knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Getting into calisthenics

I've been weight training for a few years now and I'm starting to get bored of doing the same exercises over and over, which leads to being less motivated and spending less time in the gym. I've been looking into calisthenics and it looks like more fun to me but I find it hard to find a good program. I would really like to learn advanced movements like muscle up, front lever, plank etc. but at the same time I still want to keep making progress in gaining muscle.

When I search for calisthenics programs I get mostly circuit programs which are not really fitted to building strength so I've been trying to make an own program but I don't know how I can balance my program so I can still build strength/muscle but also learn some more advanced moves, for example I want to start learning the muscle up so I've been doing some of the progressions for that but how much time should I spent on those progressions and how much on actually doing exercises like pull ups? I'm not looking for a pure bodyweight program, I like to mix in weighted exercises as well especially for legs.

Does someone have an example program that mixes calisthenics "tricks" with basic strength building exercises? Usually I'm working out 3 times per week. My goal is to build a better physique while learning some cool moves to have some more variety in my workouts. I'm not looking for a 50 push ups, 20 pull ups kind of program, I like to keep my reps low and just add weight or make the exercise more difficult.
    Last edited by knoopa; 02-11-2019 at 08:08 AM.

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you are looking for low reps than calisthetics isnt going to be your thing.

knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) knoopa has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    If you are looking for low reps than calisthetics isnt going to be your thing.
    You clearly know nothing about calisthenics, it's a general misconception that calisthenics = high reps and that's exactly the problem why it's so hard to find a good program. If you look into calisthenicmovement or thenx you will see that they use calisthenics for strength purposes and their training doesn't consist of doing 100 pushups or 50 pullups but they use progressions to make exercises harder while keeping the reps low. This video is a good example of that youtu.be/WxWvTDQ0Yh4.

I already know how to apply some progressions like pull ups going to archer pull ups etc. But what I can't find is how to apply progressions that are used to learn technique into strength training so that they don't affect each other too much. Besides doing harder progressions I'm also adding weight to the exercises, I just like the types of exercises more but it doesn't mean that I am limited to using body weight.

mrjrdrben has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrjrdrben has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't underestimate time under tension. exaggerate the negatives and hold at the peak of the workout. also with calisthenics, don't go till failure, you will run into a wall where you become too fatigued to apply the necessary trauma to the muscles and you will hit one hell of a plateau. I learned that the hard way!

As for programs, unfortunately Im pretty limited. I work up to about 100 pullups before a back workout, or if I wear a weight belt, I run 5 rep set to 40 or 50 total reps. Same for dips during a push day. That's worked well for me over the last year or so, I feel I have gain much more endurance from utilizing calisthenics into my weight training. But from the people I know who do primarily calisthenics, many of them wear weight belts to improve weaknesses like sticking points or lack of endurance.

Show me a strict bodyweight athlete, and I'll show you a person who could almost definitely benefit from weights. and Vise Versa

DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) DCSpartan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by knoopa View Post
    You clearly know nothing about calisthenics, it's a general misconception that calisthenics = high reps and that's exactly the problem why it's so hard to find a good program.
    I know more than you - like how long and how much repetition it takes to build up strength via calisthetics, which is why no serious strength athlete relies on it as their primary technique. And a lot of the stunts you see on youtube require years of work and effort to build up to. But hey, gfy if thats what you want.

dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You clearly know nothing about calisthenics, it's a general misconception that calisthenics = high reps and that's exactly the problem why it's so hard to find a good program. If you look into calisthenicmovement or thenx you will see that they use calisthenics for strength purposes and their training doesn't consist of doing 100 pushups or 50 pullups but they use progressions to make exercises harder while keeping the reps low. This video is a good example of that youtu.be/WxWvTDQ0Yh4.

I already know how to apply some progressions like pull ups going to archer pull ups etc. But what I can't find is how to apply progressions that are used to learn technique into strength training so that they don't affect each other too much. Besides doing harder progressions I'm also adding weight to the exercises, I just like the types of exercises more but it doesn't mean that I am limited to using body weight.
    good luck with your goals!!!

BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Cmon man, don't ask for advice then rudely call the guy out on it.

Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    I know more than you - like how long and how much repetition it takes to build up strength via calisthetics, which is why no serious strength athlete relies on it as their primary technique. And a lot of the stunts you see on youtube require years of work and effort to build up to. But hey, gfy if thats what you want.
    So how long have you been doing calisthenics yourself then if you are so well aware of how much reps it takes? And where did you see me state that I want to use bodyweight exclusively? I even stated multiple times that I still want to use weights, just on different kind of exercises. I know that it takes long to learn skills like planche or handstand push ups that's why I'm looking for a program to learn these skills without spending all my time on only the progressions.

The people I stated in my previous post use calisthenics as there primary technique to build strength, yes they use weights also but they use it as assistance to gain strength for the next progression which is exactly my plan.

It's easy to give the new guy bad rep for offending you but if you actually read my question and gave a solid advice I wouldn't have to respond like that. Instead you see the word calisthenics and think instantly that I just want to use bodyweight and stop doing all other exercises which if you actually read my post you would know is not the case.

There seems to be so much hate here for calisthenics just because it isn't the most optimal way to build strength if you're doing it exclusively. But not everyone wants to do it exclusively and when your motivation gets less because the exercises get boring maybe changing it up could actually be more optimal.

Originally Posted by mrjrdrben View Post
    Don't underestimate time under tension. exaggerate the negatives and hold at the peak of the workout. also with calisthenics, don't go till failure, you will run into a wall where you become too fatigued to apply the necessary trauma to the muscles and you will hit one hell of a plateau. I learned that the hard way!

As for programs, unfortunately Im pretty limited. I work up to about 100 pullups before a back workout, or if I wear a weight belt, I run 5 rep set to 40 or 50 total reps. Same for dips during a push day. That's worked well for me over the last year or so, I feel I have gain much more endurance from utilizing calisthenics into my weight training. But from the people I know who do primarily calisthenics, many of them wear weight belts to improve weaknesses like sticking points or lack of endurance.

Show me a strict bodyweight athlete, and I'll show you a person who could almost definitely benefit from weights. and Vise Versa
    Thanks for being the only one to actually give advice here, I don't plan to use strictly bodyweight though. Thanks for the tips and I will keep them in mind.

Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    Cmon man, don't ask for advice then rudely call the guy out on it.
    If he would actually give advice instead of just hating on calisthenics I wouldn't have to...