flobbalob is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New here, Q regarding intermittent fasting

Hi

I’m new here, I didn’t see any kind of introduction section so I’ll do a brief one here:

I’m in my early 30’s, recently joined the gym for the first time. I’m not overweight, but I am skinny-fat and look terrible. Should have done something about it years ago but didnt and I haven’t yet unlocked the secrets of time travel so all I can do is draw the line here and go forward! What I want to do is lose fat and build muscle. I don’t want to be competing in mr. universe at all; my goal is just a half decent physique and to be just generally fitter and healthier.

I’ve been reading about intermittent fasting/eating once a day and have some questions.

1st) opinions/facts on whether this is a good idea or not, given my goals above.

2nd) what exactly should my one meal a day consist of, and how many calories should it contain

3rd) if I made my one meal in the evening, dinner time, what should my exercise timetable look like?

Just as an end note, I work a physical-ish job. I’m on my feet and moving around all day, with some moderate lifting. Last week I installed a ****meter on my phone and that clocks me at between 5-7km walking per day, 6 days a week.

Many thanks in advance if you take the time to help me, I would really appreciate it.

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    read the stickies at the top of this page. IF is nothing special and I actually advise against it if you are trying to get in shape and also work a physical job.
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

flobbalob is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the reply - but how come?

I thought that intermittent fasting was supposed to burn fat faster than other methods, without affecting muscle?

I am slowly making my way though the stickies, there’s a lot there - were you referencing anything in particular?

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by flobbalob View Post

I thought that intermittent fasting was supposed to burn fat faster than other methods, without affecting muscle?

I am slowly making my way though the stickies, there’s a lot there - were you referencing anything in particular?
    No. Fatloss is a product of a consistent weekly net calorie deficit over time. If you're trying to build muscle it's the last thing you want to be doing. For fatloss it's just a matter of when you want to take in your calories. If you have excess fat concentrate on losing fat. Once you're lean enough concentrate on gaining muscle. Get on a good weightlifting program asap also. this is just as important when you're losing fat as when you're adding muscle.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by flobbalob View Post

There is no evidence of that. Even the grand high priest of IF - Martin Berkhan never explicitly claimed there was a material advantage, just that he chose to rebel against the 6-meals-a-day dogma and it didn't hurt his results.

Perhaps it will suit you, it certainly suits me not to eat breakfast because I'm not hungry then - however I still have a protein shake because there is reasonable evidence that intraday protein timing is worth controlling.