Fayari is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Please help me with my workout.

Context: I've done some weight training in the past when times were good, but let myself go physically, mentally, academically and financially. Still, I'm trying to turn my life around and I managed to get a student loan and get into law school. I'm currently unemployed right now, so I can't afford a gym membership, but I'm lined up for some job interviews, and I managed to snag a set of adjustable dumbbells from a friend.

Long story short, I'm a flabby fatass who wants to get ripped. I want to continue my upward trend. Lose as much fat as possible and get as ripped as possible. Here's the workout I'm currently doing at home.

_
    _

Everyday: Running (2.5 km)
    _

Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays ("Big" Lifts)

Chest: Wide Push Ups (40)
    Upper Back: Bent Over Dumbbell Rows (8 reps, 5 sets)
    Legs: Squats (8 reps, 5 sets)
    Lower Back: Deadlift (8 reps, 5 sets)
    _

Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays ("Small" Lifts and "Recovery" Days)

Shoulders: Overhead Press (4 reps, 5 sets)
    Biceps: Bicep Curls (4 reps, 5 sets)
    Triceps: Diamond Push Ups (20)
    Calves: Weighted Calf Raises (4 reps, 5 sets)
    Abs: Weighted Sit Ups (20)
    _

Sunday: Rest
    _
    _

I know it's not much, but at least I've already lost 5 pounds and I really wanted to start off light so that I stick with it and not lose motivation. The big problem I'm running into is that the dumbbells only go up to 105 pounds total (52.5 pounds each), so for the "big" lifts, they're just too light to give me a good pump. I'm obviously looking to replace the Push Ups with Bench Press and increase the weights on my Rows, Squats, and Deadlifts when I can finally afford a gym membership. In the meantime, what improvements do you guys think I can make to the routine?

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Read: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=165843261

Pick-up a 3x/week full body from the stickies at the top of this forum.

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Wow...more is not better.

Do you know you are working the smaller muscles every single day?

Your shoulders do not get a break...at all.

Follow the advice of BS57...you will go far from there....
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=78

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

Fayari is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Squid24 View Post
    Wow...more is not better.

Do you know you are working the smaller muscles every single day?

Your shoulders do not get a break...at all.

Follow the advice of BS57...you will go far from there....
    Do you think I might be overtraining my shoulders? Should I do less shoulder presses?

I mean, I only do 4 reps, 5 sets for each exercise on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. That's only 20 total reps per exercise. And like I said, the adjustable dumbbells are lighter than I used to lift back in the day. They only go up to 52.5 pounds per arm, and honestly I thought I was actually undertraining my shoulders since the 20 shoulder presses don't feel difficult to do on those days. 105 total pounds is less than 45% of my body weight.

Honestly, the only things I really struggle with on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays are the sit-ups and the running. It's all the fat on my stomach weighing me down and blocking my way. The arm and shoulder work don't feel that bad, and though the push-ups aren't easy because I'm still 235 pounds, I can get through on them since I've already lost about 5-6 pounds so far.

I've been reading some of the 3x/wk workouts on the forum, but most of them seem seem to require access to a barbell and or a gym membership, neither of which I can afford right now. The nutrition threads are really useful though. I'm reading through one right now.

No help for this one.... Squid24's Avatar
    Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Squid24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    There is a DB program in here as well.

I workout at home, and started with DB's. I slowly bought proper equipment...so it does take time, but I was never working out with weights 6 days a week the way way you are.
    My Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170367151&page=78

"Muff divers local #69.....no muff too tough....we dive at five"

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Fayari View Post

I've been reading some of the 3x/wk workouts on the forum, but most of them seem seem to require access to a barbell and or a gym membership, neither of which I can afford right now. The nutrition threads are really useful though. I'm reading through one right now.
    I started last year using propane tanks and water jugs until I picked-up a 300lb oly weight set for $200, and got 4 line block (foundation block), stacked 2 on each end and an 8'-2"x6" cut in half, and the 2 (4') pieces laid side-by-side on the stacked block for a bench (probably cost $10 for "bench".

Eventually ordered a decent rack/bench from SprawlMart for under $200. Granted, my heavy days are behind me, though I could see where this wouldn't be sufficient for someone younger/stronger. YMMV.

Just saying, there are less expensive options to get you started.

Under $400