asrl78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asrl78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Squat form check please

Can someone please tell me if my squat form is ok from the perspective of lower back safety. Having looked at the video I appreciate I need to get a few inches lower, but am primarily concerned with avoiding lower back sharp pain, which occurs when I lift near 70 kg. This was done with a weight that had previously caused back pain but didn't this time.

vimeo.com/316278549

ofgrammatology has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you are doing high bar squats with lower bar style sitting back and pushing your hips back.
    if you look at bar path, it is not straight (something i struggle with also) but your bar moves a lot forward.
    If i had to give you one advice, it will be
    if you want to keep the bar where it is, let your knees travel forward dont try to sit back this much. you will have more upright torso at the bottom if you do that
    but that obviously if you want to keep squatting high bar.

QUOTE=asrl78;1573241601]Can someone please tell me if my squat form is ok from the perspective of lower back safety. Having looked at the video I appreciate I need to get a few inches lower, but am primarily concerned with avoiding lower back sharp pain, which occurs when I lift near 70 kg. This was done with a weight that had previously caused back pain but didn't this time.

vimeo.com/316278549[/QUOTE]

dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by asrl78 View Post
    Can someone please tell me if my squat form is ok from the perspective of lower back safety. Having looked at the video I appreciate I need to get a few inches lower, but am primarily concerned with avoiding lower back sharp pain, which occurs when I lift near 70 kg. This was done with a weight that had previously caused back pain but didn't this time.

vimeo.com/316278549
    to me it looks like your doing high bar squats with a low bar descent! i could be wrong but to me thats what it looks like

JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000) JackMan017 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'd like to see you squat with less weight. That weight looks a little too heavy. Near the end, I started getting pretty nervous for your lower back.
    I prefer to squat with the bar lower on my back.
    All in all, your form looks pretty decent to me. I'm far from a squat pro though. Maybe a few more can chime in...

asrl78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) asrl78 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JackMan017 View Post
    I'd like to see you squat with less weight. That weight looks a little too heavy. Near the end, I started getting pretty nervous for your lower back.
    I prefer to squat with the bar lower on my back.
    All in all, your form looks pretty decent to me. I'm far from a squat pro though. Maybe a few more can chime in...
    Thanks, the weight was about the very upper limit of what I could lift for three sets of five without failing, as you can see I had to really fight to get it up, and I was concentrating on trying to bring my hips and shoulder up together, not having my hips rise before my shoulders then using my back to lever the weight up. The last time I lifted that weight I did get lower back pain, I was told it was because I pushed my hips too far back and bent over too much. This time I had no back pain, so I thought that meant I had sorted the technique, but apparently not as it appears I am doing the sit back down as if sitting on a chair too much, and I need to bend more at my knees on the descent. Something else to focus on next time.

That last workout has had a big effect on me. I have felt wiped out most of the weekend, I don't normally spend four hours in bed on a Sunday afternoon and evening. I thought the body is supposed to respond by getting stronger after lifting heavy.

FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FaIIen is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The last time I lifted that weight I did get lower back pain, I was told it was because I pushed my hips too far back and bent over too much.
    Sounds about right. Keeping the bar high on your traps with that much folding will lengthen the moment arm making the matters worse.

it appears I am doing the sit back down as if sitting on a chair too much, and I need to bend more at my knees on the descent. Something else to focus on next time.
    Yup, more forward knee travel and a more upright torso would alleviate the problem. The way I see it, you have two options.

You can keep doing high bar if you wish, but you'll need to work on your form a lot to be able to stay more upright.Your femurs are very long, so you'll certainly have to work on your dorsiflexion to hit depth. Shoes with elevated heels would make the dorsiflexion part somewhat easier, but you'll still have to work on it.

Option two would be to lower to your rear delts. Although I'd still work on getting a little more knee travel.
    Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175660541