gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Loggity Log Log Log

Long time member, long time lifter, seldom comment or contribute, hardly ever log. So, in the spirit of "New Year, New Me," here goes:

Meeeeee: 42, grew up athletic, lifter since early 20s, spent a few years Crossfitting in my early 30s, world's whiniest occasional long distance runner, avid surfer.

Injuries: Too many to mention, but here's the ones that require maintenance and are therefore relevant: brachial plexus injury (2 years of shoulder rehab, still a bit iffy, but mostly ok) Two back surgeries - disc stuff following a fall--many years post injury, but after many years of training like a jackass, some lifts are just not doable. Two stress fractures in back about a year and a half ago --- healed, feeling good, monthly chiropractic visits and working on using this thing I've heard about called "common sense."

Goals: STRENGTH. And....shudder....flexibility. Young'uns take note- this is important as you get older. Following the recent stress fractures, I couldn't barbell squat, deadlift, shoulder press (military) clean, snatch....etc for about 6-8 months. Started back on all except deadlifts in July. Only doing hang cleans and hang snatches as pulling from the floor still aggravates my back --- might be a flexibility issue. Back squat was NEVER my strongest lift but having to start over from JUST the bar was a wee bit crushing. I'm up to a 5X5 at 165 now, which is a mere 40lbs away from where I was pre-injury. Sigh. So, not to ramble, but goals are to increase lifts back to where they once were and ideally....more! And commit to a weekly yoga class. I work a full-time job that entails a pain in the @ss commute and I'm active in my community. When I get busy, stuff like yoga/massage/self-care stuff is the first to go.

Weird that I started a log on a Wednesday-so here's Monday and Tuesday's workouts, I'll log today's later:

Monday:

Back squat (a lot of warmup sets)

5 reps @ 135, 145, 155, 160, 165

1X3 @ 170, 175

1X2 180, 185

3X10 @ 115

Good mornings - 3x10 at 70

Barbell lunges (45) 3 x30

sumo squats (45lb plate) superset w/single leg deadlifts (25lb dumbbell) - 3x12

hamstring curls (machine) 3x10 @ 50

box jumps - 3x20

Tuesday:

Incline dumbbell bench - 8 reps with 35s, 40s, 45s, 47s, 5 reps with 50s

Superset pushups (20) w/barbell curl (10 @ 50) x 4

Hammer Strength chest press - 4x8 w/40s

Superset shoulder raise - 30lb bar w/dumbbell hammer curls (25s) 10 x4

KB Swings - 35lb, 4 x15

Cardio - planned to jump rope but couldn't find it anywhere in the gym. Incline walk on treadmill for 20 minutes. zzzzzzzzzz

Feel free to comment, criticize, and/or patiently instruct me on how to add a profile pic

gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10) gottabelieve is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Wednesday:
    8x8 barbell row @95lb
    5x5 pullups
    5x5 chin-ups
    4x12 Hammer Strength high row @ 130

Superset - 3x10 dips and rope face pulls (40lb)

Superset - 3x10 cable lat pulldowns and tripcep pulldowns @ 70lb

Superset - 3 x10 dumbbell row (45lb) rear delt raise 20lb

Cardio: 20 minutes spin bike
    Foam roll - lats, mid back, IT band

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Awesome job on the squats and incline bp OP! Subbed. Yeah I hear you on the flexibility. I feel like I spend more time trying to fix things that with stretching and foam rolling than I actually spend lifting. I even have a few stretches I do every single day when I wake up and before bed to fix some bigger issues.

Great numbers all around, eager to see your progress!
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Awesome job on the squats and incline bp OP! Subbed. Yeah I hear you on the flexibility. I feel like I spend more time trying to fix things that with stretching and foam rolling than I actually spend lifting. I even have a few stretches I do every single day when I wake up and before bed to fix some bigger issues.

Great numbers all around, eager to see your progress!
    thank you for following! I lurk in your journal frequently =) I'll be sure to say hi next time I'm in there gathering inspiration. And oh my yes- the life of the "older lifter." My workout time had definitely increased as I've gotten older--but that's due to the warmup time, post workout stretch and foam roll...and lately, I joined the sauna bandwagon. I find that it really does help with my recovery.

