HumanPilot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HumanPilot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New To Forum - Need Some serious Help

Hey everyone,

New to the forums here. I posted my first post in the Nutrition area but just saw this thread and thought i'd post an image like it suggest and give you all a feel for what i'm up against here.

I'm 32 years old. Work a desk job like most people, and do a 3 day split working out on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Typical work out consisting of Chest and Tries Monday, Back an Biceps Wednesday, and Legs, Shoulders, and Chest again on Friday. I've been on and off of the gym for most of my life. Was very active as a young kid and through out high school/college. Played a lot of sports and kept very active. I was also told I was very lucky to have such a high metabolism and i've always been able to eat whatever I want without gaining a pound.

Fast forward to today, and i've noticed some progress but no where near my goals after starting a pretty steady weight training regiment last June. Basically, I weigh'd about 130-135 lbs when i first started and today I'm at fluctuating at 150 -154 lbs. I've uploaded a picture. Photo on the left is me on vacation back in 2017 and the photo on the right is as of a few days ago.

As you can see, not really a whole lot of change. Surely by now, after 8 months of weight training i should have noticed some change? I know my strength is up as i'm lifting heavier weights but i'm not seeing any development in muscle size or definition. Chest isn't growing, arms aren't growing.... I feel like i'm working out for nothing and look exactly as I did when I wasn't working out (as you can tell by the photo).

Anyways, i think i have my diet pretty in check. I revamped it from the last diet i had. I've been using my fitness pal and making sure to eat healthy. Day of eating looks something like this:

Morning Shake or Post workout shake
    - 2 scoops Whey
    - 1 cup almond milk
    - 2 tblsp dark chocolate chips
    - 1 tbsp cinamon
    - 1 banana

Breakfast
    - 3 whole eggs
    - 1 cup lean ground beef

Snack
    - 1/2 cup oats
    - 1/3 cup greek yogurt 0% fat
    - 1/3 cup blueberries

Lunch
    - 8oz chicken breast
    - 200g greek salad quinoa

After Lunch Snack
    - Turkey breast sandwich with mayo and cheese

Pre workout snack
    - larabar
    - 1/3 cup mixed nuts

Diet is around 2600 calories and getting 225g of protein, 202g of carbs, and around 105g of fat.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I am desperate and have no idea what to do. I'm taking burn pre workout and GNC creatine monohydrate before each workout. I know more calories will be the answer but I feel like i'm over eating. If anyone has a program, or plan that will help me reach my goal i'm all ears. Almost ready to dive into the junk food i've been craving and just call it quits.
    Attached Images

TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by HumanPilot View Post
    Hey everyone,

New to the forums here. I posted my first post in the Nutrition area but just saw this thread and thought i'd post an image like it suggest and give you all a feel for what i'm up against here.

I'm 32 years old. Work a desk job like most people, and do a 3 day split working out on Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Typical work out consisting of Chest and Tries Monday, Back an Biceps Wednesday, and Legs, Shoulders, and Chest again on Friday. I've been on and off of the gym for most of my life. Was very active as a young kid and through out high school/college. Played a lot of sports and kept very active. I was also told I was very lucky to have such a high metabolism and i've always been able to eat whatever I want without gaining a pound.

Fast forward to today, and i've noticed some progress but no where near my goals after starting a pretty steady weight training regiment last June. Basically, I weigh'd about 130-135 lbs when i first started and today I'm at fluctuating at 150 -154 lbs. I've uploaded a picture. Photo on the left is me on vacation back in 2017 and the photo on the right is as of a few days ago.

As you can see, not really a whole lot of change. Surely by now, after 8 months of weight training i should have noticed some change? I know my strength is up as i'm lifting heavier weights but i'm not seeing any development in muscle size or definition. Chest isn't growing, arms aren't growing.... I feel like i'm working out for nothing and look exactly as I did when I wasn't working out (as you can tell by the photo).

