ALFIERAFC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Struggling to get up and get ahead of the day. Need help

Hi,

I feel a bit embarrassed to be writing this to be honest as I already know the answer and the solution is in my control only. That being said, I would like to share my problem to see if anyone has had this issue in past and beaten it. My main issue is that I cannot manage to get myself up at my desired time in the AM. I have been really struggling with this for the best part of two years I am sad to say.

My ideal scenario is me getting up each morning at 6.00am. I do not need to be in my office till 10am. So my plan would be to get a bit of cardio done, bit of stretching and work on my side business. I sit and think about this every night and think about how good it will make me feel getting up and getting this done in the AM. I set my alarm, which I keep in my living room, every night for 6.00am. In the AM when the alarm goes off I get up, stumble into my living room and set it for an hour later and then I repeat this process until I have to get up for work.

I spend most of the day lamenting myself for again not being able to get up and do the things which is going to make me feel good and move me forward. When my alarm goes off it feels like I am a different person. Right now the thought of getting up at 6 and exercising and getting myself organised makes me feel great and I know it will move me forward but when I am walking into my living room to turn the alarm off I can convince myself very easily that I do not need to do any of the things which I had planned out the night before and I go back to bed.

As I touched upon earlier, I am embarrassed to be writing this because everything I need to do is within my control. It is a lack of self discipline which is making me unable to stay up and get stuff done. It is if I can't think straight in the AM. I have tried leaving notes next to my alarm clock saying "don't go back to bed you pussy" etc but nothing seems to work.

Part of the reason I am writing this post is to make me accountable. From tomorrow I am going to start taking a note of what I done and how I felt and keep a log to see if that can help me.

amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10) amojam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Try taking cold showers in the morning. I recently incorporated it into my morning routine and it has worked like a charm to help me with my procrastination and depression. I couldn’t recommend this enough, even if your cold shower is 3-5 minutes to rinse up.

RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) RBxxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Can you have lie ins in the morning and do the stretching/cardio/side business in the evening instead? I find it so hard getting out of bed in the morning and I felt loads better when I stopped fighting it, let myself feel well rested by setting my alarm as late as I could and just did everything I wanted to do after work instead of beforehand. I normally go to the gym about 7 or 8pm. Although you won't get the benefit of stretching etc. giving you a boost at the start of the day, you also won't end up feeling constantly tired from forcing yourself to get up too early.

robryder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I struggle, too. I have the best intentions the night before, I lay out my gym bag and prep my food. I learned to set 2 alarms - 1st 5 minutes before the main alarm to play some sort of light music - I use Pandora ($0) and alternate between various light rock stations. The 2nd alarm I use is on my alarm app - sounds dumb but I found a great motivational YouTube video (search 4am morning motivational) ($0) and I converted this to Mp4 (use a generic app). I also set a Bluetooth light bulb ($12) to gradually increase in brightness up until my 2nd alarm goes off. But it all comes down to your self discipline when these go off. And I still struggle. My best advice is to find a gym partner with the same mindset and goals as you, to bust your balls if you're late.

dev10251 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ALFIERAFC View Post
    Hi,

I feel a bit embarrassed to be writing this to be honest as I already know the answer and the solution is in my control only. That being said, I would like to share my problem to see if anyone has had this issue in past and beaten it. My main issue is that I cannot manage to get myself up at my desired time in the AM. I have been really struggling with this for the best part of two years I am sad to say.

My ideal scenario is me getting up each morning at 6.00am. I do not need to be in my office till 10am. So my plan would be to get a bit of cardio done, bit of stretching and work on my side business. I sit and think about this every night and think about how good it will make me feel getting up and getting this done in the AM. I set my alarm, which I keep in my living room, every night for 6.00am. In the AM when the alarm goes off I get up, stumble into my living room and set it for an hour later and then I repeat this process until I have to get up for work.

I spend most of the day lamenting myself for again not being able to get up and do the things which is going to make me feel good and move me forward. When my alarm goes off it feels like I am a different person. Right now the thought of getting up at 6 and exercising and getting myself organised makes me feel great and I know it will move me forward but when I am walking into my living room to turn the alarm off I can convince myself very easily that I do not need to do any of the things which I had planned out the night before and I go back to bed.

As I touched upon earlier, I am embarrassed to be writing this because everything I need to do is within my control. It is a lack of self discipline which is making me unable to stay up and get stuff done. It is if I can't think straight in the AM. I have tried leaving notes next to my alarm clock saying "don't go back to bed you pussy" etc but nothing seems to work.

Part of the reason I am writing this post is to make me accountable. From tomorrow I am going to start taking a note of what I done and how I felt and keep a log to see if that can help me.
    It all comes down to self-discipline. I set an alarm for 4:30AM every morning, some days are tougher than others. But it all boils down to mentality. You'll find a lot of people will commit to getting up even earlier, near 3 in the morning just to start their day with a workout. Leaving small notes are not gonna help you, it literally just takes willpower and determination. Practice makes habits, habits turn to lifestyles. And lifestyles are hard to deviate from.