metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50) metalbabble will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Are minor injuries and working through them a natural part of building a new body?

This might sound controversial, but I was hoping for varied opinions here.

I've found that over the years when I was working hard toward fitness goals, minor injuries were always a part of the process, whether it was shin splints, minor muscle tears, sore tendons in the ankles and wrists.. Is this part of the natural ebb and flow of getting fit, or are these things entirely unnatural and have I been doing it wrong?

Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Archking is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    for me it has been, get tennis elbow for q couple months a few times a year and when it happens I drop the weight and do high reps with no issues
    You can always go deeper than you think - Chris Bumstead

sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000) sowilson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    the problem is in defining what "minor injury" is. Get it wrong and you can mess yourself up more. Instead of working "through" minor injuries it's usually best to work "around" or "with" them. In other words respect your minor injury and give it what it needs to heal while you work around it for a while. If you frequently have minor injuries from working out that are not attributable to mishaps (i.e. dropping a weight on your foot), then you should listen to your body and work on finding out the root cause of the recurring injury and fix what needs fixing; form, footwear choice, routine composition, rest, etc.

TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TheUnderdog83 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    the problem is in defining what "minor injury" is. Get it wrong and you can mess yourself up more. Instead of working "through" minor injuries it's usually best to work "around" or "with" them. In other words respect your minor injury and give it what it needs to heal while you work around it for a while. If you frequently have minor injuries from working out that are not attributable to mishaps (i.e. dropping a weight on your foot), then you should listen to your body and work on finding out the root cause of the recurring injury and fix what needs fixing; form, footwear choice, routine composition, rest, etc.
    Agreed. Never ignore the pain, at the very least you will likely need to adjust weight or exercises until the pain goes away. If it is more significant you’ll need to see a dr.

To your original question, yes, aches and pains will come and go with lifting. Mine is almost always wrist related.

leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500) leidenesLK is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sowilson View Post
    This.

Work around them not through them. When injuries start to show up, the first thing in question usually is your form and possibly even routine. Record your form on exercises giving you trouble and seek feedback on your routine. Could be poorly balanced or it might have some joint/muscle overlap between days. Also, it's important to schedule deloads.

Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sqweebo will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Work around them. What sometimes seem like minor injuries can affect your progress or as others have stated lead to worst injuries.

I had bad shoulder pain awhile back and I kept doing barbell bench press, out of this belief I had to do that to progress as part of my chest routine. The reality is that pain from the bench press negatively impacted the rest of my chest workout and resulted in a my chest lagging from the rest of my body.

Once I dropped it and replaced it with dumbbell bench and replaced all the chest exercises leading to pain, not only did my shoulder begin to heal, but my chest finally began to develop properly.

So work around,work around,Work around..

sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    depends what that minor injury is and whether or not it is significant and could lead to major injuries if left unchecked.

you'll have some minor bumps and bruises here and there, that usually doesn't stop me from training. I'll get very minor elbow pain here and there, it's more of a sign that I need a deload more than anything or to cut back on the volume for a week.

I've worked around major injuries as well too, like a messed up back, obviously doing exercises that don't aggravate it.

BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm injured about half the time. A lot of the time I try to work around an injury by altering my technique and end up causing another. All part of the fun and challenge of it.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It happens and more to some than others.
    All you can do is do your best to avoid them but it does happen.
    You have to know how to work around an issue and try to let it get better.
    Examine what you did that may of made it happen and modify or omit that movement in place of something else.
    Good luck .

Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Be4Real has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    For me yes I haven't taken any time off doing weights since I started over 8 years ago I've always worked through the injury modifying the workout.
    My current injury is my shoulder I've had for a long time
    I can't remember when I was last pain free.

radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) radrd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Every injury I've ever had from exercise was something I could have prevented. Oftentimes I was over-training one muscle group and/or had poor form. I would argue that someone who is extremely smart, follows established programs, and pays attention can almost entirely avoid injury.

burfio has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I definitely think so, to an extent. If you talk to anyone who is fit, they usually have sufferered or are in the process of recovering from an injury or strain. It’s part of living. You lift heavy things, you move fast, you live more dangerously than the average person, thus putting yourself at risk for more injuries. If you find yourself always injured and suffering from various injuries simultaneously, you may want to take a closer look at your training program and assess how sustainable it is long term. If it gets really bad, take a couple days off and go back to give your body a little bit of a chance to recover. Better to be safe then get a bigger injury down the road. Use your judgement! You’re not doing anything wrong.