Anyways, i think i have my diet pretty in check. I revamped it from the last diet i had. I've been using my fitness pal and making sure to eat healthy. Day of eating looks something like this:

- 2 scoops Whey
    - 1 cup almond milk
    - 1 tbsp cinamon
    - 1 banana

Breakfast
    - 3 whole eggs
    - 1 cup lean ground beef

Snack
    - 1/2 cup oats
    - 1/3 cup blueberries

Lunch
    - 8oz chicken breast

After Lunch Snack

Pre workout snack
    - larabar
    - 1/3 cup mixed nuts

Diet is around 2600 calories and getting 225g of protein, 202g of carbs, and around 105g of fat.

PLEASE HELP!!!

I am desperate and have no idea what to do. I'm taking burn pre workout and GNC creatine monohydrate before each workout. I know more calories will be the answer but I feel like i'm over eating. If anyone has a program, or plan that will help me reach my goal i'm all ears. Almost ready to dive into the junk food i've been craving and just call it quits.
    How long have you been eating this way? My guess is that your body has adapted to the way you are eating. For starters 202g of carbs a day really isn't enough to stimulate muscle growth. Depending on how active you are a good rule of thumb is anywhere from 2g per body weight to 4.5g. I would up your carbs to around 2-2.5g and see if that helps. Make sure they are good carbs though. If you are trying to stay lean during the process it is harder to see the results as well. If you started at 130 and you're up to 150 now, I'd say that is pretty good progress. Good luck!

HumanPilot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HumanPilot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TrainBeastMode View Post
    How long have you been eating this way? My guess is that your body has adapted to the way you are eating. For starters 202g of carbs a day really isn't enough to stimulate muscle growth. Depending on how active you are a good rule of thumb is anywhere from 2g per body weight to 4.5g. I would up your carbs to around 2-2.5g and see if that helps. Make sure they are good carbs though. If you are trying to stay lean during the process it is harder to see the results as well. If you started at 130 and you're up to 150 now, I'd say that is pretty good progress. Good luck!
    I just revamped my diet so this past week was the first week after shopping and meal prepping last weekend. I was on a different diet before but consisted of pretty similar stuff. Chicken, veggies... this meal plan is actually feeling a lot better. Not feeling overly full but can manage all the meals no problem. I am full after it all though and don't really feel like eating anything after. I don't know why but my appetite isn't on par... like right now i'm trying to eat the oats and berries with yogurt and feels like a chore.

so should i just add a cup of rice or something to my current meal plan? I don't really like rice so would adding some baked sweet potatoes do the trick?

I know i gained some weight but it doesn't feel like muscle mass. I feel bloated and like my gains were fat... I dunno, i'm just lacking the results i'm looking for and it seems like no matter what i try it's not working.

How do I reach my goals?? Should i be cutting? I'm 5'8" sitting at 150... My train of thought was to try and bulk to 160 then cut.
    Last edited by HumanPilot; 02-01-2019 at 07:51 AM.

TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TrainBeastMode has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It does get boring eating the same thing day in and day out. You’re taste buds really do become numb to just about everything. For me, it felt like I was eating just because I had to, not for enjoyment. Try to give yourself a day once a week or so to have a refeed day where you can eat what you want and not feel guilty. I know mentally it’s hard to let yourself do that, but you’ll feel better in the long run. Plus, it breaks up the monotony of eating the same thing.

I don’t think 1 sweet potato a day is enough, but yes, that would be a good source. There are plenty of good sources of carbs out there.

Based on your pics, I wouldn’t say you gained that much fat. You may need a change of routine in the gym to get you over the hump as well. If you have the time, I would break down the muscle groups and hit one a day, chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs. Then you can really focus on getting the muscle to exhaustion and really breaking it down. I recently started a new routine called 5x5. Google Men’s Health, Lift by the Rule of 5. The basics is lifting as much weight as you can 5 times with good form for 5 sets. It applies to most everything. Give it a read and see if it’s something that would work for you. Keep at it man, don’t give up.

Also, no you shouldn’t be cutting if you’re trying to add mass. Cutting while adding size is very difficult and takes a very dialed in meal plan. Wait until you feel like you’ve added the size you want and then cut if you so choose.

It does get boring eating the same thing day in and day out. You’re taste buds really do become numb to just about everything. For me, it felt like I was eating just because I had to, not for enjoyment. Try to give yourself a day once a week or so to have a refeed day where you can eat what you want and not feel guilty. I know mentally it’s hard to let yourself do that, but you’ll feel better in the long run. Plus, it breaks up the monotony of eating the same thing.

