JLRUTER is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question FEMALE in need of ADVICE for first cut

Hello,

I am a female who is new to weight lifting. In January, I decided I wanted to lose fat, but try my best not to lose the already VERY little muscle I have (skinny fat). Ever since the start of the new year, I have been eating at a deficit of 500 AT LEAST 5 days a week with minimal cheat days. Even on my cheat meals I make sure that I am still in a deficit. I track my calories everyday. I go to the gym AT LEAST 3 days a week and do cardio for 12 minutes (usually a mile on the elliptical) and then do weights for 45 minutes to an hour. I do heavy enough weights so that it is hard for me to complete 10 reps, and then I do 4 sets of whatever exercise I am doing. This has been going on since today. Eating at a deficit and lifting weights to try to lose fat but hopefully retain muscle. I am eating around 1450-1650 a day depending on how active I am. Do y’all think that is an ok amount?

I am 5’6 and I started at 150lbs. Since January, I have GAINED 7lbs, and am now 157lbs.

What am I doing wrong? Am I gaining weight because I have such little muscle? (I’m talking
    NO muscle at all.....). I feel physically stronger but I am worried I am not losing fat.
    I just don’t know what to do... I feel lost and discouraged that I have been very disciplined, and ended up gaining almost 10 pounds?

Thoughts? Thanks for your input.

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by JLRUTER View Post
    Hello,

I am a female who is new to weight lifting. In January, I decided I wanted to lose fat, but try my best not to lose the already VERY little muscle I have (skinny fat). Ever since the start of the new year, I have been eating at a deficit of 500 AT LEAST 5 days a week with minimal cheat days. Even on my cheat meals I make sure that I am still in a deficit. I track my calories everyday. I go to the gym AT LEAST 3 days a week and do cardio for 12 minutes (usually a mile on the elliptical) and then do weights for 45 minutes to an hour. I do heavy enough weights so that it is hard for me to complete 10 reps, and then I do 4 sets of whatever exercise I am doing. This has been going on since today. Eating at a deficit and lifting weights to try to lose fat but hopefully retain muscle. I am eating around 1450-1650 a day depending on how active I am. Do y’all think that is an ok amount?

I am 5’6 and I started at 150lbs. Since January, I have GAINED 7lbs, and am now 157lbs.
    You're not in a calorie deficit if you haven't seen any negative movement on the scale for 2-3 weeks. I highlighted your problem, and you are very likely eating back your small calorie deficit on those "cheat meals" without even realizing it. A 500 calorie deficit for 5 days is less than a pound, add in a couple cheat meals and non-tracking days on the weekend and boom, there goes your deficit.

Stop having cheat meals/days, lower your calories, and/or move more.
    The best weight loss and muscle building advice you will ever get:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eWbk-0qdg

The truth about "Recomping"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aErqkCgDuE

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You're not tracking properly and eating more than you think. Get a food scale to weigh, measure and track everything accordingly. Cheat meals, cheat days, etc...shouldn't even be in your plan when you're just starting out on a new diet. It's throwing things off so stop doing it until you get things figured out.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Over 40 bb of the week:
    http://www.bodybuilders.com/kimberly-lachance.html

Over35 Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159462681

Nutrition Coach/Trainer:
    http://www.iron-kim.com

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    cheat meals, cheat days, etc...shouldn't even be in your plan when you're just starting out on a new diet.
    ^^^^ this right here.
    The best weight loss and muscle building advice you will ever get:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eWbk-0qdg

The truth about "Recomping"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aErqkCgDuE

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Based on the calculations you're in a 500 calorie per day surplus. You need to drop 3500 calories a week to stop gaining then another 500 a day to lose a pound a week. You're way underestimating your weekly intake. Start by being consistent and cut out the weekend cheating.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's already been covered but I will echo the others by saying that you are not in an overall calorie deficit. Whether you are eating more than you think on a daily basis or on your two non-dieting days, you're not in a deficit. If you were eating 1450-1650 you would not be gaining weight. How are you counting your calories? By that I mean, are you weighing your food? Measuring it? Eyeballing it? Using an app?