Thread: New to Bulking

idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10) idkwhyj is on a distinguished road. (+10)

New to Bulking

Hey guys, so I am starting a bulk and need some advice. I used to weigh 220lbs (fat) and over the past year and a half I've come down to 175lbs. I'm skinny fat at this point, much more skinny than fat though. I want to bulk but I'm really scared of gaining fat. I am about 6'1 and 175 pounds, I've been lifting heavy weights (can barely get through 6) but I am just really week in general. From my research my maintenance is anywhere between 2300 to 2500 calories. Should I be eating at maintenance or around 2750 calories if I'm skinny fat? I thought it'd be okay to eat at maintenance as long as I hit my macros (I hit minimum 100g protein on maintenance) but forums here say otherwise. What are your opinions? I'm a college student so I don't have all the money in the world to spend on groceries. Most of my protein comes from protein powder (30 grams), milk, eggs, beef and chicken. I buy stuff like cheese strings and flavoured yogurt to boost it up a bit but they're all low calorie. If I ate an ice cream cone or chips or something everyday to get that calorie surplus, do you think that'd be enough? I try keeping cardio to a minimum at the gym, just a 10 minute warm up on the bikes (sometimes treadmill). I feel like healthy foods are just so low in calories that I'd have to buy/eat more of them to bulk and I don't have enough money to be buying 6 boxes of yogurt a week lol.

iWin777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by idkwhyj View Post
    Hey guys, so I am starting a bulk and need some advice. I used to weigh 220lbs (fat) and over the past year and a half I've come down to 175lbs. I'm skinny fat at this point, much more skinny than fat though. I want to bulk but I'm really scared of gaining fat. I am about 6'1 and 175 pounds, I've been lifting heavy weights (can barely get through 6) but I am just really week in general. From my research my maintenance is anywhere between 2300 to 2500 calories. Should I be eating at maintenance or around 2750 calories if I'm skinny fat? I thought it'd be okay to eat at maintenance as long as I hit my macros (I hit minimum 100g protein on maintenance) but forums here say otherwise. What are your opinions? I'm a college student so I don't have all the money in the world to spend on groceries. Most of my protein comes from protein powder (30 grams), milk, eggs, beef and chicken. I buy stuff like cheese strings and flavoured yogurt to boost it up a bit but they're all low calorie. If I ate an ice cream cone or chips or something everyday to get that calorie surplus, do you think that'd be enough? I try keeping cardio to a minimum at the gym, just a 10 minute warm up on the bikes (sometimes treadmill). I feel like healthy foods are just so low in calories that I'd have to buy/eat more of them to bulk and I don't have enough money to be buying 6 boxes of yogurt a week lol.
    You seem to have researched well, can you comment on my post and tell me how many calories I should be intaking? As well as the protein/carb/fat percentages? Good luck on your journey!

Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jakeh1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is possible to build muscle whilst eating at maintenance providing you're new to lifting. It is more difficult in those that are more experienced.

It would be beneficial for us to see pictures.

Although the general advice is to get your protein requirements from whole foods, there is nothing wrong with protein powder at all.

If you do intend to bulk then the proposed surplus you've suggested seems fine. Monitor it for a few weeks and if you're not gaining/gaining too much then adjust accordingly.

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You also need to be hitting more than 100g of protein on maintenance, you should be getting at least 0.8g per lb of bodyweight.
    The best weight loss and muscle building advice you will ever get:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eWbk-0qdg

The truth about "Recomping"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aErqkCgDuE

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I feel like healthy foods are just so low in calories that I'd have to buy/eat more of them to bulk and I don't have enough money to be buying 6 boxes of yogurt a week lol.
    Outside of caloric value/content (in relationship to your limits/goal), what makes a food healthy vs unhealthy?

Simply add some higher calorie foods to your diet.

TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sounds like sandwiches should be your best friend. Cheap, turkey (and most lunch meat) is high in protein, and a slice of cheese will help add calories, fat, and protein. If you want even more calories on your sandwich add guacamole or mayo. Buy whole milk.

If you don’t have one, you need a digital kitchen scale to weigh all your food, make sure you’re counting calories correctly.

My opinion, if you’ve been chubby before and worried about getting fat again I’d stay away from the chips and ice cream.

Harsh Truth Distributor xsquid99's Avatar
    xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) xsquid99 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheUnderdog83 View Post
    Sounds like sandwiches should be your best friend. Cheap, turkey (and most lunch meat) is high in protein, and a slice of cheese will help add calories, fat, and protein. If you want even more calories on your sandwich add guacamole or mayo. Buy whole milk.
    Mmm, sammiches...
    The best weight loss and muscle building advice you will ever get:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0eWbk-0qdg

The truth about "Recomping"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aErqkCgDuE