I don’t think 1 sweet potato a day is enough, but yes, that would be a good source. There are plenty of good sources of carbs out there.

Based on your pics, I wouldn’t say you gained that much fat. You may need a change of routine in the gym to get you over the hump as well. If you have the time, I would break down the muscle groups and hit one a day, chest, back, arms, shoulders, legs. Then you can really focus on getting the muscle to exhaustion and really breaking it down. I recently started a new routine called 5x5. Google Men’s Health, Lift by the Rule of 5. The basics is lifting as much weight as you can 5 times with good form for 5 sets. It applies to most everything. Give it a read and see if it’s something that would work for you. Keep at it man, don’t give up.

Also, no you shouldn’t be cutting if you’re trying to add mass. Cutting while adding size is very difficult and takes a very dialed in meal plan. Wait until you feel like you’ve added the size you want and then cut if you so choose.
    Yeah the eating really does feel like i'm doing it in the same way i do my job! haha... To be honest though, I actually don't mind the food i'm eating. some of it is bland but i like knowing what i need to get from the grocery store each week and not have to think to much about restructuring the food i'm eating interms of calories and macros. The greek salad quinoa is actually really good!

As far as one muscle group per day do you mean like:

Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Tries
    Wednsday - Back
    Thursday - Biceps
    Friday - Legs
    Saturday - Shoulders

?????

I have heard of the 5x5 program. Actually though about starting it because I am realizing i'm bored of my current routine. I don't feel the pump anymore or the soreness i used to get. I think in the last two weeks, i've had one good work out where I felt accomplished. The rest feels like i'm forcing it.

Man... Plateau's F'in suck!!!

Any other advice would be great. Really want to figure this out.

Yeah the eating really does feel like i'm doing it in the same way i do my job! haha... To be honest though, I actually don't mind the food i'm eating. some of it is bland but i like knowing what i need to get from the grocery store each week and not have to think to much about restructuring the food i'm eating interms of calories and macros. The greek salad quinoa is actually really good!

As far as one muscle group per day do you mean like:

Monday - Chest
    Tuesday - Tries
    Wednsday - Back
    Thursday - Biceps
    Friday - Legs
    Saturday - Shoulders

?????

I have heard of the 5x5 program. Actually though about starting it because I am realizing i'm bored of my current routine. I don't feel the pump anymore or the soreness i used to get. I think in the last two weeks, i've had one good work out where I felt accomplished. The rest feels like i'm forcing it.

Man... Plateau's F'in suck!!!

Any other advice would be great. Really want to figure this out.
    Sorry for the late reply, but been away for the weekend. I don't think you need to break it down between biceps and triceps. I think those can be done together. If you combine those, the rest of the week looks good. I would do a rotation of those 5 days and see if you can work in the 5x5 workout with them. I've been doing it for about a month now and before the 5x5 I hadn't had a sore chest or back workout for quite some time. Since I started the 5x5, my workouts have improved greatly and I've been sore almost every workout (with the exception of legs which are sore EVERY workout.) I think it's helped me get over my mini plateau.

I feel you on the food. I can eat the same thing 7 days a week if I had to (which I usually do when prepping for a show.) It's not fun, but I use different sauces and seasonings to mix it up. Try the 5x5 workout for a month or so and add another 100-150g carbs to your meal plan and hopefully you'll get over your plateau and start to see some good results.

Sorry for the late reply, but been away for the weekend. I don't think you need to break it down between biceps and triceps. I think those can be done together. If you combine those, the rest of the week looks good. I would do a rotation of those 5 days and see if you can work in the 5x5 workout with them. I've been doing it for about a month now and before the 5x5 I hadn't had a sore chest or back workout for quite some time. Since I started the 5x5, my workouts have improved greatly and I've been sore almost every workout (with the exception of legs which are sore EVERY workout.) I think it's helped me get over my mini plateau.

