chrisjumper is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Dumbbell Press or Chest Press machine?

So i want to build my chest, and I recently moved into a new condo complex that has a chest press machine in the gym, but i've heard lots of negative things about them, the gym doesn't have a benchpress, so my choices are either the chest press machine or just doing dumbbell bench presses. Which one is better? Thanks

Registered User johndoethethird's Avatar
    johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250) johndoethethird has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Negative things about machines in general are usually due to being a fixed range of motion which might cause possible injuries later down the road, as people have different leverages on different lifts. I personally use both in my "arsenal" as long as I don't feel any sort of weird tenderness in a specific area especially for machines and usually test them out and change seat height etc so I feel comfortable, they aren't bad per se but they are both just another tool in your program.

Pump addict since 1996 Natty1980's Avatar
    Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Natty1980 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    The bad thing about the machines is that they have a fixed trajectory but the good thing is that the trajectory and range of motion are more or less correct for most people.
    With the dumbbells you will have more freedom and once you have learnt the correct form, the movement will be more natural and less dangerous for your shoulders.
    Just my 2 cents

ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ECGordyn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    DBs for sure as your main movement if you don't have BB right now.
    Workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175647011&p=1549185671#post1549185671

Burger bulk crew
    Calves crew
    Straps crew
    I do what the f* I wanna do crew

grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Which is better?...Both!

The bench machine is going to let you overload the muscles with much more weight. The Dumbell presses are going to give you a better range of motion,help with balance and bring infamous “stabalizers” into play.

I’d definately include both in my routine.
    My 8 year progress video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wg3BXudgIjg

montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50) montiii will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Which is better?...Both!

The bench machine is going to let you overload the muscles with much more weight. The Dumbell presses are going to give you a better range of motion,help with balance and bring infamous “stabalizers” into play.

I’d definately include both in my routine.
    This is what I've been told too!

BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I wouldn't use the chest press machine either. Your rotator cuff only likes moving in certain arcs, and on a machine you have little choice so can cause an impingement injury. It is true about it letting you move more weight and really stressing the muscle fibers, but the risk of injury and causing bad motor patterns would make me not use them, unless maybe with care as a high-rep finisher.

Dumbbell Bench Press are better, they aren't super-safe either though. Don't go to failure because you can drop them on your body/face or twist your shoulder back when dropping them, easily done in a split second.

grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grubman has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    I wouldn't use the chest press machine either. Your rotator cuff only likes moving in certain arcs, and on a machine you have little choice so can cause an impingement injury. It is true about it letting you move more weight and really stressing the muscle fibers, but the risk of injury and causing bad motor patterns would make me not use them, unless maybe with care as a high-rep finisher.
    This is simply a parroting of things you’ve heard. Any peice of gym equipment (machines or free weights) are capable of causing injury if used incorrectly.

You could also stand to do a little more research on “impingements”, which aren’t generally caused by any particular apparatus, but usually by repetitive motion over time...trust me, more experienced lifters have gotten impingements from free weights than machines, simply because they use them more.

Everything in the gym is a tool, and none are “unsafe” if used properly...and most are beneficial when they are. It’s your choice to use machines or not, but advising others against them under misguided information is poor form (pun intended).

gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Agree with the Grubman!

superman704 superman704 superman704 superman704 superman704 superman704 superman704 superman704 superman704 superman704 superman704
    Dumbells are way better
    John 3:16

Weight Loss Expert Healthymom5230's Avatar
    Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100) Healthymom5230 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by chrisjumper View Post
    So i want to build my chest, and I recently moved into a new condo complex that has a chest press machine in the gym, but i've heard lots of negative things about them, the gym doesn't have a benchpress, so my choices are either the chest press machine or just doing dumbbell bench presses. Which one is better? Thanks
    It is true that dumb bells are better due the necessity to involve more of your auxiliary musculature. Having said that, if you slow it down and get a good stretch on down stroke, you can make it work.

BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BenMcLeodNZ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    This is simply a parroting of things you’ve heard. Any peice of gym equipment (machines or free weights) are capable of causing injury if used incorrectly.

You could also stand to do a little more research on “impingements”, which aren’t generally caused by any particular apparatus, but usually by repetitive motion over time...trust me, more experienced lifters have gotten impingements from free weights than machines, simply because they use them more.

Everything in the gym is a tool, and none are “unsafe” if used properly...and most are beneficial when they are. It’s your choice to use machines or not, but advising others against them under misguided information is poor form (pun intended).
    Based on anatomy and physiology training and professionally treating shoulder injuries in a wide demographic of people, actually.

Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    Based on anatomy and physiology training and professionally treating shoulder injuries in a wide demographic of people, actually.
    You do realize people can go back and read all your former posts as well right? You can disagree with me, I can disagree with you, but don’t make up credentials to try and add weight to your opinion.