JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Losing size but not strength (cutting)

So I've been cutting for 2 months now and have dropped 14lbs. and am happy with my progress but am noticing that my muscle mass is decreasing... but my strength is still the same. I'm still using the same weight and rep/set ranges without any struggle, in fact on some lifts I'm still going up in weight.

What gives?

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by JJsevens View Post
    So I've been cutting for 2 months now and have dropped 14lbs. and am happy with my progress but am noticing that my muscle mass is decreasing... but my strength is still the same. I'm still using the same weight and rep/set ranges without any struggle, in fact on some lifts I'm still going up in weight.

What gives?
    What method are you using to determine loss of muscle mass?

Cutting makes us smaller, that's how it works. Fat loss makes us look smaller, we always look "buffer" before a cut because there's more "meat on the bones."

JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50) JJsevens will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    What method are you using to determine loss of muscle mass?

Cutting makes us smaller, that's how it works. Fat loss makes us look smaller, we always look "buffer" before a cut because there's more "meat on the bones."
    Visually... My arms and legs look skinnier.... And I hear you on that, but literally my muscle mass is decreasing.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visually... My arms and legs look skinnier.... And I hear you on that, but literally my muscle mass is decreasing.
    Well, usually the best indicator of muscle retention on a cut is maintaining your strength, which you claim to be doing - so my guess is it's all in your head, but obviously I don't know for sure.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You probably just had more fat than you thought. As you lose that fat, yeah, where you lose that fat from will typically look smaller.

[If your strength is unchanged and you're getting adequate protein, it's doubtful you are losing muscle mass. You MAY be a little flatter if you're restricting carbs, though.]

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    You probably just had more fat than you thought. As you lose that fat, yeah, where you lose that fat from will typically look smaller.

[If your strength is unchanged and you're getting adequate protein, it's doubtful you are losing muscle mass. You MAY be a little flatter if you're restricting carbs, though.]
    Ya keeping protein high, fats medium, carb low.... Can low carbs have that effect?

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Ya keeping protein high, fats medium, carb low.... Can low carbs have that effect?
    Yes. Once you start eating more, your muscles will fill out out with more glycogen. What you're describing is what people are talking about when they talk about flat muscles. It's not actual muscle loss.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    if you're losing weight but not strength, I doubt you're losing noticeable amounts of muscle mass. Looking skinny is probably just from fat loss. I was shocked the first time I lost a significant amount of weight by how much smaller I looked.

And yeah, carb restriction will make you look much flatter. It's not actual muscle loss.

14 pounds in 2 months is solid progress, and makes me feel like you're not in too extreme a deficit. I'd say keep up with it and just recognize that you're going to lose some size
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

Originally Posted by bLinkMoore View Post
    if you're losing weight but not strength, I doubt you're losing noticeable amounts of muscle mass. Looking skinny is probably just from fat loss. I was shocked the first time I lost a significant amount of weight by how much smaller I looked.

And yeah, carb restriction will make you look much flatter. It's not actual muscle loss.

14 pounds in 2 months is solid progress, and makes me feel like you're not in too extreme a deficit. I'd say keep up with it and just recognize that you're going to lose some size
    Ya I'm sticking to a moderate 400cal defecit...

What about carb cycling.. Would this help maintain that fullness?

TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There’s no need to cycle carbs, eat them everyday. Stay at your deficit and you will continue to lose fat. When you increase carbs you’ll gain a few pound of water weight, but that water weight will fill your muscles out.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    400cals and you'll be fine.

No need to cycle your carbs. Just focus on the deficit and hitting your protein goal
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As spradish said it simple is water reduction in the muscle as muscle is made of about 70-80% water.

http://gira.cadouarn.pagesperso-oran...tal_muscle.htm

I wouldn't worry too much about fullness if I am honest. You could just consume more carbs and lower fats/ protein a bit if you have room within your calories. That generally will help retain water in the muscle.

Generally if you are keeping strength or even gaining that is a good sign muscle lose is at a minimum. Another aspect could be that you underestimated how much lbm to fat ratio you have (this effects most people). However it most likely is water amounts due to low carbs.

Ok will stay the course and continue with what I'm doing, thanks for the replies fellas, cheers!