I feel you on the food. I can eat the same thing 7 days a week if I had to (which I usually do when prepping for a show.) It's not fun, but I use different sauces and seasonings to mix it up. Try the 5x5 workout for a month or so and add another 100-150g carbs to your meal plan and hopefully you'll get over your plateau and start to see some good results.
    Hey man. No worries about the delay. I'm just happy you are taking the time to respond and provide feedback. 404 views of this post and you are the only person so far who cares to help out.

Doing 5 days in a row is a bit tough for me. That's why i've stuck to the 3 day split, but I did decide to take this week off and take your recommendation after the weekend to start the 5x5 program. I think i'm going to do this one: h t t p s : / / w w w . b o d y b u i l d i n g . c o m / f u n / s c l a r k 7 0 . h t m (sorry for the spaces, the forums won't allow me to post links yet....haha)

as for the extra carbs, going to probably start adding in a bagel in the morning with cream cheese and then some sort of whole wheat pasta as a post workout meal. I think that should be enough no?

I've adjusted my macros to accomodate the extra 100 g so this is what it looks like now:

Carbs 293g
    Protein 163g
    Fat 87g

Is my fat too low? Now that i look at my macros, my protein was quite high considering I should be taking 1g of protein per 1lbs of body lbs of weight. Looks like i'm right where I needto be for the 160lbs goal i'm after.
    Last edited by HumanPilot; 02-07-2019 at 08:17 AM.

UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) UACK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just a question, are your workouts and lifting routine more geared towards strength training, or hypertrophy training? This is the only real thing that comes to mind on top of what has been said. If your lifts are up but the muscle definition isnt, maybe youre a little sideways on your approach? Either way you look good man, good luck

Originally Posted by UACK7 View Post
    Just a question, are your workouts and lifting routine more geared towards strength training, or hypertrophy training? This is the only real thing that comes to mind on top of what has been said. If your lifts are up but the muscle definition isnt, maybe youre a little sideways on your approach? Either way you look good man, good luck
    Well, isn't muscle growth a by product of strength?

I am trying to bulk up. DOn't want to be like arnold huge but I want to be a bit more "thick" in my arms and shoulders and build out my chest a bit more. I'm training with the intention of increasing my lifting weight as I gain strength but I really don't know.... Maybe i'm doing it wrong?

I've heard that it's not always good to be focusing on more weight then it is with sticking to a weight that is somewhat challenging and focusing on form... Whatever i'm doing seems to have worked for the last 7-8 months but i'm at the point where i need to up my game and finding it difficult to break through.

Thanks for the kind comments and any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Hey man. No worries about the delay. I'm just happy you are taking the time to respond and provide feedback. 404 views of this post and you are the only person so far who cares to help out.

Doing 5 days in a row is a bit tough for me. That's why i've stuck to the 3 day split, but I did decide to take this week off and take your recommendation after the weekend to start the 5x5 program. I think i'm going to do this one: h t t p s : / / w w w . b o d y b u i l d i n g . c o m / f u n / s c l a r k 7 0 . h t m (sorry for the spaces, the forums won't allow me to post links yet....haha)

as for the extra carbs, going to probably start adding in a bagel in the morning with cream cheese and then some sort of whole wheat pasta as a post workout meal. I think that should be enough no?

I've adjusted my macros to accomodate the extra 100 g so this is what it looks like now:

Carbs 293g
    Protein 163g
    Fat 87g

Is my fat too low? Now that i look at my macros, my protein was quite high considering I should be taking 1g of protein per 1lbs of body lbs of weight. Looks like i'm right where I needto be for the 160lbs goal i'm after.
    I think what you have added is a good start. I would see how your body reacts to the new meal plan for a few weeks and see how it goes. If you aren't seeing the results you're looking for after a solid month or so, I would add some more carbs and protein. Don't be scared of adding either one. As long as you aren't overdoing it with the protein, a little extra won't hurt. Same goes for carbs. I used to think you needed 2g per lb, but soon realized after some research that it's not really that good for you and your body just pisses out any extra you aren't using. For a guy my size (I'm sitting at around 102kg right now and sorta fluffy,) that's around 428g of protein in a day. There's no way I'm active enough, even with my gym workouts to use that much. I think I'm eating around 1.25g per pound or slightly more right now. I say that because I'm not tracking anything right now until I start show prep in April (Hence the fluffiness.) I think your fat is probably right on the money for a guy your size. Give this routine a shot for a while and see how it works out for you. If you have any more thoughts or ideas, don't be afraid to send me a private message. I still check this on occasion and help where I can. I hope you can reach your goal mate.

