Erovit is on a distinguished road. (+10)

More cardio or Heavy Weights?

Hello, I've been running into a wall as of recently. So Originally I weighed in at 280 pounds, over the course of 5ish months I dropped down to 200. I have always had a dream of chasing a solid solid 6 pack. So the idea behind a 6 pack is to have extremely low BF %, though it seems like If I continue to drop another 10 or 15 ish pounds through cardio means, I'm afraid ill just look sickly. The other benefit of Cardio/running is it seems to tighten up loose skin. So I am a little confused on what my primary focus should be If i want a nice solid 6 pack with a little bit of a arm definition. Should I focus on lifting heavy and still eating at the deficit, continue with cardio at the deficit or just try and build enough muscle so that the muscle energy consumes the rest of the fat (LOL if it works like that?). Thanks in advanced.

Picture: imgur.com/a/coYffgU

No hyper link because i need 50 posts on the board apparently :c

Tactical Barbell Crew grouchyjarhead's Avatar
    grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not both?
    Beginner Powerbuilding Routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169993933

Intermediate U/L for Powerbuilding:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175303901

Erovit is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    Why not both?
    I've just heard that cardio itself can hurt muscle gains. It may be a myth but just always what I thought.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're running a marathon every day, sure. If you're only running a reasonable number of miles per week in addition to strength training, you'll be fine to do both.

Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Erovit View Post
    Hello, I've been running into a wall as of recently. So Originally I weighed in at 280 pounds, over the course of 5ish months I dropped down to 200. I have always had a dream of chasing a solid solid 6 pack. So the idea behind a 6 pack is to have extremely low BF %, though it seems like If I continue to drop another 10 or 15 ish pounds through cardio means, I'm afraid ill just look sickly. The other benefit of Cardio/running is it seems to tighten up loose skin. So I am a little confused on what my primary focus should be If i want a nice solid 6 pack with a little bit of a arm definition. Should I focus on lifting heavy and still eating at the deficit, continue with cardio at the deficit or just try and build enough muscle so that the muscle energy consumes the rest of the fat (LOL if it works like that?). Thanks in advanced.

Picture: imgur.com/a/coYffgU

No hyper link because i need 50 posts on the board apparently :c
    Congratulations that is awesome well done.
    200 pounds is a good weight I don't know your height.
    I've added running into my workouts I just do a couple of kms and remember you don't have to lift heavy all the time do pyramid weight training and you get the best of both worlds.
    Remember with the running you don't have to run miles and miles.
    Keep up the great work enjoy life and food and live the dream.

Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Erovit View Post
    I've just heard that cardio itself can hurt muscle gains. It may be a myth but just always what I thought.
    I've seen videos of Kai Greene running.
    If anything it can improve your training as your lungs can process air into oxygen better you can lift for longer I've noticed since I've taken it up I'm looking much better.
    Get good lite soft shoes

BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Pretty sure a lot of the guys who only use weights to stay slim are on gear or just young/lucky.
    Old Jarhead is right, do both.

Not just low bf% for abs, if you had big bulky abs they would be showing a little on you right now. Do hypertrophy range work on your abs (around 6-15), using an incline and possibly weight on your chest and work as hard as you can. Most guys like the high-range stuff for abs, and of course, most of them don't have good abs either.

sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50) sitsonCHROME will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    To me this seems like an obvious answer because heavy weightlifting burns more calories than cardio does and will lead to developing more muscle mass.
    "If I fail, and I pray to god that I don't, it will not be because I did not try"

mrjrdrben has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrjrdrben has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would say if theres one aspect I dislike about implementing running into your routine, its that running with sore legs really destroys your gait and can lead to injuries. stay away from steady state cardio and run some interval sprints! throw some HIIT into the mix somewhere.

This might be specific for me, but I tend to hit plateaus if I do one type of aerobic activity, relatively quickly.

Replies in 1/2 hr - 3 day GeneralSerpant's Avatar
    GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    200 lbs isn't necessarily much for a bodybuilder, but with just wanting a six pack you still probably have a considerable amount of buffer weight to not worry about. I tend to do the same thing and just stick to weights a lot, but it's kinda nice knowing I could do a bit of free falling if I really wanted to given how slimmed down I've gotten while staying above 2 bills.

Even 180 is still kinda heavy compared to people that don't train that much for weight but that'd be considerably less body fat. Yeah though I agree in being curious about your height.

(edit: yeah it looks like you close a bit of distance between the top of your head and that 7(?) ft door)

Jarhead's right that cardio won't eat up your muscle unless you're overtraining through protein deficiency. I'm not really worried about injuries, but I don't have the easiest time implementing ample cardio with a lower body day with a bit of volume.
    It's like people only do things 'cause they get paid -- and that's just really sad - Garth Algar