nicostar26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Coming Back To Fitness

Hey all!

So I'm struggling over here and have lots of questions. But here's a few if you can help.

I'm not new to working out. I've yo-yoed a lot. Last yr I was 162lb and weight training 3 days per week with some cardio thrown in there too. I was losing weight on 1600cals but it was really restrictive. Life happened and finances got in the way. I ended up being stuck at home (for the most part) for a while and gained 40lb.

Needless to say now I'm back on the horse. I want to do thins right this time. I go to the gym every morning (5 really good workouts and 2 active rest days). I've figured out that my maintenance calories are right at 2000. So I eat between 1600-2000 cals daily depending on anticipated activity level. I'm burning between 300-500cals in the gym. I've been doing this since January so a little over a month and haven't seen much progress at all. I'm getting strength back and my cardio is getting back to the level of where it was so I'm definitely seeing progress there but I'm not losing weight.

That said, if I took a year "off" basically, would the muscle I'm gaining back now be just about the same as a newbie? I know I'm in a deficit daily... I've worked the numbers until I couldn't work them anymore and my food intake is pretty accurate. Is this lack of patience or do I need to look a little deeper and change something?

jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Why take a year off? If you're seeing results just keep on at it.
    “With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world."

nicostar26 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jay283 View Post
    Why take a year off? If you're seeing results just keep on at it.
    Hey. Sorry, I was referring to the year I already was off and gained 40lb. Definitely planning to stick to it this time now that I’ve found something I can stick to. I guess I should revise my question huh? Lol. I meant now that I’m back into it (after a yr) would I see muscle gain to the point where I’m not seeing the scale go down even though I’m making progress?

jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10) jay283 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nicostar26 View Post
    Hey. Sorry, I was referring to the year I already was off and gained 40lb. Definitely planning to stick to it this time now that I’ve found something I can stick to. I guess I should revise my question huh? Lol. I meant now that I’m back into it (after a yr) would I see muscle gain to the point where I’m not seeing the scale go down even though I’m making progress?
    I'm not too experienced in that stuff but I think you're referring to a plateau period. It happens when your body either gets too accustomed to the weights you're using to exercise or the exercise routine; or it happens when your body doesn't lose as many pounds as before due to the amount of calories you're consuming (ie your calorie intake stabilised your weight). In such a case reducing the number of calories consumed helps and or changing up your exercise routine to make it tougher.

Hopefully others can shed more light on your question.
    “With realization of one's own potential and self-confidence in one's ability, one can build a better world."

gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10) gcarey3678 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you are not losing weight you are not in a caloric deficit. Make sure you are measuring/weighing out everything you eat. Be sure to consider liquid calories as well. Lots of sauces, condiments, cooking oils ect also need to be tracked and accounted for. It's easy to get in an extra few hundred calories with those items alone if you are not tracking properly.