I think what you have added is a good start. I would see how your body reacts to the new meal plan for a few weeks and see how it goes. If you aren't seeing the results you're looking for after a solid month or so, I would add some more carbs and protein. Don't be scared of adding either one. As long as you aren't overdoing it with the protein, a little extra won't hurt. Same goes for carbs. I used to think you needed 2g per lb, but soon realized after some research that it's not really that good for you and your body just pisses out any extra you aren't using. For a guy my size (I'm sitting at around 102kg right now and sorta fluffy,) that's around 428g of protein in a day. There's no way I'm active enough, even with my gym workouts to use that much. I think I'm eating around 1.25g per pound or slightly more right now. I say that because I'm not tracking anything right now until I start show prep in April (Hence the fluffiness.) I think your fat is probably right on the money for a guy your size. Give this routine a shot for a while and see how it works out for you. If you have any more thoughts or ideas, don't be afraid to send me a private message. I still check this on occasion and help where I can. I hope you can reach your goal mate.
    Hey man no worries. I check this as soon as I can as well, but again, look forward to your responses and sharing my progress. I'll be posting updates.

That's a good idea. I am grocery shopping today and will be prepping some stuff tomorrow so back to the gym as of monday. I'm going to try an increase my resst as well. I've been finding it very difficult to get to sleep early and I have to be up around 6-6:30 to get breakfast ready. I've been missing breakfast lately to sleep.

Have you ever tried intermittent fasting? Would that be something worth trying out on this 5x5 program? I've also been noticing my stomach is bloating quite a bit...wondering if it could be my food.

I'm not active enough either. I work at a desk job so i'm sitting most of the day. Try to walk around as much as I can but the reality of my schedule is wake up drive to work, sit at work, drive home, go to gym (or on off days watch netflix/do a hobby) then bed. lol

Anyway going to stick this out and see what happens this week. I was binge eating this week and gave into some cravings....felt like a slob and was beating myself up but determined to get to my goals.

Hey man no worries. I check this as soon as I can as well, but again, look forward to your responses and sharing my progress. I'll be posting updates.

That's a good idea. I am grocery shopping today and will be prepping some stuff tomorrow so back to the gym as of monday. I'm going to try an increase my resst as well. I've been finding it very difficult to get to sleep early and I have to be up around 6-6:30 to get breakfast ready. I've been missing breakfast lately to sleep.

Have you ever tried intermittent fasting? Would that be something worth trying out on this 5x5 program? I've also been noticing my stomach is bloating quite a bit...wondering if it could be my food.

I'm not active enough either. I work at a desk job so i'm sitting most of the day. Try to walk around as much as I can but the reality of my schedule is wake up drive to work, sit at work, drive home, go to gym (or on off days watch netflix/do a hobby) then bed. lol

Anyway going to stick this out and see what happens this week. I was binge eating this week and gave into some cravings....felt like a slob and was beating myself up but determined to get to my goals.
    I have never tried intermittent fasting. I think if you are trying to add size, it would be counter productive for your needs. Intermittent fasting is something I've only heard for people trying to lose weight, not add muscle.

My job and routine is pretty much the same. I have a desk job as well most of the time. There are days when I'm not, but I'd say 75% of my job is at a desk at the moment.

I wouldn't try the intermittent fasting while trying to add size. Your body needs constant fuel to add muscle and you're starving your body of that fuel for a good 12 hours or so of the day by fasting.

I have never tried intermittent fasting. I think if you are trying to add size, it would be counter productive for your needs. Intermittent fasting is something I've only heard for people trying to lose weight, not add muscle.

My job and routine is pretty much the same. I have a desk job as well most of the time. There are days when I'm not, but I'd say 75% of my job is at a desk at the moment.

I wouldn't try the intermittent fasting while trying to add size. Your body needs constant fuel to add muscle and you're starving your body of that fuel for a good 12 hours or so of the day by fasting.
    Yeah i heard of some greek warrior program where intermittent fasting is used to build muscle. Sounds like all of these work out regimes though are a waste of time and basic tried and tested eating and working out routines are the way to go.