Thursday - Off day. I had a community meeting to attend and there wasn't time after work and traffic to fit in the gym. I had planned on it being an off day and I actually looked forward to the "break." Over the years, I've learned that I'm just someone that prefers no days off - which is foolish- so having a reason to schedule the off day was appreciated. And....as February is still January-like crazy in my gym, it was a pleasure to not fight the crowd for an evening.

Friday: The title of this workout should be...."Why I Lift Alone." Had planned on going to the gym at 5pm, sat down on the couch and got sucked into House Hunters until 6pm, debated about not going, got changed and went anyway. Proceeded to have a great workout, just not the one that I had planned. As much as I appreciate having goals, the gym is my recess time so if I'm enjoying the exercise I'm doing, I'm quick to abandon my planned programming.

Back squat - many warmup sets followed by 5x5 @ 150.
    *planned front squats did not happen because although my mind was tired - my joints felt fantastic so I kept going*
    1x3 @ 160, 165, 170
    1x2 @ 175
    1x1 @ 180
    1x1 @185
    1x1 @190 yay
    1x1 @ 195 OMG YAY
    Stopped there because despite the gym being FULL, it was full of strangers and I had no spotter ((whomp whomp)) But totally happy - best numbers I've had in over a year. I'd been stuck for the past two months so hopefully this was a breakthrough and not just a random great night.
    3x10 @ 125

Good mornings - 3x10 @ 70
    Super set 4 x 12 sumo squat (35lb plate) single leg deadlifts (25lb dumbbell)
    Dumbbell step ups (20 inch box, 15lb dumbells ) 3x20

Banded walks 3x20 steps

Machine Leg Press - 4x12 @110lb

Machine Hamstring curls - 4x10 @ 65

20 minutes elliptical because I still had energy but need to walk tomorrow

10 minutes foam roll, 10 minutes sauna

Busy busy day tomorrow - I participate in beach cleanups most Saturdays and tomorrow is one of the tougher ones, followed by the obligatory Costco and grocery store run, meal prep, and then ideally gym time as I've scheduled some frolic time on Sunday.

Happy Weekend everyone! I live in Hawaii so I am many, many hours behind...I'm guessing everyone

Long day and its not over yet - taking a quick snack break to log my workout. Started the day w/beach cleanup. I volunteer with an organization that does island-wide beach and park cleanups. This one is in my neighborhood. It's a great community beach but over the years it's become somewhat of an illegal dumpsite and homeless encampment. We removed @2,000lbs of trash today - which is the norm. Beautiful, if "cold" morning to be outside. It was 68 degrees at 9:00am, which is FREEZING here. Came home to get the laundry done then off to Costco and the gym. Still have to head to the regular grocery store tonight and meal prep. zzzzzz

Sat: Love/Hate workout. This is my favorite workout when my right shoulder is cooperating. It's been iffy for the past two months. Nothing serious or worsening, just pain when overhead pressing. So, I've to back off the weight a bit which was upsetting. Tonight it felt pretty good, so I went as hard as I could, but weight was still lighter than it was a few months ago. 2 steps forward...1 step back...sigh.

Military press: warmup sets followed by 5x5 @ 70, 75, 80, 80, 85

1x1 @90
    1x1 @95
    1x1 @ 100 - crap form but didn't cheat it up.

Just for funzies - Push Jerk: 1@ 105, 1@ 115, 1@120, 1@125, 1@130.

Hang Cleans (still trying to figure this one out): 1x12 @ 75, 1X10 @ 85, 1X8 @ 95, 1x5@ 100
    Super set: 4x 10 Hammer Strength seated shoulder press (45s) dumbbell lateral raises (15lb dumbbells)

Tri-Set: 3 sets Dumbbell snatches (25s, 5 reps each side) seated lateral raises (10s, 12 reps) Rear delt raises (20s, 10 reps)

Seated dumbbell press: 3x8 w/40s

Reverse Pec dec - 3x12 @ 65

20 minutes on the stairclimber.

Off to finish chores because tomorrow am I have a ladydate for dim sum.

Catch up post---
    Sunday, went for dim sum (Chinese New Year continued celebrations) during a RIDICULOUS storm. It was forecasted to be bad and it was - 50-60mph winds, trees down, power outages, and for us....crazy cold temps (low 60s)
    Lifted later in the evening. Gym was super peaceful and it was a great workout.

