RCKeeper has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wendler 531 vs Alternatives

Hi all,

I've been looking for a strength program to run 3-4x per week that pairs well with more endurance/HIIT-orientated workouts the other 2-3x per week.

I'm nearly finished with my first cycle of Wendler 5/3/1, but I'm not quite certain it's the right fit; volume is pretty low, but it's also pushing me to lift a bit heavier than usual, so that may be appropriate.

I'd like to build overall strength and enjoy focusing on compound movements. I'd say I'm at roughly an intermediate lifting level.

I've completed T-Nation's "Hard Body Training for Women" and enjoyed that quite a bit, but felt it was slightly limiting in that it narrowed focus on the squat and push-press.

Does anyone here have any advice for strength programs that play nicely with endurance/HIIT workouts on the non-strength days?

gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Focus on strength and the compound lifts, checks the right boxes for the program I'm on, Greyskull LP.

Originally Posted by gcoulson View Post
    Focus on strength and the compound lifts, checks the right boxes for the program I'm on, Greyskull LP.
    I looked up the Greyskull LP program, and it does look appealing. Question though - the workout plan I found just lists 1 set of 5 reps for DL, once a week. Is that a misprint? Seems a little weird when the other exercises were 2x5, 1xAMRAP.

gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000) gcoulson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by RCKeeper View Post
    I looked up the Greyskull LP program, and it does look appealing. Question though - the workout plan I found just lists 1 set of 5 reps for DL, once a week. Is that a misprint? Seems a little weird when the other exercises were 2x5, 1xAMRAP.
    Once you get to heavier weights, one set of DL is sufficient. For added volume, i add 2 sets of lighter RDLs as an accessory movement.

rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A second vote for doing Greyskull LP. It's a great advanced novice program, that you can run for quite a while, before needing to switch to an intermediate one like Texas method or 5-3-1. If you want more deadlift volume specifically, another suggestion is to do the them and squats on the alternating days, instead of two squat days and one deadlift day every week.

The more I read about Greyskull LP, the more I'm excited to try it! Looks like it will mesh pretty well. I do need to make sure I don't over-do the accessory work (sometimes I get a little over-zealous), but overall I'm feeling pretty good about it, and think it may be more appropriate for my level than 5/3/1.

Made myself an Excel template and will be starting it on Monday; I found a version that alternates back and front squats (vice doing back squats 2x per week) that I think I'll try.

Appreciate the advice from you guys!

The more I read about Greyskull LP, the more I'm excited to try it! Looks like it will mesh pretty well. I do need to make sure I don't over-do the accessory work (sometimes I get a little over-zealous), but overall I'm feeling pretty good about it, and think it may be more appropriate for my level than 5/3/1.

Made myself an Excel template and will be starting it on Monday; I found a version that alternates back and front squats (vice doing back squats 2x per week) that I think I'll try.

Appreciate the advice from you guys!
    Great program. Here's a cool summary with some options:

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...imer/70504728/

rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you have a smartphone, get an app called personal training coach. It has Greyskull LP built in among others. The paid version allows you more customization. Great app.

Thanks for the link and tip on the app.

Searching around online, I found a few accessory options that I think will fit nicely with the rest of my goals as well. Excited to see how far I can get before stalling out.

Here's the layout I'm going to start out with; the Olympic lifts are pulled from a Greyskull variation I read about on the StrongVillain site.

Mon Week 1:
    Power Snatch: 7-10 singles, moderate weight I know I can hit.
    OH Press: 2x5, 1xAMRAP
    Back Squat: 2x5, 1xAMRAP
    Push-Press: 2x8-10
    OH Squat:2x8-10 (being able to perform the OH squat with solid form is a personal goal of mine, so I'm nowhere near going heavy, but trying to really work on form)

Tues: Steady-state run + 20-30 min HIIT + Abs

Wed Week 1:
    Bench press: 2x5, 1xAMRAP
    Power Clean: 5-6 singles, ramp up so last 3 are heavier
    Deadlift: 1xAMRAP
    Incline Press: 2x8-10 (alternate with DB bench press when there's 2 BPs in a week)
    DB RDL: 2x-8-10

Thurs: Steady-state run + 20-30 min HIIT + Abs

Fri Week 1:
    Steady-state run (if feeling good; trying to get a run in 4x per week, so it's going to have to overlap somewhere)
    Clean & Jerk: 7-10 singles, moderate weight
    OH Press: 2x5, 1xAMRAP
    Front Squat: 2x5, 1xAMRAP
    Turkish Get-Up: 2x8-10
    Split Squat: 2x8-10

Sat: Steady-state run + 20-30 min HIIT + Abs

Sun: Rest

Also, quick question: I assume that I'm a novice, but according to the EXRX charts, I'm intermediate (and in a few cases, close to advanced) on a few of the lifts.

I'm slightly dubious about how accurate those charts are for women, but assuming they're accurate, is Greyskull LP still likely to be a good fit for me? On the surface, I like the way it's structured and think it looks like fun. Just wasn't sure if I should prepare to stall out sooner, or tweak anything to make it more appropriate.

For reference: 31-year-old female (not sure why it says 21 on my profile), 5'8, 150 lbs.

Estimated 1RMs:
    - Bench Press: 120 lbs (based on 110x4 reps)
    - Deadlift: 230 lbs (based on 205x5 reps)
    - Back Squat: 170 lbs (based on 145x6 reps)
    - Power Clean: 115 lbs (true 1RM)

sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sooby has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hi all,

I've been looking for a strength program to run 3-4x per week that pairs well with more endurance/HIIT-orientated workouts the other 2-3x per week.

I'm nearly finished with my first cycle of Wendler 5/3/1, but I'm not quite certain it's the right fit; volume is pretty low, but it's also pushing me to lift a bit heavier than usual, so that may be appropriate.

I'd like to build overall strength and enjoy focusing on compound movements. I'd say I'm at roughly an intermediate lifting level.

I've completed T-Nation's "Hard Body Training for Women" and enjoyed that quite a bit, but felt it was slightly limiting in that it narrowed focus on the squat and push-press.

Does anyone here have any advice for strength programs that play nicely with endurance/HIIT workouts on the non-strength days?
    If you ran the 5/3/1 that you've seen on websites, then you haven't even scratched 5% of what 5/3/1 really is. There are literally 100s of variations of 531 that can be ran, alot of them with higher volume if you have the book.

But it seems like you are interested in GSLP. I would say your lifts are intermediate. Your squat might be late-novice but I would say try out GSLP. I'm sure you can still squeak out some gains on that program.