coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Front squats, hex bar deadlifts, and seal rows

Due to a recent low back injury I’ve swapped low bar squats for front squats, conventional DLs for hex bar DLs and barbell BORs for incline chest supported rows with dumbbells. Due to the nature of the lift and the injury itself I can’t front squat much weight, and I can only hex bar DL 80-90% of my conventional due to the injury as well (and that’s with a little pain even, so maybe I should ditch them altogether until I heal), and I can only seal row 70% of what I can row with a barbell. Obviously this is proving to be a ****ty setback, but exactly how much should I expect to be set back as far as hypertrophy is concerned (I anticipate a loss of strength for the time being). I’m still able to fulfill the rest of my program, so I figure I should still eat in a surplus, but given how signifant all of these lifts are to any program will I lose any muscle or will I stop gaining with the less intense modifications? Should I reduce my surplus, etc.? These are all new lifts that I’ve never messed with so I wonder too if the new movements can benefit me somehow.

TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A lot of variables. First, and foremost, it depends on how serious and how long the injury is going to hamper you. 1 month, 1 year?

coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50) coeur will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It’s been about a week and a half so far, and it’s improving but I still can’t do the normally prescribed versions of the lifts I listed without pain. My PT assured me that I’ll be back at it but I haven’t gotten a timeline, obviously, because every body is different. Hopefully no more than a month. It’s not a disc issue which is nice to hear, but it is kinda a chronic issue as I’ve been dealing with low back pain and fatigue ever since I threw it out via DLs over a year ago. I don’t know why it decided to give out on me like it did last week, but ~it just be like that sometimes~.

I also replaced leg press with barbell lunges, but I’m not sure about the effectiveness of that switch since I’m going from a very heavy bilateral movement (albeit supported) to a lighter unilateral one. Functionally it might be better but that’s also over a 250 lb drop in weight. Is there any other low back friendly lift that might replace leg presses? Not sure how the hack squat machine would fare but I’m too short for it anyway. I can’t barbell hack as much as I can barbell lunge either.

TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You will likely not lose too much strength in only a month if you heal back to 100%. You will lose some strength, but it should come back fairly quickly.

I’m less concerned about strength loss, more concerned about excess fat gain/overall negative impact on body composition due to lifting less weight while eating in a surplus. I’m on a lean bulk.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by coeur View Post
    I’m less concerned about strength loss, more concerned about excess fat gain/overall negative impact on body composition due to lifting less weight while eating in a surplus. I’m on a lean bulk.
    If you're not lifting as intensely, you won't be burning as many calories. This means your surplus doesn't need to be as great. Say you're 750 calories above maintenance and lifting heavy--now, you suddenly aren't really training. So you should adjust your surplus accordingly so that you don't suddenly just have those extra calories sitting there for no reason.
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

Well, I’m eating about 200-309 above maintenance, and I’m plenty active outside of the gym. Maybe I should reduce the surplus by about 100? I’m still making upper body gains, so I do need a little bit of extra. I’m also worried about developing imbalances leading to additional injury, so I’m trying to substitute each lift with something as comparable as possible.

bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bLinkMoore is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Honestly, a 2-300 calorie surplus just isn't that much--I wouldn't sweat it. If you're really concerned about it, then dropping the calories a little bit would slow fat gain without really affecting muscle gain, assuming that you aren't altering anything drastically. Like, I've put on ~25 pounds of muscle in the last two and a half years or so--solid progress--without ever losing my 6-pack. A "bulk" doesn't have to mean you getting a power belly and love handles. Check out the nutrition forum, it sounds like that might be more helpful for you right now
    BP: 280
    SQ: 455
    DL: 585
    Bodyweight 185

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    you're overthinking this too much.

If a lift is causing you actual pain in your lower back then don't do it. Lunges are a great exercise for the quads. Better than nothing. Continue to eat for your goals and do the lifts that you are able to do relatively pain-free.

You aren't going to develop an imbalance based off a month or even 2 months off lifting.