Sunday: Wanted to barbell incline but didn't feel like waiting for it, Incline dumbbell bench - 8 reps with 35s, 40s, 45s, 47s, 5 reps with 50s, 5 reps with 55s (PR=YAY)

Superset pushups (20) w/barbell curl (10 @ 50) x 4

Hammer Strength chest press - 4x8 w/40s

Superset shoulder raise - (20lb dumbbells) dumbbell hammer curls (25s) 10 x4

Superset Cable flies, cable curls (20lb) 10x3

Cardio- 20 minute stairclimber

Monday: sh@tty workout. Gym was PACKED. Too hard to do the workout planned- just did what I could and got out of the insanity.

Monday:
    Barbell back squats - warm up sets, 5x5 @ 150, 3x10 at 125
    Barbell front squats - 3x10 @ 115
    Good mornings - 3x10 @ 70
    Superset sumo squats (35lb plate) single leg deadlift (25lb) 4x12
    100 walking lunges w/50 barbell
    Hamstring curls - 3x10 @ 60

Ended workout there due to frustration with the crowd.
    Cardio - 20 minute treadmill incline walk, speed = 3.5, incline = 7.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Way to rampage the PR on the incline press! And farrrrrk on military press, you got me beat on that one for now, but I'm catching up quick bwah ha ha!
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Solid work in here!
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

Way to rampage the PR on the incline press! And farrrrrk on military press, you got me beat on that one for now, but I'm catching up quick bwah ha ha!
    It's my best lift =) Surfing for years has probably helped with back and shoulder strength. It's a "legs free" activity though, lol - hence my efforts to catch those up. I meant to reply in your log to one of your previous posts- I cannot fathom how you run after squatting and deadlifting ((((bows down to the queen)))

Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    Solid work in here!
    thank you for the love! I certainly appreciate it as you yourself are QUITE the solid worker!

Tuesday:
    8x8 barbell row at 95lb
    4x5 pullups, 4x5 chin-ups
    Superset - 4 x 10 Hammer Strength row (105lb) rear delt raises (20lb dumbbells)
    Cable row - 4x12 @ 85lbs
    Tri set - 4x12 dips, rope face pulls (80lb) tricep pulldowns (80)
    Dumbbell rows - 3x10 w/45s

Rack pulls - very, very light. Just testing the waters because a rack opened up. I haven't deadlifted or pulled from the floor for cleans or snatches since the stress fractures in my back. Mobility feels back to normal but I'm still treading lightly. 4x8 @ bar, 95lb, 105, 115, and 135. It felt fine and I felt fine the next day. I'll attempt them again next week and if all goes well I'll try some light deadlifts later in the month.

Wednesday: community meeting in the evening after work. Only had time for a quick cardio session. I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen in awhile so we did 45 minutes on the spin bike together and caught up. Best way to do cardio =)

Thursday: woke up SORE. Monday was a light leg workout due to the crowd and I didn't feel like my back workout was all that epic....yet my body said otherwise. Unfortunate because I had time for a morning (less crowded)gym session. It went "ok" but in a perfect world I'd have the place nearly to myself on a day that I felt 100%.

Military press - 5x5 @ 70, 75, 80, 80, 85

Push Jerk - 1 @ 95, 105, 115, 120, 125, 130, 135, and 140. I could have done more, but it was a day that I was in need of a coaching correction or some lifting cues. Once I get to a weight that I actually need to leg drive and duck under the bar, I start taking my legs out of the equation and end up pressing more and leg driving less. Some sort of #fearbasedlifting I guess. I caught myself doing it at 130 and it got worse from there so I stopped.

Hang Cleans - 1x12 @ 75, 1x10 @ 85, 1x8 @95, 1x5 @ 105

Super set: 4 x 12 Hammer Strength seated press (90) lateral raise (15s)

Super set: 3x10 leaning lateral raises (20s) rope face pulls (80)

Super set: 3x10 dumbbell snatches (30s) rear delt raises (20s)

3x20 Kettle bell swings (35lb)

Super set: 15 handstand pushups (wall assist) 25 medicine ball crunches 3 sets * this turned out to be a pretty bad idea as I have a lingering cold so it was more of a tri set with "nose blowing" as the exercise in between the handstands and the crunches

Handstand walks - 3 attempts, 10-20 steps a piece. *more nose blowing*

Cardio - 20 minute treadmill incline walk.

