MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MalachiB1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

FAILED - 3 times in a row - bench - starting strength - help

been on starting strength 6+ months.

finally hitting the bench wall at almost my body weight 180 (BW = 190)

first fail was on the second set. second fail was on last set 3 rep. third fail was on last set 4th rep. (on the last attempt i even forwent squats and started on the bench to conserve energy)

that was 3 weeks of fails. and now, what do i do. im extremely disappointing to fail at this low of weight.

thanks for the help and input.

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MalachiB1 View Post
    been on starting strength 6+ months.

finally hitting the bench wall at almost my body weight 180 (BW = 190)

first fail was on the second set. second fail was on last set 3 rep. third fail was on last set 4th rep. (on the last attempt i even forwent squats and started on the bench to conserve energy)

that was 3 weeks of fails. and now, what do i do. im extremely disappointing to fail at this low of weight.

thanks for the help and input.
    Been years since I looked at Starting strength, but if I remember correctly, there is a process for reset built into the plan. Re read the directions, it should be there. If it is not there, you can reset to about 60-65% of your last max and start the progression forward again. Or, keep the 180 and work it until you hit all the reps. My point is, don't beat yourself up over it. Everyone stalls at some time. Don't stress it. Take a step back and then start again. You will get it.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    Been years since I looked at Starting strength, but if I remember correctly, there is a process for reset built into the plan. Re read the directions, it should be there. If it is not there, you can reset to about 60-65% of your last max and start the progression forward again. Or, keep the 180 and work it until you hit all the reps. My point is, don't beat yourself up over it. Everyone stalls at some time. Don't stress it. Take a step back and then start again. You will get it.
    Well spoken. 180 isn't that low if you're a beginner, and if you've been doing it 6 months, then you started t a lot less.

In fact 6 months is just about right for a stall on this program if I've read properly. So do what Bamazav suggests, and drop down for a reset, then work your way back up. As long as your other lifts are still increasing, then the program is working.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000) Silentpoet is just really nice. (+1000)
    One analyze where you are failing and from there both work on technique and possible weak areas. If you don't have a coach I would videotape your lifts and see what you can see. Some things aren't readily apparent to you when you are under the bar and pushing hard.

HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HYMENATOR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Time to move to another program, 6 months is enough. SS is designed for 17 year old aspiring football players who drink a Gallon of Milk a day. Their lifts go up not just from strength gains but because they are suppose to be gaining 40lbs+ of bodyweight during the program. The first thing Rip would ask if you said you failed your reps would be 'are you drinking your gallon of milk a day?'.

mebolhi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    up good

Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50) Buickfan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Here’s what I have done for years, when I plateau. I hit the 15 sets of 10 on the bench. Rest and resume, eat lots of protein. Works for me.

Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bando has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Silentpoet View Post
    One analyze where you are failing and from there both work on technique and possible weak areas. If you don't have a coach I would videotape your lifts and see what you can see. Some things aren't readily apparent to you when you are under the bar and pushing hard.
    This is a good start.

Rip doesn't believe in a lot of accessory work but I'm a fan of working forearms, CGBP, triceps, dumbell presses etc. I have a competition 335 bench @ 176 lbs, only got that when I realized bench is a complete body lift and there can't be any weak links in the chain.
    Don't put that on me Ricky Bobby, don't you ever put that on me.

Former Bench Jockey FastCatChamp's Avatar
    FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Monday - BP 3x5
    Wednesday - OHP 10x3
    Friday - BP 5-3-2

Monday - OHP 3x5
    Wednesday - BP 10x3
    Friday - OHP 5-3-2

Progression - first two weeks, start with weights that you handle easily (maybe leaving 2-3 reps in the tank) and then just creep from there

Eventually on the Fridays, I would often hit multiple doubles and even bigger singles just depending on how I felt.

I believe that this approach began with me doing Rippetoe's Practical Programming and then morphed a bit from there. The Wednesday's are awesome!
    Home Journal: Me vs. Myself @.....http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125942203

Levels and goals...........
    Kitten[CURRENT]...Cat[Application Submitted]..Alleycat..Bobcat...Puma...Lion....Tiger.

Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000) Murser is just really nice. (+1000)
    Six months of SS is long and boring enough. If you want to stick with Rip, it is time for Practical Programming. I like Andy Baker’s programs.