sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sen2two has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deadlift Grip Strength

I thought I had decent grip strength before I started to do deadlifts. Turns out, not so great. I regularly use hand grippers/crushers and twist roller for grip strength. I spend a lot of time on pull ups and can hang from a bar for around 2 minutes max. I also hang from the bar for 3 sets of 1 minute every day.
    I have NEVER done deadlifts prior to this. I started with them about 2 months ago. I have been doing 1 warm up with 135 for 10 reps. Then 5x5 with 275lbs. I do NOT let the weight rest on the floor each rep. I try to tap the ground before continuing the next rep.
    Ok so… enough background.
    My fourth and fifth set is where the bar is slipping out of my hands and I can barely complete the lift without dropping the bar. I feel I can definitely add weight, except for the grip problem. I do not want to use straps. I prefer the normal grip vs. the mixed grip. And I can’t get my thumb around the bar enough for the hook grip…so.

What have you done to increase grip strength for deadlifts?
    Is it normal to let the bar rest on the ground before each lift?

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sen2two View Post
    Heavy rack pulls
    Heavy static holds

Yes. It's called a "dead"lift b/c you are supposed to lift it from a dead stop.
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Fat Grip Zottman Curls are cool.

Crawling back under rock OldFartTom's Avatar
    OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    Fat Grip Zottman Curls are cool.
    One of these days, I'm actually going to get my FatGripz down from on top of a cupboard in the kitchen and put them back in my gym bag. They're great but I just hate extras in my bag (Fatgripz, squeezy tube of chalk paste, fractional plates, etc, etc).

I'm slowly increasing DL again (at snail pace) and I've never liked the feel of hook or mixed (and too scared of dropping a bar on a kneecap to monkey grip) so I always double overhand, normally chalk free.

Maybe your post is the kick in the azz I need to get the Fatgripz back into my bag again well before I get near weights that struggle with grip - prevention is better than cure

... ...Is it normal to let the bar rest on the ground before each lift?
    Yes, people often gently touch the ground, sometimes people fully unload all tension and immediately set-up and lift again (as BG5150 says), but smashing into the ground each rep to get bounce is considered "cheating" and noisy (some gyms you might be spoken to with some strong words for doing that).

There are variations of course (RDL, SLDL, depending on knee bend etc) but no matter what you call a standard DL and stopping each rep 1 inch above the ground - that makes it harder. Personally I avoid touching the ground on all sets except my top set.

As long as you are happy, not being antisocial and making progress... that's what matters, not arguing on the minor details.

If you can hang for 2 minutes then you've got grip strength! I'm sure your body will just adapt very quickly through practice and convert it to holding a deadlift as it's similar kind of thing although more strength less endurance. A higher proportion of max grip strength is neuromuscular "skill" (than the other components of deadlifting), so grip should train up relatively quickly
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 02-22-2019 at 04:22 AM.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    [QUOTE=OldFartTom;1574243651]One of these days, I'm actually going to get my FatGripz down from on top of a cupboard in the kitchen and put them back in my gym bag. They're great but I just hate extras in my bag (Fatgripz, squeezy tube of chalk paste, fractional plates, etc, etc).

I'm slowly increasing DL again (at snail pace) and I've never liked the feel of hook or mixed (and too scared of dropping a bar on a kneecap to monkey grip) so I always double overhand, normally chalk free.

Maybe your post is the kick in the azz I need to get the Fatgripz back into my bag again well before I get near weights that struggle with grip - prevention is better than cure]

The Zottman Fat Curls are the number one thing I found for forearms after trying everything I could think of with little success, I also do them on a preacher bench because otherwise they are too easy to cheat on. 3 sets of 8 with 30 seconds rest, doesn't take long to do, I do it halfway in my chest routine where I normally take 10 min to recharge anyway and the tired forearms don't weaken the later chest moves I do.

OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) OldFartTom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    FatGripz (cheaper ripoff version) back in the gym bag

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I keep forgetting to look into getting fatgripz
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=50

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fierce 5 Programs ->https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1266579671#post1266579671

jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jademonkey is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I just started a block of training, and doing touch and go defecits for a bit. My grip fails at 245x8. Not too concerned. Just a few months ago when I started I switched to mixed for anything over 225 resetting between reps. I do overhand for rdl, warm ups, speed pulls, basically everything but heavy DEADlifts. I also try and carry the 4" wide plates by gripping the top. Seems to be getting easier.

sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sqal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I feel like I may have screwed myself for grip strength. I've used hook grip since I started lifting and now double overhand grip hurts my fingers.

MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50) MikeWrightMPS will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Heavy rack pulls
    Heavy static holds

Yes. It's called a "dead"lift b/c you are supposed to lift it from a dead stop.
    do you think, for quickness ones should try weight lifting, how it would help?

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MikeWrightMPS View Post
    do you think, for quickness ones should try weight lifting, how it would help?
    wat?
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

Originally Posted by OldFartTom View Post
    FatGripz (cheaper ripoff version) back in the gym bag
    Not really been liking fat gripz. Back on top of the kitchen cupboard. Sorry to say it didn't last more than a couple of attempts
    Part of the problem is I don't use dumbbells that much so I have to add an exercise that uses them like a biceps curl or something, but when pushed for time I drop those extras and don't use them, then resent having carried the fatgripz about for a couple of hours in my bag (they take too much space)

Moving to plan "B"
    Just unwrapped a Captains of Crush "Sport" (normally people say "CoC" but that's going to attract trolls like strawberry jam does for wasps). Had no idea at all what strength I needed so went for sport. I think this is going to be a warmup gripper and I need to order a working gripper that's firmer.

Also really weird... on deadlift I always find my right hand is the one that gets tired first (or feels like it's coming open when I fail to lift double overhand), but the right hand is actually a lot stronger on the gripper than left.

Ordering "Trainer" and "1" grippers on Amazon as the Sport just isn't going to do more than warm up

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captai...Crush_Grippers just in case anyone is unaware of them
    Last edited by OldFartTom; 05-02-2019 at 06:38 AM.

abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) abond008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I thought I had decent grip strength before I started to do deadlifts. Turns out, not so great. I regularly use hand grippers/crushers and twist roller for grip strength. I spend a lot of time on pull ups and can hang from a bar for around 2 minutes max. I also hang from the bar for 3 sets of 1 minute every day.
    I have NEVER done deadlifts prior to this. I started with them about 2 months ago. I have been doing 1 warm up with 135 for 10 reps. Then 5x5 with 275lbs. I do NOT let the weight rest on the floor each rep. I try to tap the ground before continuing the next rep.
    Ok so… enough background.
    My fourth and fifth set is where the bar is slipping out of my hands and I can barely complete the lift without dropping the bar. I feel I can definitely add weight, except for the grip problem. I do not want to use straps. I prefer the normal grip vs. the mixed grip. And I can’t get my thumb around the bar enough for the hook grip…so.

One way to improve your grip on the deadlift is not to use mixed grip. Your grip will improve the more you do it so don't rush.