I was suppose to start back up this week but i'm still not feeling 100%. Sleep is an issue and the cold is really keeping me unmotivated. I didn't get to do my shopping either so behind on meal prep. I did do 100 push ups on Saturday though and feeling it now. Ate like crap again yesterday too (dominos).

I'm aching to get back to hit but i'm just beat at the moment. Would it be a bad idea to take another week off? I try to be in bed by 10 but i am exhausted when i wake up at 6. I think the big thing is rest at this point. I was finding that my work outs were loacking because I was tired when i got to the gym.

Also, my creatine monohydrate....when should i take that?

Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Jrich54338 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Crush Carbs. Moderate Protein. Just enough Fat.

As soon as I started pumping the carbs my body adapted in a hurry
    "You Must Show No Mercy..Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you.. For your greatness will silence them all"

Instagram @allbusinessfitness

http://www.youtube.com/user/JoeRichBuffalo

Originally Posted by Jrich54338 View Post
    Crush Carbs. Moderate Protein. Just enough Fat.

As soon as I started pumping the carbs my body adapted in a hurry
    Do you think my diet could use some work then? Have a sample of a day of eating with a good carb load?

I feel like i'm shooting in the dark with a blind fold here....

Yeah i heard of some greek warrior program where intermittent fasting is used to build muscle. Sounds like all of these work out regimes though are a waste of time and basic tried and tested eating and working out routines are the way to go.

I was suppose to start back up this week but i'm still not feeling 100%. Sleep is an issue and the cold is really keeping me unmotivated. I didn't get to do my shopping either so behind on meal prep. I did do 100 push ups on Saturday though and feeling it now. Ate like crap again yesterday too (dominos).

I'm aching to get back to hit but i'm just beat at the moment. Would it be a bad idea to take another week off? I try to be in bed by 10 but i am exhausted when i wake up at 6. I think the big thing is rest at this point. I was finding that my work outs were loacking because I was tired when i got to the gym.

Also, my creatine monohydrate....when should i take that?
    Sleep also plays a role in your muscles growing as well. If you aren't getting enough sleep, your body doesn't have time to heal itself. I can't say whether taking a week of from the gym would be a good idea or not. I've never had more than 4-5 consecutive days off in the gym in probably over 8 or 9 years. Your body is obviously trying to tell you something that it needs rest if your workouts are lacking. Creatine is a personal preference as to when you want to take it. Some people will say before, others will say during. I've also heard after. I used to do both at one point. Are you taking a pre-workout? Most pre-workouts already have a significant amount of creatine in them. You don't really need to add anymore than what's already in a pre-workout. I would say, see what works best for you when it comes to creatine. There's really no right or wrong time to take it.

Sleep also plays a role in your muscles growing as well. If you aren't getting enough sleep, your body doesn't have time to heal itself. I can't say whether taking a week of from the gym would be a good idea or not. I've never had more than 4-5 consecutive days off in the gym in probably over 8 or 9 years. Your body is obviously trying to tell you something that it needs rest if your workouts are lacking. Creatine is a personal preference as to when you want to take it. Some people will say before, others will say during. I've also heard after. I used to do both at one point. Are you taking a pre-workout? Most pre-workouts already have a significant amount of creatine in them. You don't really need to add anymore than what's already in a pre-workout. I would say, see what works best for you when it comes to creatine. There's really no right or wrong time to take it.
    I realized my sleep was off when I was having difficulty getting energy in the gym. I started calling it quits at around 9 pm now instead of 11 or 12. I'm in bed by 9:45 now and started listening to a deep relaxation meditation audio book which knocks me right out. I started this week and just this week alone i'm already feeling better. Getting to work a half hour earlier then I usually do, making sure i'm leaving the house right at 7:30 and even taking a shower in the morning to wake myself up. I feel refreshed and energized. Just need to learn to get up when the alarm goes off and not snooze.

I think i'm ready to go next week with a whole knew program and new plan of attack. Going to make sure everything is ready for meals this weekend (finally have a weekend where I don't need to run back to my hometown to tend to my rental property) so going to ensure i get everything I need.

