mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mikeasu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Looking for a little something for the wife...(weight workout ideas for a novice?)

Hello all,

So my wife and I joined a local gym a couple months ago - she's been going mostly for a yoga class and exercise bike. Think I've convinced her to start trying weights for the first time. She's in good overall shape (at almost 40) - enjoyed ballet, even took classes as an adult, and depending on the season, bike work. I've had good luck with weights, so she's willing to give it a shot. I'm looking for a good routine for her just to get started - say, 2x a week, probably starting with dumbells/kettleballs. She's a little intimidated with the barbell compound exercises, never having done this before, and I'm hardly an expert. The intent would be for her to get a little taste now, then probably some trainer sessions to learn the compound lifts. Any suggestions for a VERY intro, 2x a week program?

Thanks,

Mike

PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PattyU is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by mikeasu View Post
    Hello all,

So my wife and I joined a local gym a couple months ago - she's been going mostly for a yoga class and exercise bike. Think I've convinced her to start trying weights for the first time. She's in good overall shape (at almost 40) - enjoyed ballet, even took classes as an adult, and depending on the season, bike work. I've had good luck with weights, so she's willing to give it a shot. I'm looking for a good routine for her just to get started - say, 2x a week, probably starting with dumbells/kettleballs. She's a little intimidated with the barbell compound exercises, never having done this before, and I'm hardly an expert. The intent would be for her to get a little taste now, then probably some trainer sessions to learn the compound lifts. Any suggestions for a VERY intro, 2x a week program?

Thanks,

Mike
    You should look through the stickies. There is a lot of great information there. You can do most compound lifts with dumbells instead of a barbell. So she could pick a beginner program such as Fierce Five and sub dumbells. The book Strong Curves is good, but may be more complicated than your wife wants right now. I think she should start with a full body workout. this beginners plan that says it can be effective with just two days a week.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content...for-women.html