zerodegreek has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cybex Bravo or FreeMotion Cable Cross

Yes, another functional trainer question.

I narrowed it down to these two (actually still considering the Prime FT so 3). Space isn't a huge issue but, in a home gym, it is always somewhat limited.

I'm considering the Bravo because of the additional flexibility of the pulley flappers, I like the 2:1 ratio and the stability pad. The negatives would be the cable's maximum width is 58" so it limits a few exercises. I like the FreeMotion because the extreme flexibility of the arms and the fact they can go over 120" wide. Not a huge fan of the 3:1 ratio but the effective resistance on both units is the same. The prime unit solves 2 of these problems with a heavier weight stack and a 2:1 ratio; maximum width is around 96". Neither have the stability pad. Not that it matters, but I like the look of the FreeMotion over the Prime. Also, the Bravo has a much smaller effective footprint.

Is the stability pad on the Bravo enough of a benefit to offset the reduced flexibility and is that flexibility actually useful?

Anyway, I'm looking to pull the trigger on one of these units soon. Any help would be appreciated. Yes I have a power rack but no pulleys.

Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000) Buccaneer82 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Can the limited exercises due to bravo width he overcome by doing one hand at a time? Doesn’t the prime also offer a locking bench?
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #27 []---[]
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #27 ▪[M]====[6]▪
    600lbs Ivanko Revolvers
    Texas Power Bar

Originally Posted by Buccaneer82 View Post
    Can the limited exercises due to bravo width he overcome by doing one hand at a time? Doesn’t the prime also offer a locking bench?
    I think some could be overcome by doing one hand at a time but it is nice to use both at once. I wouldn't get the locking bench. I already have a heavy adjustable bench that I can use; not too sure the locking in feature is necessary.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have the Bravo, 2.1 pulley ratio, tall version, having previously owned a cable crossover and a more conventional style functional trainer, I think the Bravo offers the perfect balance, there is sufficient room between the pulleys to perform fly type movements, particularly if you adjust the support pad away from the weight stacks.

It's never going to totally mimic a true cable crossover, but to be honest this is about the only movement I can think of, where setting the pulleys to a wider position would be an advantage.

If I were to analyse things, I probably have the pulley arms set in the narrow positions for the majority of my workouts.

The support pad is the game changer, in my view this sets it apart from the competition.

To be honest you couldn't go wrong with any of the units already mentioned, but I wouldn't trade the Bravo for any other dual adjustable pulley.

A pic of my Bravo.

1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000) 1651Naismith is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have a Freemotion dual stack. Purchased it used and couldn’t be happier. Gives you a lot of options on exercises due to the number of positions you can put the arms in. Quality is commercial grade. The 3:1 ratio isn’t a problem for me as the effective weight is 80# per arm and plenty for accessory work. I use the rack or dumbbells for heavy work.

That said, make sure you have the space for it and the room can handle the weight of the unit.
    []---[] Equipment Crew #73 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #78 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #20 ||---||

ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    I have the Bravo, 2.1 pulley ratio, tall version, having previously owned a cable crossover and a more conventional style functional trainer, I think the Bravo offers the perfect balance, there is sufficient room between the pulleys to perform fly type movements, particularly if you adjust the support pad away from the weight stacks.

It's never going to totally mimic a true cable crossover, but to be honest this is about the only movement I can think of, where setting the pulleys to a wider position would be an advantage.

If I were to analyse things, I probably have the pulley arms set in the narrow positions for the majority of my workouts.

The support pad is the game changer, in my view this sets it apart from the competition.

To be honest you couldn't go wrong with any of the units already mentioned, but I wouldn't trade the Bravo for any other dual adjustable pulley.
    100% gym62richard

I am 5'11" and find the cables to be more than wide enough on the Bravo and the core pad is a game changer (though simple) it really allows for more effective core training. Love the size too, fits into a corner perfect and if i ever move i know it will fit.

I used to love the long arms of the Free Motion but found it clumsy, bulky and not as quick to move from one exercise to another.

IMO if price is no object the Bravo hands down is the better option. Its a true full commercial product that is very well thought out.

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    With Prime and Freemotion you have a bench so no need to worry about the pad. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these but two points:

1) Bravo is universally loved in this forum and given an adequate budget is what most people end up with.

