beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50)

A Bit Of Help From Anyone Using Shaft Collars On Bars Or Axles

I'm buying new gear and need to see if shaft collars suit my needs.

Will 1 15/16" fit on regular oly bars and dumbbells? Are they too big for a 1.9" fence post/axle?

I'm also thinking of making a short axle for Zerchers, what would be the best way to permanently attach collars as inner stop? I can't weld, and was thinking of drilling a hole in the post and putting a bolt through the set screw hole on the shaft collar.

To help clarify, the first kind of collar is what I would use on the DB handles, the second kind is what I am considering for the Zercher axle.
    Attached Images

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by beefyron View Post
    I'm buying new gear and need to see if shaft collars suit my needs.

Will 1 15/16" fit on regular oly bars and dumbbells? Are they too big for a 1.9" fence post/axle?

I'm also thinking of making a short axle for Zerchers, what would be the best way to permanently attach collars as inner stop? I can't weld, and was thinking of drilling a hole in the post and putting a bolt through the set screw hole on the shaft collar.

To help clarify, the first kind of collar is what I would use on the DB handles, the second kind is what I am considering for the Zercher axle.
    For inner stop just get a double split shaft collar and then tighten it real tight, they won't move, they have tremendous clamp. With the double split, you can assemble it around the bar. If the bar is too big at that point you could sand the bar a tiny bit where you want the inner collar to go and then clamp the collar to that spot, rather than having to slide it from the ends. I think most people use 1 1/2 schedule 40 or 80 black pipe and the size 1 15/16" shaft collars so you are in good company.

I think the set collars are more likely to move over time than the double split so I would be comfortable in use the double split as a "permanent" inner stop. The split collars clamp nearly the entire circumference around the shaft while the set screw are pinned at a single point on that circumference, which also mars the underlying shaft, so the split collars should be stronger.
    http://www.collarsandcouplings.com/t...parison-chart/

These guys describe using the 1 15/16 collars on 1.9" O.D. schedule 80 piping:
    http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=82423

This BB.com member uses the set collars 1 15/16 on 1.9" O.D. schedule 40 black pipe
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...0595593&page=1

You could also consider putting some large rubber washers on the outside of the shaft collar to protect the plates and collar from each other.
    If you want some "knurl" to grip, then use Howies or similar white hockey tape and wrap the area between the collars for grip.
    Last edited by ampire; 02-11-2019 at 06:16 AM.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ampire again
    Thanks for this info. Was interested in this exact thing myself.

beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50) beefyron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Awesome, thank you! I can't imagine the collar bolt being sheared off from the plate just sitting on it, but split collars do sound good.

Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    For inner stop just get a double split shaft collar and then tighten it real tight, they won't move, they have tremendous clamp. With the double split, you can assemble it around the bar. If the bar is too big at that point you could sand the bar a tiny bit where you want the inner collar to go and then clamp the collar to that spot, rather than having to slide it from the ends. I think most people use 1 1/2 schedule 40 or 80 black pipe and the size 1 15/16" shaft collars so you are in good company.

I think the set collars are more likely to move over time than the double split so I would be comfortable in use the double split as a "permanent" inner stop. The split collars clamp nearly the entire circumference around the shaft while the set screw are pinned at a single point on that circumference, which also mars the underlying shaft, so the split collars should be stronger.
    http://www.collarsandcouplings.com/t...parison-chart/

These guys describe using the 1 15/16 collars on 1.9" O.D. schedule 80 piping:
    http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=82423

This BB.com member uses the set collars 1 15/16 on 1.9" O.D. schedule 40 black pipe
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...0595593&page=1

You could also consider putting some large rubber washers on the outside of the shaft collar to protect the plates and collar from each other.
    If you want some "knurl" to grip, then use Howies or similar white hockey tape and wrap the area between the collars for grip.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The split collars won't damage the shaft which is needed if the shaft is mounted in a bearing, but still good for any use.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    The split collars won't damage the shaft which is needed if the shaft is mounted in a bearing, but still good for any use.
    At first I thought the split shaft might clamp to a 1.9" bar with a 1.9375" collar, to be honest I am not sure. Usually theres some gap between the collar halves when its fit to size which might be enough to compress it around the smaller than intended bar. The price is double on them though compared to the set collars. This is the best price I could find on the splits https://www.amazon.com/DSC-1-15-16-D...dp/B06Y3MN44R/. Compare to around half the price for set screws https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Steel-P.../dp/B01CDKJ2YE

Reading about most using the set screw leads me to think that would be a better recommendation if only just because we know it can be done and its a lot cheaper.

Shermworks shows the set screw type being used here
    http://www.shermworks.com/bars.htm
    Last edited by ampire; 02-13-2019 at 07:44 AM.

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ampire View Post
    At first I thought the split shaft might clamp to a 1.9" bar with a 1.9375" collar, to be honest I am not sure. Usually theres some gap between the collar halves when its fit to size which might be enough to compress it around the smaller than intended bar. The price is double on them though compared to the set collars. This is the best price I could find on the splits https://www.amazon.com/DSC-1-15-16-D...dp/B06Y3MN44R/. Compare to around half the price for set screws https://www.amazon.com/Solid-Steel-P.../dp/B01CDKJ2YE

Reading about most using the set screw leads me to think that would be a better recommendation if only just because we know it can be done and its a lot cheaper.

Shermworks shows the set screw type being used here
    http://www.shermworks.com/bars.htm
    The collars I've used have been set screw collars as they're on items that any marring by the set screw wouldn't be an issue.
    Now OK for Sig line to be a novel

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by irongrandpa View Post
    The collars I've used have been set screw collars as they're on items that any marring by the set screw wouldn't be an issue.
    Yes, the set screws only become an issue if used to secure a shaft inserted into bushings or bearings, when tightened the set screw will inevitably damage the shaft,
    in my experience even a slight indent makes tapping out the shaft extremely difficult.