Monday is the start of a 2 month transformation. I leave for Jamaica on the 30th so hoping to see some more results by then. If i can get to 155-160 in 2 months, i'll be happy... just worried i've taken too much time off

Keep you posted on my first day with the new 5x5 you recommended. I think it's going to help!

So started the 5x5 program this week. Yesterday was the first day. Did:

- Front Squats
    - Bent Over Barbell Row
    - Bench Press
    - Dumbell Press
    - Dips

After yesterdays calorie count i ended up eating 3651 calories!!! Most i've eaten thus far and definietly was hungry. I loaded up on pasta with meat sauce as a post work out meal. I'm feeling tired today, and the pain is seeping in from the work out but overall i feel great to be back. This is perfect timing for me to start this at it requires 9 weeks to complete the program. I leave for Jamaica on the 30th so should be set to go.

I weighed myself this morning and still at 150, obviously not going to gain weight over night but i have my starting weight and hoping to see how well this program ads on the muscle. One thing I am lackin is a protein shake. Think I will ad it in this week as a morning calorie adder since i'm finding it hard to get breakfast ready in time.

For the work outs, i started with a warm up set for each one, wasn't quite sure what weight i could manage for 5 sets of 5 reps so started light and added as I went until i felt comfortable. I may have done one or two more sets then I should have but it was my first day back.

So far i'm liking the simplicity of this program. 3 work outs with the option to add in abs and an isolation exercise. I feel like my lower body is lacking so this will hopefully get me past the 150 mark... Hardest thing is just figuring out the diet and what foods i need to get me growing again.

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

- Front Squats
    - Bent Over Barbell Row
    - Bench Press
    - Dumbell Press
    - Dips

After yesterdays calorie count i ended up eating 3651 calories!!! Most i've eaten thus far and definietly was hungry. I loaded up on pasta with meat sauce as a post work out meal. I'm feeling tired today, and the pain is seeping in from the work out but overall i feel great to be back. This is perfect timing for me to start this at it requires 9 weeks to complete the program. I leave for Jamaica on the 30th so should be set to go.

I weighed myself this morning and still at 150, obviously not going to gain weight over night but i have my starting weight and hoping to see how well this program ads on the muscle. One thing I am lackin is a protein shake. Think I will ad it in this week as a morning calorie adder since i'm finding it hard to get breakfast ready in time.

For the work outs, i started with a warm up set for each one, wasn't quite sure what weight i could manage for 5 sets of 5 reps so started light and added as I went until i felt comfortable. I may have done one or two more sets then I should have but it was my first day back.

So far i'm liking the simplicity of this program. 3 work outs with the option to add in abs and an isolation exercise. I feel like my lower body is lacking so this will hopefully get me past the 150 mark... Hardest thing is just figuring out the diet and what foods i need to get me growing again.
    Protein shake isn't needed unless the vast majority of those calories you ate were carbs and fats
    “Other gyms use machines… CrossFit builds them”

- Front Squats
    - Bent Over Barbell Row
    - Bench Press
    - Dumbell Press
    - Dips

It took me a few weeks to figure out my weights for the 5x5 program as well. I think I am at the point where I've started to add more since I began. Sounds like you are getting back on track. I'm sure you will stick with it. Keep up with the sleep too man. It's amazing how much it plays into your overall energy for the day and at the gym. Keep it up.

FriendsAndGlam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey everyone,

- 2 scoops Whey
    - 1 cup almond milk
    - 1 tbsp cinamon
    - 1 banana

Breakfast
    - 3 whole eggs
    - 1 cup lean ground beef

Snack
    - 1/2 cup oats
    - 1/3 cup blueberries

Lunch
    - 8oz chicken breast

After Lunch Snack

Pre workout snack
    - larabar
    - 1/3 cup mixed nuts

PLEASE HELP!!!

You seem like your stuck in a crossroad. Here is something to consider.

"I am desperate and have no idea what to do. I'm taking burn pre workout and GNC creatine monohydrate before each workout. I know more calories will be the answer but I feel like i'm over eating. If anyone has a program, or plan that will help me reach my goal i'm all ears. Almost ready to dive into the junk food i've been craving and just call it quits."