2) Not many people have the Prime. I've priced it for delivery and you may find it's substantially more than a Bravo. That said, when Mech6 build his and Alex's FTs he based it off the Prime design. I think that says a lot.

I don't think you can go wrong and honestly, lots of people like the Freemotion too. If I ever add an FT it will probably be the cheapest one of the 3 I can find (almost certainly not the Prime). For me this is a really cool but VERY expensive 3rd tier option. It only makes the cut as it is so damn versatile, but barbells and dumbbells are my #1 and #2. I already own a Legend high/low pulley so no synergy there.

For what it's worth I've also used an Inspire unit. I liked it and I'd be fine owning one of those too especially given how much less they are.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    With Prime and Freemotion you have a bench so no need to worry about the pad. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these but two points:

1) Bravo is universally loved in this forum and given an adequate budget is what most people end up with.

2) Not many people have the Prime. I've priced it for delivery and you may find it's substantially more than a Bravo. That said, when Mech6 build his and Alex's FTs he based it off the Prime design. I think that says a lot.

I don't think you can go wrong and honestly, lots of people like the Freemotion too. If I ever add an FT it will probably be the cheapest one of the 3 I can find (almost certainly not the Prime). For me this is a really cool but VERY expensive 3rd tier option. It only makes the cut as it is so damn versatile, but barbells and dumbbells are my #1 and #2. I already own a Legend high/low pulley so no synergy there.

For what it's worth I've also used an Inspire unit. I liked it and I'd be fine owning one of those too especially given how much less they are.
    I appreciate everybody's input; but I would like to quickly respond to C123C's post concerning the Prime FT's price. This might sway him towards the Prime unit. The guys at Prime are running a special now on the price of the FT with the purchase of a RO-T8 accessory. All in, the Prime is by far the cheapest option. Looking at new units (shipped with liftgate) the Prime FT is over $1500 less than the best price I can find on a Bravo and $500 less than the FreeMotion Genesis (although the Genesis comes with free white glove delivery so I guess that makes it a wash).

For me, I took price out of the equation. Sure, I would like to spend as little as possible; but the way I figure, if I'm able to use the machine every day for the next decade then the price per use drops the differential to insignificance. Well, at least that is how I justify major purchases to the boss and so far she has fallen for it every time.

ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ripper238 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't think many understand what the pad is for, I love how it provides isolation for more effective core training. A bench cant replace the core pad, the core pad allows for progressive stabilization while standing. Which i would say is very important because with real world movements we are standing when pressing and not laying down on a bench.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ripper238 View Post
    Don't think many understand what the pad is for, I love how it provides isolation for more effective core training. A bench cant replace the core pad, the core pad allows for progressive stabilization while standing. Which i would say is very important because with real world movements we are standing when pressing and not laying down on a bench.
    From a functional point of view I totally agree, when compared to a generic functional trainer, even when used in conjunction with an adjustable bench,I was never able to achieve the same level. of versatility provided by the Bravo..

As far as I'm concerned core stabilisation is merely a secondary benefit, it's the additional support provided by the pad that enables me to hit muscles from some really unique angles.

swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have an Insptire FT1 which I really like, but the support pad for the Cybex would be a game changer. If I ever see a used one at a decent price then I will jump on it.
    STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS!!

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

▪█─-─█▪ Equipment Crew #71 ▪█─-─█▪
    []---[] York Barbell Club #32 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #66 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #6 ||---||

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by zerodegreek View Post
    I appreciate everybody's input; but I would like to quickly respond to C123C's post concerning the Prime FT's price. This might sway him towards the Prime unit. The guys at Prime are running a special now on the price of the FT with the purchase of a RO-T8 accessory. All in, the Prime is by far the cheapest option. Looking at new units (shipped with liftgate) the Prime FT is over $1500 less than the best price I can find on a Bravo and $500 less than the FreeMotion Genesis (although the Genesis comes with free white glove delivery so I guess that makes it a wash).

For me, I took price out of the equation. Sure, I would like to spend as little as possible; but the way I figure, if I'm able to use the machine every day for the next decade then the price per use drops the differential to insignificance. Well, at least that is how I justify major purchases to the boss and so far she has fallen for it every time.
    Damn. I have so much money going out right now on so many projects. I'm not even going to check prices. So sad.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991