Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    drkstar00 drkstar00 drkstar00 drkstar00 drkstar00 drkstar00 drkstar00 drkstar00 drkstar00 drkstar00 drkstar00
    I had an accident and some medical issues and I did lose everything. I was an okay bench presser, but afterwards, I lost all my chest muscle and couldn't even do one push up.

But, there is muscle memory, and you can bounce back quickly I think.

GenCyc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GenCyc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Cass40 View Post
    Muscle memory. If you start again, it takes shorter time to get where you were before.
    Agree

ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ezra76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've taken 8yrs. off pretty much. Marriage, house, kids, started a business. Got very unhealthy last year or so though. Beer and fast food.

Starting back with a complete diet overhaul and compound based routine. I'm making progress quickly, staying at same bodyweight despite being just under maint. calories (adding muscle I assume). Although I'm obviously much weaker than where I was when I stopped, I'm much stronger than where I started from back then. For example the 1st deadlift workout I did I got 325 fairly easy. That's 100lbs. from where I left off but 100lbs. more than what I could do starting out way back then.

Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000) Rattelsnake is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you have fine lines definition, cuts will dissappear by far the quickest.
    Strength will dissappear second.
    Bulk won't dissappear, but instead turns into mush.

After you start up again, strength will bounce back first.
    Bulk will harden back up second.
    Fine line cuts will bounce back way last.

Definition is the quickest to lose, hardest to maintain and the longest to get back.

Bulk on the other hand longer doesn't really go away, but just turns into mush. But hardens again as strength returns.

VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) VicDumbbells is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by drkstar00 View Post
    I had an accident and some medical issues and I did lose everything.

I'm sorry to hear that my friend. But you did not lose everything. The other part about bouncing back beyond muscle memory is just memory. Once someone spends 1000/2000+ hours in the gym they have the knowledge and the mental toughness advantage in regaining everything they lost.

I look at what I know now vs the 15 year old in the high school gym and it's a big difference when making a comeback from a medical issue.

Originally Posted by ElrondHubbard View Post
    All this is predicated on the assumption that you WILL eventually start lifting again.

Yes, whenever possible one should avoid becoming a rotter in the first place. Even training 1-2x a week in a limited full body fashion will do wonders to retain gainz in a down period.

People make the mistake of quitting instead of adapting.
    “Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.” – Joseph Pilates

A bodybuilder uses the weights to work the muscle.

miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50) miniLad343 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by CrestfallenGuy View Post
    After stopping lifting you lose the strength and muscles you gained right?
    not necessarily. Because you trained and was committed for all those times before lockdown, you are already at a better spot then if you never trained. The only thing is putting in the effort to get it back but it wont take long. You will lose some strength when you stop lifting but you will quickly regain it due to muscle memory

Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000) Duplicitous is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Due to various health issues and just life in general, I have had months and years of breaks following 13-14 years of consistent lifting. My baseline strength remained far greater than it was prior to starting and when I returned to lifting, my progress was always much, much faster than it was the first time around all those years ago. And there's science behind it.

https://www.outsideonline.com/239131...e-memory-works

iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not really. Recently got back into it after taking 8-9 months off due to covid and laziness. Arms and chest have become visibly smaller and stomach has nearly doubled.

I started about 4-6 weeks ago and first day was brutal as far as strength and performance are concerned. But as others have said after a few weeks the strength starts to come back on strong. I don't think it's all for naught cause you get back to where you were in a fraction of the time.
    Do not think that what is hard for you to master is humanly impossible; and if it is humanly possible, consider it to be within your reach.

KingKakarot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I know this is old, but I love this topic. I lifted from age 18 to 23 without any days off other than normal recovery days. I lifted through rough times, good times, etc. I ate right, trained hard and went from a skinny 145lbs to 180lbs lean.

Not going to get into details, but around 23-24 I moved to a new location, switched jobs and stopped working out for about 1.5 years. At 25 ish, I started lifting again. I started light the first week and was surprised how well my body just kind of knew what to do, my form was good, and it just felt right. After a month, I was just as strong as I was at my peak before I stopped lifting.. and then I stopped again until I was 28.

At 28, after about 3 years away from lifting - I got back into and it was the same as before. Everything came right back, this time, even quicker than a month (maybe I'm a genetic freak idk). This time, I managed to continue lifting for a good half of the year and got stronger than ever. My body looked better than ever, and it happened SUPER QUICK.

I stopped, and recently started again. I don't the details of how or why, but I know for a fact no matter what, I can always get back to where I was at my strongest, and surpass it in a much shorter time.

With that said, I was a very active child, doing hundreds of pushups a day ever since I was maybe 8 years old. As an adult, I worked in construction and then as a diesel mechanic. I was always active, although my diet sucks when I'm not training, I just don't seem to care as I don't put on fat, I just get smaller.

MUSCLE MEMORY + BEGINNER GAINS == MASSIVE GAINS??? i feel like it's the combination of muscle memory and beginner gains from the shock of getting back into lifting that made me progress so much quicker after long breaks.

Also, ever since I first bulked up to 180lb during the first years of my training, I was never skinny again. At least, not skinny compared to most average guys, not like I was. My posture has been great ever since, and so has my confidence. Don't let a long break discourage you.

GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100) GregG13 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Not totally gone, if you stop lifting and workout you loss a bit of stamina and strength but once you kick off again it'll be quicker to regain what you had before stopping.... You can try, to experience it.