To my consensus , you're telling yourself "You know more calories will be the answer, but you also feel like your over eating".

This is a contradiction in thought. And from this I want to tell you that, YOU are eating too much. Trust in yourself, that gut feeling because you are over eating.

It seems you have written this post with huge intent and feeling so I'm telling you, trust in yourself. If you feel like your nuking your stomach with everything you can think of then it means to allow the body to be put on reserve. You don't need to eat so much because...

From your lack of forearms I can tell you have a 70 percent ectomorphic body type because of the way it looks. Once you reach a age your metabolism stops, and it means thats probably why you can't tell the difference between your very first results after going to the gym and what you have now, and because of having a work life and priorities getting in the way you weren't able to get to your desired physique, in conclusion you almost have the ideal physique, just stop eating.

Originally Posted by Vandeman17 View Post
    Protein shake isn't needed unless the vast majority of those calories you ate were carbs and fats
    I am trying out the rivalus clean gainer for this training. I haven't been able to get the excess calories i needed but one of these shakes gives me an etra 560 when I need it. I know it's better to eat food but I just don't have time to cook every night/day and if i don't meal prep on the weekend (which wasn't possible this weekend) i'm screwed for food. For example, today i have to scurry around to figure out what i'm going to eat to meet my needs. I've been averaging about 2800-3500 calories and still no noticable gains. Mind you, it's only been a week since i've been back in the gym so i'll have to wait and see.

It took me a few weeks to figure out my weights for the 5x5 program as well. I think I am at the point where I've started to add more since I began. Sounds like you are getting back on track. I'm sure you will stick with it. Keep up with the sleep too man. It's amazing how much it plays into your overall energy for the day and at the gym. Keep it up.
    yeah i've been starting with a weight and adding on each rep just to see how much I can handle. I think I have a good idea now for this week but want to make sure i'm really pushing myself. I was in pain last week but I didn't feel pumped. I really hope this program does something for me because i'm losing hope....

Originally Posted by FriendsAndGlam View Post
    You seem like your stuck in a crossroad. Here is something to consider.

"I am desperate and have no idea what to do. I'm taking burn pre workout and GNC creatine monohydrate before each workout. I know more calories will be the answer but I feel like i'm over eating. If anyone has a program, or plan that will help me reach my goal i'm all ears. Almost ready to dive into the junk food i've been craving and just call it quits."

To my consensus , you're telling yourself "You know more calories will be the answer, but you also feel like your over eating".

This is a contradiction in thought. And from this I want to tell you that, YOU are eating too much. Trust in yourself, that gut feeling because you are over eating.

It seems you have written this post with huge intent and feeling so I'm telling you, trust in yourself. If you feel like your nuking your stomach with everything you can think of then it means to allow the body to be put on reserve. You don't need to eat so much because...

From your lack of forearms I can tell you have a 70 percent ectomorphic body type because of the way it looks. Once you reach a age your metabolism stops, and it means thats probably why you can't tell the difference between your very first results after going to the gym and what you have now, and because of having a work life and priorities getting in the way you weren't able to get to your desired physique, in conclusion you almost have the ideal physique, just stop eating.
    But as an ectomoprhic body type, shouldn't I be EATING MORE as all the charts suggest? Technically the statement you made that says "I am eating too much" is contradicting your findings that i'm an ectomorphic body type.

Not trying to start a debate as I'm open to any and all suggestions because i feel like i'm going to the gym and wasting my time. I do appreciate your point of view. Are you dealing or have you dealt with a similar scenerio as me?

Also, I wouldn't say my metabolism stops. As stated, i'm eating quite a bit... more then I've ever eaten before yet I'm stuck at 150lbs. Surely if my metabolism stopped, i'd be gaining weiht no problem. Problem is packing on the muscle and definition I want so hence the title of this post.... It's been almost a year now and i've hit a pretty big plateau .

I added the body type after taking the bodybuilding test. obviously it's an estimate...not sure i answered all correctly but looks like i'm stuck in a contradicting situation!!!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by HumanPilot; 03-04-2019 at 08:12 AM.