For some reason, this workout really exhausted me. I'm overdue for a rest day but it won't be tomorrow. I have Saturday planned as a rest day, but I've got three separate community activities that day, each involving a fair amount of physical work. Sunday might end up being a true rest day.

Double post day because I'd like input/opinions. My main goal for the next.....well, who knows, is strength. Depending on the lift, I'm about 75-maybe 85% of where I was prior to the stress fractures in my back. I'm making pretty good progress but it's not nearly as fast as I had originally envisioned. I lost some weight during the time frame that I was still injured and just lightly lifting. I also added more cardio (swimming) during that time and a whole heck of a lot of community stuff that involves light to moderate activity 1-3 times a week. I'm 5'5". Prior to the injury, my everyday weight was @145. Athletic looking, but not particularly lean. I dropped down to 135 during the injury time period, some of which I'm quite sure was muscle loss. Since going back to lifting in my usual manner, I've dropped down to 128-130. I do track calories (perhaps accurately perhaps not) and I've kept my daily calories the same throughout this entire time frame. I do think the community activity stuff is burning a bit more calories than I originally thought it would and perhaps I'm still re-adjusting to actually working with challenging weights. I am not experiencing hunger throughout the day like I NEED more calories but I can't imagine that I'll reach my previous numbers if I'm weighing @15lbs less than I previously did. That said, I don't think I lost 15lbs of muscle (cuz that's crazy). What to do? Stay the course and assume my body will adjust or increase calories? Weird to increase my calories as it's literally been years since I had to intentionally do that. Any opinions?

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would increase calories as you need to in order to progress. In other words, if you're progressing now, then I would maintain and when your lifts start to stall, then go into a small surplus.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

I'm all for bulking most of the year unless you're trying to make wt for something. I'd say bump up the calories a little bit even now and your lifts will take off. At 5'5" 145 would be excellent especially if you put on a fair amount of muscle on your way up to that.

Also that's massive volume for military press, 5x5 on all those, damn.
    Current PRs:

I'm all for bulking most of the year unless you're trying to make wt for something. I'd say bump up the calories a little bit even now and your lifts will take off. At 5'5" 145 would be excellent especially if you put on a fair amount of muscle on your way up to that.

Also that's massive volume for military press, 5x5 on all those, damn.
    Originally Posted by Partyrocking View Post
    I would increase calories as you need to in order to progress. In other words, if you're progressing now, then I would maintain and when your lifts start to stall, then go into a small surplus.
    Thanks for the input ladies! I guess I should note that I have not truly stalled on my lifts yet - I am still making progress, I'm just not back to where I was. That said, I've decided to add in 200 additional calories/day. Assuming I'm tracking correctly, (which is a large assumption I admit) that will nudge me up to about 2100-2200/day. I'll see how I feel and I'll go from there. I'm not chasing leanness and I know that taste is individual, but I personally prefer the way I look when I'm a bit bigger. After this past weekend, I've also decided that I do need to be better about taking an actual rest day. I work full time and I volunteer about 10-15 hours/week. A lot of the volunteer activity involves stuff I enjoy- but it's mostly beach and park cleanups, which is about 2-3 hours of moderate activity per session. This long weekend, I ending up doing a LOT of said volunteer activity plus the gym, and I'm pretty worn out. That's probably a larger component of my recovery and progress than I've realized. Since I last logged, I've trained chest, back, and legs. Nothing truly remarkable to note other than: for some reason, chin-ups are a heck of a lot harder for me than pullups and I need to google why that might be, and I did hit a "mini PR" on back squats. I had a spotter Monday night, so I managed 3@175, 3@180, 3@185, 2@190, and 2@195. 1 attempt @200 - needed the spotter, but I hadn't programmed my rep range correctly to really shoot for a one rep max PR, so I'm quite happy with the triples. Tonight, crowd dependent, I'm planning on mostly focusing on push-press, some kettlebell swings, and some light cardio. Tomorrow will be an active recovery day, and then I'll jump back in where I left off.

Hobbes: Military press- my shoulders can handle a good amount of volume, which is amazing considering the beating that they've taken over the years. I surf and I think that offers a bit of a cross training opportunity. I'm coming for your OHP @100X4 =) That is GOALS!