realdeal2019 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Time to Stop Playing Around

Hey Guys,

This is my first post on the BB forum. I'm a 26 year old male that's been going through some chit for a few years now (mild depression). Anyways, I'm trying to get back on track, and getting fit is most in my control. For starters my goal is to get a six pack, as soon as possible, but I realize it will likely take a few months. I've done a lot of research, but it all seems kind of inconsistent among sources. Currently, I weigh 186 lbs, have BMI of 27.5 and have a body fat percentage of ~27%. My height is 5'9. My understanding is that diet is 70% of the challenge.

This may be like ABCs for experienced folks, but can someone help me come up with a simple routine? Is it possible to get a six pack by running/cycling? Where can I find meal plan ideas and portions? How important is it to establish an eating pattern? Do I need reduce my stress levels first or will getting active take care of that?

Any insights/experiences you guys can share I really appreciate. Thanks in advance.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Read the stickies. If you wont even put in 5 minutes to read about basic beginners tips and programs all that other bravado is just white noise.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by realdeal2019 View Post
    Hey Guys,

This is my first post on the BB forum. I'm a 26 year old male that's been going through some chit for a few years now (mild depression). Anyways, I'm trying to get back on track, and getting fit is most in my control. For starters my goal is to get a six pack, as soon as possible, but I realize it will likely take a few months. I've done a lot of research, but it all seems kind of inconsistent among sources. Currently, I weigh 186 lbs, have BMI of 27.5 and have a body fat percentage of ~27%. My height is 5'9. My understanding is that diet is 70% of the challenge.

This may be like ABCs for experienced folks, but can someone help me come up with a simple routine? Is it possible to get a six pack by running/cycling? Where can I find meal plan ideas and portions? How important is it to establish an eating pattern? Do I need reduce my stress levels first or will getting active take care of that?

Any insights/experiences you guys can share I really appreciate. Thanks in advance.
    Visible abs are more than 70% diet

Here is a list of proven novice routines (the names are links) plus a brief note. However, before you read through this, know that any of these programs would be an excellent start for any novice trainee.

Novice does not mean newb/noob, novice simply refers to the rate at which you are able to progress. You want to follow novice programming as long as possible, because it has the fastest rate of progress with the least training complexity. Novice applies to those coming back after a layoff just as much as it does to first time lifters. Don’t let the simplicity and relatively low volume fool you, linear progression full body three times per week routines can be grueling when the weight gets heavy. Following any of these as written with proper nutrition will get you places as quickly as any program can.

Fierce 5
    Well rounded routine for novices seeking strength or muscular size written by one of our resident posters/mods. Lots of knowledge about the program within this forum.
    See also https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=162916931

5/3/1 For Beginners
    Well rounded program with a lot of options once you have experience under the bar and learn a thing or two.
    Jim Wendler is a very smart guy with lots of experience as an elite lifter and a coach. Don’t let his hardcore four-letter-word persona fool you, he knows things. 5/3/1 has many templates and many variations to suit virtually any trainee at any stage and with any goal, and is currently one of the most popular and common programs, no matter what forum or federation or group you check with. If you are up for learning more and think you might be in this game for the long haul, I strongly suggest picking up a copy of 5/3/1 Forever https://jimwendler.com/products/5-3-1-forever-book . If you search for info on 5/3/1 you will find it everywhere...but there’s no better source than the book (Wendler’s own forum might come close)

Starting Strength
    Starting Strength

As the name implies, if you are after strength, this might be the best place to start. Author Mark Rippetoe has decades of coaching experience (and was strong himself with competition bench of 396 lbs and squats and deadlfits exceeding 600 lbs). I wrote the FAQ linked above, and answer questions as they arise. There are a couple variations included in that FAQ, including the Advance Novice routine, which saves you from having to do power cleans while still following the program to a T

All Pros
    If you are an aspiring bodybuilder after looks much more than after strength, you may want to start here. all pro is (or was) a forum regular, and he left us this simple routine to help guide novices. There is a lot of knowledge about this routine in this forum as well.

Greyskulls LP
    If you are after strength or are an aspiring powerlifter, this might be the program to start with. More explanation at the provided link.

Training for Strength vs Training for Size
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=175493881

Nutrition is at least as important as your routine. Check Nutrition Forum stickies. Track calories and carbs/fat/protein daily, as well as bodyweight. (www.myfitnesspal.com or www.fitday.com is popular for this) Eat in a daily calorie surplus to build muscle, eat in a daily calorie deficit to lose fat.

Form is critical. The lifts must be performed correctly. The reference book for this is Starting Strength

The best starting point (IMO) to learn about the nuts and bolts of programming…the why…is Practical Programming for Strength Training

Free videos that are excellent can be seen here, use the suggested and related videos suggestion to find more

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I’m going to be honest with you OP, having a goal of “a 6-pack as soon as possible” with a starting bodyfat of 27% is setting yourself up for disapointment (not to discourage...it just takes time). Better to focus on just losing fat weight and adding quality muscle. The 6 pack is further down the road...but that doesn’t mean you won’t start looking and feeling better a lot sooner than that...and the 6 pack is overrated.

So read the post by Farley and get started!
    Last edited by grubman; 02-16-2019 at 03:38 AM.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you wanna lose weight and get abs this is the exercise plan I believe would be best, you figure out the diet end.

1) Cardio every second day, aim for an hour but when beginning as little as 20min is OK, don't go too hard at the start while you adapt.

2) Abs every fourth day (and not on a cardio day)

Do abs with both high reps and low reps to really hit all the muscle fibers. You should be very tired during and after, but not have a sore back.

Something like:
    -Crunches x30
    -Lying Leg Raises x30
    -Weighted Sit-Up (10lb) x 15
    -Weighted Sit-Up (20lb) x 8

This should take 15-20 min.
    But it depends on your fitness level, I had a guess where you may be. Each set should be quite difficult and you should strive to do more each time.

Go hard man, and think of your goal when you are struggling.

gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Get nutrition in check and follow the above advice about beginning a lifting program.