a routine going? Worry about diet after the first month. Just get into habit first.
    Start lifting and follow a proper routine.
    Read Arnold Schwarzenegger education of a bodybuilder for a good introduction to fitness that isn't as much to read , as to his encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding.

Eventually if you want to lean out, just eat 500 calories below your daily requirements and if you want to lean bulk, then you eat 500 calories over it per day.
    It's not rocket science.
    Cobra Kai never dies!

OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100) OddFix is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly
    Yoooooooo, that link is ****ing amazing. Thank you so much, holy ****. You're literally the best.

MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MrCarrot is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Every time I've gotten into lifting I've always promised myself I won't obsess over diet and food, and will just focus on working out.

What actually happens is I bust my ass in the gym and then decide if I'm putting in the effort then I shouldn't short change myself, and should eat right.

Moral of the story: start working out and then figure out your diet as you go along.

joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) joshvicente23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    As a beginner, all the little details you’re stressing over aren’t going to matter very much. As long as you pick a reliable program and eat according to your goals you’re going to see results. Then as you expand your knowledge and experience you form your own opinions on some of the controversial issues and you start to dial in everything else. The biggest thing is just starting.
    5’5” 130
    165 Clean
    185 Bench
    225 Squat
    245 Dead

Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000) Cavalerium is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Just and don't talk. Talking never helped.

Registered User rakeshkumar1998's Avatar
    rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100) rakeshkumar1998 is not very well liked. (-100)
    You have to be at your strongest when you’re feeling at your weakest. – Unknown

andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) andy0w has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, skinnyfat is quite confusing too.

There you are.

As any lifting will tax your joints keep moving to lubricate and nourish your joints properly.

So start with moving more and getting more range of motion in.

Then add weight to the movement to get more muscles.

On the diet side - change it. Get more proteins, reduce carbs, get more fibres, minerals, water and vitamins.
    Cycling, walking, swimming.
    No car.

OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) OMGWTFBBQ? is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You may wish to try to have posters of your end goal and keep with the images.

Create a type of vision board. If a million others who are even less motivated than you can complete their goals, so can you.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    You are absolutely correct...the fitness industry is filled with conflicting information, a focus on the unimportant minutia, and lots of BS (bull-sh*t or bro-science...whichever you like).

The reason is that there is BIG money in this. People want to look good and be healthy, and most people are willing to pay money for the quickest, easiest way to get it done.

Lucky for you...this thing is actually Very simple...although you might not believe me.

Eat better foods. You do not need to obsess about this or read all those fancy diets. Try to eat healthier foods (you know what they are, and you know what’s just bad for you). This doesn’t mean you can’t have burgers and pizza. Everything has nutritional value. Just make the majority of your choices good real food. Everything in moderation.

Eat for your goals. The body is a machine and food is fuel. For most people it’s as simple as calories in, calories out. If you want to lose weight, eat less calories...if you want to gain weight, eat more. Simple. You can use an online calculator to guesstimate your TDEE as a starting point and go from there. You will have to accurately count your calories, but it’s simpler than it sounds.

Work out! If you are looking to gain muscle, it’s as simple as picking a good beginners program. Follow it as written and you don’t have to worry about program design or progression. What’s more important than the program itself is consistancy and effort. You MUST be consistent! Off and on will get you nowhere. You must put effort into your workouts. Going through the motions gets you nowhere...you need to push your body to adapt to something it’s not used to doing.

Recover. Your body grows while you recover between workouts. Get a good nights sleep, and avoid the temptation to do too much.

Here are some useful links:

Beginner bodybuilding program:
    Fierce 5 Novice routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories to suit your specific goal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1481919401

Whew, that was longer than I planned...hope it helps. Good luck!
    Came to this thread to post helpful words. Left satisfied that it's already been said.

Listen to Grubman, OP. He knows of what he speaks.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Registered User shreyamathur651's Avatar
    shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) shreyamathur651 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Same Happens With me!

BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigChuungus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its all in your head. The above posts is what you need. Good luck!
    ¿Do You Even Lift?

Greek Mythology says that when Atlas died, King Ron replaced him to hold earth on his shoulders. And he was screaming "Yeah Buddy, Ain't Nothing But A Peanut"

MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MadFrogger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Simple recipe for you bro:

- Eat about 180gms of protein each day
    - Do 3x strong lifts per week
    - Slightly reduce your carbs
    - Do about 10 mins of skipping in the morning (fasted)

You will start to get stronger + feel healthier within 2 weeks

dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dc3119 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yeah, lot of confusing advice out there, but most of it is good. Just follow the plans that sound the most reasonable and things will work out. You'll get to a point where you know yourself what's working and what's not - the most important thing to just start doing it

stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) stillbored is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Going to the gym is like going to an AA meeting, no one wants to go but when you get there everything’s ok.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP hasn't posted back since March. I guess he quit before he started.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire