RingMany is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is a recomp still possible for me? (Lean bulk instead?)

Hi everyone,

I've been training since July 2017, so about a year and a half. Although I've only been taking it seriously, improving my routine and diet for around a year. I've been doing the 'Fierce 5 Dumbell' program for about a year, and I've just swapped over to the Intermediate plan around 2 weeks ago, where I now have access to full gym equipment rather than working out at home.

My current stats are:

Height: 185cm / 6ft
    Weight: 76kg / 168lbs / 12 stone
    Body fat percentage: Scales say 15.9%, fat calipers say 11%

3mm (Chest)
    21mm (Abdoment)
    13mm (Thighs)

Link to my routine and progress here:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Czj2CHHWPlJnNt3fFzK6aQJk0U5fGfmftaKJIY7_i80/edit?usp=sharing

Diet is here:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17E0W10EGcScqJQTfDocI3s4XH1prhrKv-IDRXSDIqj8/edit?usp=sharing

I have been increasing in my weights, but due to my levels of fat, especially around the abdomen, I find it kinda demotivating when I look in the mirror after a workout and I don't feel like I'm making much progress because I can't see any definition on my body.

I was going to simply cut to try to lose all the fat, then do a lean bulk, however, I've been advised that I may still have some newbie gains and because I'm fairly young and new, I may also be able to do a body recomposition. So whilst I have this advantage, I didn't want to spend a few months cutting, when I could utilise that time taking advantage of newbie gains and progress a lot faster than in a year for example.

Photos of me at the moment:

imgur.com/a/E94EcvJ

As you can see, when I do relax my body when turned to the side, my stomach is keeping a lot of fat. At this stage, what do you think would be best for me? To attempt a body recomp, cut, then do a lean bulk, or continue to bulk as normal now and cut later? My long-distance gf is coming to visit in 2 months, so I was hoping to impress her with some nice definition when she arrives lol.

Should I be taking advantage of my current stage of training and try to bulk and gain as much muscle as possible, or has that already passed?

Cheers.

foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250) foresail has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by RingMany View Post
    As you can see, when I do relax my body when turned to the side, my stomach is keeping a lot of fat.
    Looks like poor posture or weak abdominals. When lifting, do you engage your torso muscles? Did your body change much in the past year?

Originally Posted by foresail View Post
    Looks like poor posture or weak abdominals. When lifting, do you engage your torso muscles? Did your body change much in the past year?
    Hi, thanks for the reply,

Yes I do try as much as possible. Although sometimes I do admit I can forget to arch my back and can end up lifting with my arms more than my chest. Yeah, am relaxing in the 2nd position, and flexing in the other one where my stomach is kept more in. I do ab exercises 2-3 times a week. I can feel them underneath the layer of fat and they're pretty solid and feel defined.

It has changed slightly, but due to the fat levels it's hard to see progress. I used to weigh 10 lbs more a year ago, but I was about 6% higher body fat.

imgur.com/a/5tEP9bu

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    IT's always best to either choose muscle gain or fat loss and eat to that particular individual goal goal
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As Tommy said pick one.

My advice would be to lean bulk and build up more muscle this will offer the best long term results.

I would personally forget abs your lean body mass will need to be higher to see them. Based on your lifts I think you need to lean bulk and stick with Fierce 5 for a solid amount of time. See how you go with the intermediate one but it maybe worth also look at the novice full body one. The stages of weightlifting levels (novice, intermediate and advanced) are not different at making more muscle development its more they offer a faster progression therefore better for the user (novice -weight progresses faster then advanced - which is very slow).

I would only leave a novice full body program when I really couldn't progress anymore with the weights and finding recovery too hard.

Cheers for the advice,

Alright then, I'll stick doing my lean bulk. I was doing the dumbell full body for about a year and didn't make any progress for about 2 months, didn't increase any weights, so decided to move to the advance.

Might try adding more calories because even though I work out 4 times a week, I still don't feel I've gotten physically bigger. Although I must be, because I'm getting stronger with my lifts.

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cheers for the advice,

Alright then, I'll stick doing my lean bulk. I was doing the dumbell full body for about a year and didn't make any progress for about 2 months, didn't increase any weights, so decided to move to the advance.

Might try adding more calories because even though I work out 4 times a week, I still don't feel I've gotten physically bigger. Although I must be, because I'm getting stronger with my lifts.
    stronger doesn’t always mean muscle gain

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    stronger doesn’t always mean muscle gain
    What's the alternative approach at this stage? If I've been eating decent food, 300+ above my maintenance for a year, 170g of protein a day, doing the Fierce 5 program for a year, gaining strength but not a significant amount of muscle, what else can I do at this point?

What's the alternative approach at this stage? If I've been eating decent food, 300+ above my maintenance for a year, 170g of protein a day, doing the Fierce 5 program for a year, gaining strength but not a significant amount of muscle, what else can I do at this point?
    add 200 calories a day

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB