jabreedl is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need advice on my workout

So I meet with a Personal Trainer recently as part of my gym's free fitness assessment. He had some great advice and really knew his stuff. His pitch was very enticing until it came down to the price. It is simply to expensive. I really wish I could afford to get professional help but my current situation does not allow it. That may change in the next 8 months but it's not happening now.

I have been working out for a couple of years--lost 30 lbs, track my workouts, track my meals and do not miss workouts. I have used this website as well as other places to find workout routines. I am currently doing full-body workouts 3 times a week plus a conditioning day and mostly do compound movements when I can and round out my workouts with some HIIT. However, after meeting with this trainer, I now feel like much of my efforts have been in vain or will be in vain if I don't change up what I have been doing. He suggested I focus more on bodyweight movements for a few months to work on muscle imbalances before tackling free weights. He did a few mobility tests and showed me where some problem areas are. He was very nice and I do not want to make it sound like he scared me away from what I have been doing. It just really go me thinking about it.

The goal we set was to lower by BF% to 12% and add 10lbs of muscle mass BW 185lbs. My current numbers are 19% BF, 190lbs.

I know that getting to 12% without some help will be a challenge but adding some muscle mass and shaving my BF% to 15 should be something I can do on my own.

So is there any advice on something I should be doing differently? I haven't really had any changes in my physique in a few months. I don't know if my diet is to restrictive or not. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to be a better me and enjoy my time at the gym.

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jabreedl View Post
    So is there any advice on something I should be doing differently?
    You never mentioned what you are doing. But based on the general vibe of the post, the answer is probably yes.
    Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175660541

TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A couple quick things. You don’t NEED a personal trainer. Not saying there aren’t good ones out there, but you can get great results without ever having one. Next, to give you proper advice, you need to pick a goal. Although “gain muscle and lose fat” is great for a beginner, it becomes increasingly difficult / nearly impossible to do both at the same time. Which is more important to you right now? Gain muscle or lose fat?

Thanks for responding. As a quick backdrop, I recently started this routine. I switched to a much better gym- I was at PF but started hitting major limitations a few months ago so I decided to switch to a more functional gym. I am currently doing a 3 day a week routine. Day 1: Bench 5x5, Leg press 4x8 (squats are no go due to some knee issues) Pendlay rows 5x6, a couple of iso movements, and a finisher of dumbbell snatchs and sled push and pull for 5-6 sets. Day 2: Deads 5x5, OHP 5x5, weighted lunges, and a finisher of kettlebell swings and rowing for 5 sets. Day 3 is a repeat of Day 1 and so one. I vary some of the movements but try to hit each group 2-3x a week. I hit the gym ever other day. Overall goals are to be healthy and be consistent. Gains and strength are secondary but keep me motivated.

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jabreedl View Post
    Overall goals are to be healthy and be consistent. Gains and strength are secondary but keep me motivated.
    There really isn't much advice to give if you don't have concrete goals.

Long term goal is to be healthy and maintain a lifestyle that is sustainable. Short term over the next 8-12 months would be to be to increase strength.

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Those are pretty nebulous goals.

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Make sure there is some sort of progression plan so you're not just spinning your wheels. You also don't want to neglect rear delts. So adding something like face pulls would be a good idea. I'm really not a fan of 5x5 dead lifts for a novice but thats just me.

Lactose,

Maybe that’s where I’m struggling. I’ve been working out for 20 months. I’ve dropped 30lbs and gotten in the best shape of my life. I weighed 250 in High School and am at 190 at 32 y/o. I feel great and have def seen changes. But I feel like I’m getting tangled up. I love going to the gym and working out but I don’t know what to focus on next. I haven’t seen much progress in the last few months. I would like to be stronger and have a decent body which are two things I’ve never had.

What are some alternative movements I can incorporate to work up to deadlifts?

Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you're already doing deadlifts, no need to change. Just dial the volume down to 1 to 3 sets of 5. Many novice routines have you only doing one heavy work set of deads, including ice cream fitness which is a 5x5 routine.

Have you had a look at the routines on this forum?
    "We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."

Thanks for the advice! I’ll dial it back some for sure. Honestly I have found tons and tons on routines on the forum-it is picking one that is the tough part.

Get on a good novice program. Aim to lift 10-15 lbs. heavier than you did the previous month. If you are consistent, your longer term goals will come into better focus.

Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rdrummond77 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There's a lot to pick from, and if you're like me, "paralysis by analysis" is a big problem. I'm running Fierce 5 and love it. It's a great novice routine with manageable volume, a good balance of compound lifts and accessory work, and a workable progression scheme. But there are lots of others, including many on this forum. Pick any good one that will keep you excited to go to the gym and you'll be golden.

In terms of your goal of general health, strength is a big part of that. A stronger person is, as they say, "harder to kill."

Good luck m8!

Thanks, Rdrummond! Great to know I’m not the only one feeling overwhelmed. I’ll check out Fierce 5 and a couple others and give one of them a go for a while. Thank you for your time!

No problem! This forum is a great source of support and advice...I know I've learned a ton from the experienced folks here.