ummimraan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Trouble getting into Ketosis after a cheat weekend

So I've been doing keto for about 2 months. I had 1 cheat weekend and came back trying hard to get into ketosis. I'm 5'0", workout 4-5 days per week, 152 lbs, and trying to stick to 1200-1400 calories a day. I actually did an egg fast on Monday and Tuesday morning my keto strips showed <.5 on the keto color guide. It wasn't completely neutral, but it wasn't full blown ketosis. My macros yesterday were 5% TOTAL carbs, 25% protein, 70% fat. My macros from the day before that were 3% TOTAL carbs, 25% protein and 72% fat. The day before that 4% total carb, 26% protein, and 69% fat. I don't know if the strips are just not picking things up. . .

I'm frustrated. I have only 15 more pounds to loose. I lost 7 right away. Gained back 1. Cheated on that weekend and gained it all back, and then lost it in 2 days which makes me feel like its only water weight that I have actually lost. I have been stuck at 152 for 6 weeks and I'm frustrated.

Any suggestions are welcome.

JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500) JCubb12 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ummimraan View Post
    So I've been doing keto for about 2 months. I had 1 cheat weekend and came back trying hard to get into ketosis. I'm 5'0", workout 4-5 days per week, 152 lbs, and trying to stick to 1200-1400 calories a day. I actually did an egg fast on Monday and Tuesday morning my keto strips showed <.5 on the keto color guide. It wasn't completely neutral, but it wasn't full blown ketosis. My macros yesterday were 5% TOTAL carbs, 25% protein, 70% fat. My macros from the day before that were 3% TOTAL carbs, 25% protein and 72% fat. The day before that 4% total carb, 26% protein, and 69% fat. I don't know if the strips are just not picking things up. . .

I'm frustrated. I have only 15 more pounds to loose. I lost 7 right away. Gained back 1. Cheated on that weekend and gained it all back, and then lost it in 2 days which makes me feel like its only water weight that I have actually lost. I have been stuck at 152 for 6 weeks and I'm frustrated.

Any suggestions are welcome.
    Your body can store on average about ~500g of glycogen. This includes muscle and liver glycogen. Based on your size you are probably right around this number, maybe slightly under. Big guys can obviously store more.

For every g of glycogen in your body, your body stores another 2-3 g of water. So you are looking at ~4.5lbs of glycogen and water weight loss just from cutting the carbs. So if your starting weight was 159 the immediate drop was mostly water weight. Also when you reduce calories and carbs, you also normally drop your sodium intake (assuming you aren't eating salty meats like bacon and sausage and are sticking to the non-preserved/non-packaged means like chicken, steak, etc). This will also lead to additional water weight loss. So yeah most of your weight loss was water weight.

If you have been doing this diet for two months and one cheat weekend put you back at your starting weight, I would say you are not counting your calories very accurately. Especially if you are sticking to a supposed 1200-1400 calories a day. You should have lost probably ~8lbs (very rough estimate) of true body mass, plus your water weight drop. You should have probably seen close to 145 on the scale by now unless you cheat hard every weekend.

But getting into Ketosis can take 2-3 days but I've read as long as 7 if you aren't very active. Your body will preserve its glycogen to some extent as your brain needs glucose to function. It can function partially of ketones, but only at a max of ~70% of ketones and the other 30% must be from glucose. Glucose can be produced by the liver through gluconeogenesis. The liver can use animo acids or glycerol for this, but the body is smart enough to know that in a time of starvation, lets preserve the glycogen if we don't need quick fuel so we don't start burning muscle.
    ---Get those Negs ready---