GHSathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting Strength a good choice?

Hey guys, wondering if Starting Strength would be a good choice for a wrestler during off season. I'm considering this in large part due to my strength being down from having labrum surgery. I'm five 5 months out of surgery, and after lifting for the last 3 weeks here are my stats

5'5 135
    Bench 130*5
    Squat 195*5
    Deadlift 255*5
    Power clean 125*5

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just fine, worry less about finding a perfect beginners program and focus on consistency of effort.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    you should discuss this with your wrestling coach. You should also discuss this with your Orthopedic Surgeon and your PT. Getting back to weights after labrum surgery is typically at 4 months post op and you start very, very slowly. I'm not sure if parts of Starting Strength should be done at 5 months post op. Your repaired shoulder is probably still tight in ROM needed for doing squats and full range bench press. IIRC when my son went back to lifting he was on 3x15-20 for various exercises starting with curls and rows (yes, I know, curls). Since his shoulder wasn't loose enough he did SSB squats, then would do warm up with a bar, and heavy on SSB squats. NO EXPLOSIVE MOTIONS until 10-12 months post op (so forget the hang or power clean for awhile). With bench he started with a broom, then a bar, then a bar with 10's and 6 boards. The idea was to build up the ROM (i.e. removing a board each week) until he was benching 135 with excellent form and no pain. The he progressed up to 185lb or so and then started reducing reps and increasing sets, but that was around 10 months post op.

Goldenmanee is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the useful information

Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Noetic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    SS is good for squat and deadlift form and thats important. I played football in high school and college and saw too many guys jack themselves up with poor forum (got to keep that concave arch in lower back so you use back muscles along spine and not the more delicate connective tissues). I always stayed away from deadlifts just out of fear but Mark Rippetoe and Elliot Hulse got me on the right track. Even just using a bar and working on form will enhance the neurological pathways that make leaps in ability possible. Sometimes lifters just surge ahead at some point, and while the muscle workouts help of course, sometimes its the heightened neurological development kicking in.

You could also look into Stanford football's techniques. They dont focus on heavy weights as much as form and flexibility. Their injuries went down over 75%

You dont have to rush back to heavy weights to develop yourself - especially as a wrestler. I never got hurt playing football but I jacked-up an ankle tendon wrestling roommates lol

Stanford’s Distinct Training Regimen Redefines Strength
    https://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/s...-strength.html