NHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Not gaining weight + mass gainers

Hello hello
    So, I've struggled in the past with anorexia. I am now at a good place mentally and am trying to focus on eating correctly and gaining. I'm a vegetarian, 5ft 3 108lbs and currently taking in 2,000 a day. I still feel pretty hungry but eating more has become a chore.

Would you rec. weight gainers? I am working out 5 days a week focusing on weight training and only do about 10mins of cardio every other day. I am on my feet all day for my job as well. I'm just having a lot of trouble gaining weight and always feel hungry even after eating so much. Any advice? sorry if this is all over the place. I'm a bit all over the place right now myself haha.
    Last edited by NHeart; 03-09-2019 at 06:39 AM. Reason: A bit more info

PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by NHeart View Post
    Hello hello
    So, I've struggled in the past with anorexia. I am now at a good place mentally and am trying to focus on eating correctly and gaining. I'm a vegetarian, 5ft 3 108lbs and currently taking in 2,000 a day. I still feel pretty hungry but eating more has become a chore.

Would you rec. weight gainers? I am working out 5 days a week focusing on weight training and only do about 10mins of cardio every other day. I am on my feet all day for my job as well. I'm just having a lot of trouble gaining weight and always feel hungry even after eating so much. Any advice? sorry if this is all over the place. I'm a bit all over the place right now myself haha.
    I think the answers to your concerns are more complicated than adding a weight gainer powder. I think you’ll notice hesitation by forum members regarding advice to someone who has struggled with an eating disorder. I’m really glad to hear you are doing better, but as you probably already know, the same propensity for you to struggle with anorexia can make you vulnerable to other types of issues. I know this is a body building site, and many members count all their calories and macros. And that is fine especially if their goals are competitive body building. What I’m saying is that some people can count every calorie while still not developing an eating disorder. However, someone like You may want to learn how to intuitively eat, listening to your natural hunger etc. please talk to your medical team about it. Do you have a nutritionist? If you received treatment for anorexia, you should have had a nutritionist who can provide lists of real foods to meet your caloric needs. My child had anorexia which was caught early. But we did go through more than a year of treatment. “Fake” foods such as protein shakes or bars were off limits. The goal is eat normally and to not be obsessed. So talk to your nutritionist, but I don’t think replacing food with shakes may be a good idea for you. Like I mention above, they may be fine for others but maybe not for someone overcoming an eating disorder. You don’t say what you do eat, but maybe you need more than 2000 calories or more fat to help with your hunger. You need all the macros, but in a nutshell, carbs give energy, protein supports muscle, and fat satiates hunger. Lack of fat may make you hungry even if you eat enough. Lack of carbs may make you tired.
    Last edited by PattyU; 03-09-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Typo

NHeart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by PattyU View Post
    I think the answers to your concerns are more complicated than adding a weight gainer powder. I think you’ll notice hesitation by forum members regarding advice to someone who has struggled with an eating disorder. I’m really glad to hear you are doing better, but as you probably already know, the same propensity for you to struggle with anorexia can make you vulnerable to other types of issues. I know this is a body building site, and many members count all their calories and macros. And that is fine especially if their goals are competitive body building. What I’m saying is that some people can count every calorie while still not developing an eating disorder. However, someone like You may want to learn how to intuitively eat, listening to your natural hunger etc. please talk to your medical team about it. Do you have a nutritionist? If you received treatment for anorexia, you should have had a nutritionist who can provide lists of real foods to meet your caloric needs. My child had anorexia which was caught early. But we did go through more than a year of treatment. “Fake” foods such as protein shakes or bars were off limits. The goal is eat normally and to not be obsessed. So talk to your nutritionist, but I don’t think replacing food with shakes may be a good idea for you. Like I mention above, they may be fine for others but maybe not for someone overcoming an eating disorder. You don’t say what you do eat, but maybe you need more than 2000 calories or more fat to help with your hunger. You need all the macros, but in a nutshell, carbs give energy, protein supports muscle, and fat satiates hunger. Lack of fat may make you hungry even if you eat enough. Lack of carbs may make you tired.

Thank you so much for your response! I am going to set up a meeting with my nutritionist. Thank you for setting my head straight. I am eating a lot of whole grain, veggies and of course lots of tofu. I'm eating a lot more carbs than fats. I think you are right. I need to start listening to my body more. Thank you, again, for the advice.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NHeart View Post
    Thank you so much for your response! I am going to set up a meeting with my nutritionist. Thank you for setting my head straight. I am eating a lot of whole grain, veggies and of course lots of tofu. I'm eating a lot more carbs than fats. I think you are right. I need to start listening to my body more. Thank you, again, for the advice.
    Start using more fats. It's one of the easiest ways to increase calories.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Nutrition Coach/Trainer:
    http://www.iron-kim.com

vitality4life is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    if you're a vegan eat more beans with your meals and nuts for snacks.