NorthBornKing is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy Can I loose weight with insomnia?

Hello Everyone!
    Recently I moved to Japan to teach English.
    And I decided to start a healthier life while I'm here.
    I used to go to the gym when I was 19 until 21. I was always fat but I enjoyed gaining muscle, so I never focused on cardio. I'm 24 now and want to start losing weight. 4 months ago I was 217lb and now I am 195.3lb.

I want to lose enough weight to see my stomach one day. But many people I know say I can't lose a lot of weight with poor sleep. I was diagnosed with insomnia when I was 8(mostly due to my insane ADHD). I average around 4 hours of sleep a day (I'll go to bed at 12pm and turn off everything and fall asleep around 3-4am).
    My goal is to be around 170.

Anyways can I get cut and lose a lot of weight with a poor sleeping schedule?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Sleeping badly doesn't prevent weight loss - assuming you are still able to sustain a net calorie deficit.

It will harm gym performance though - which makes it harder to gain muscle. But if you have to fall back on just maintaining muscle while dieting then so be it - that's much easier than trying to gain when in a deficit.

By the way, dieting made it harder to sleep for me. Perhaps you should rethink your priorities until you've got your sleep sorted out.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Insomnia can be detrimental to fatloss as it causes the following day to be more inactive due to lack of energy.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

NorthBornKing is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yes! I agree on the figuring out my sleep thing. But I tried everything. Nothing works. I can be tired but it's my brain that keeps me up due to my ADHD.
    So even sleeping pills don't help much. They will make my body feel tired.bamd that's about it.
    I still can't sleep haha

MichaelFitG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Lack of sleep can sabotage your efforts at the gym. Lack of sleep leads to a decrease in protein synthesis, which leads to loss of muscle mass. Lack of muscle can slow down the metabolism and contribute to an increase in fat.

The recovery of the body after intense sports activities is hampered and the production of cortisol is increased. And it slows down the production of growth hormone, which is promoting tissue rejuvenation and fat burning.

As you can see, the constant lack of sleep (insomnia) can not be ignored. Deprivation of the necessary hours of sleep is fraught with metabolic disturbances and uncontrolled weight gain. Therefore, make it a rule to go to bed at the same time.
    I work as a physical education teacher in college and help students love sports and become healthier

LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10) LukeEverhart is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    In addition to the things already posted, sleep loss wreaks havoc on hormones which are important for fat loss. Sleep loss dramatically increases insulin resistance (which then requires more insulin to manage the blood sugar load from the same food, which results in longer insulin spikes, and the body can't mobilize fat for fuel (lipolysis) when insulin is elevated).
    Sleep loss also spikes ghrelin, the hunger hormone that signals the hypothalamus that you're hungry which makes it a lot harder to maintain a diet in a sleep deprived state.
    And sleep loss increases stress hormones like cortisol & cortisol increases appetite as well (different mechanism than ghrelin).

So, yeah, get the sleep in order or you're fighting a steep, uphill battle.

Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by LukeEverhart View Post
    In addition to the things already posted, sleep loss wreaks havoc on hormones which are important for fat loss. Sleep loss dramatically increases insulin resistance (which then requires more insulin to manage the blood sugar load from the same food, which results in longer insulin spikes, and the body can't mobilize fat for fuel (lipolysis) when insulin is elevated).
    Sleep loss also spikes ghrelin, the hunger hormone that signals the hypothalamus that you're hungry which makes it a lot harder to maintain a diet in a sleep deprived state.
    And sleep loss increases stress hormones like cortisol & cortisol increases appetite as well (different mechanism than ghrelin).

So, yeah, get the sleep in order or you're fighting a steep, uphill battle.
    Outstanding (and accurate) post !!!