JacketSnatcher is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Post The Ultimate Linear Push Pull Program

Hello, welcome to the ultimate linear push pull program. This is a program designed for beginners to intermediate lifters, as it is based around linear periodization. Linear periodization is optimal for beginners and even some intermediate lifters, because it is simple to understand and does not force unnecessary stress and complexity where and when not needed. As a beginner you have much muscle to to build and do not have to do a highly advanced and extreme program to obtain them. These gains are like low hanging fruit. Why do a complex program to obtain these noob gains?

<<Why Push Pull?
    This program is push pull. Through training experience I have found this to be one of the best program arrangements. I like push pull for two reasons: it hits every body part twice a week and give a decent pump. It has been proven that twice weekly frequency per body part is superior to singular frequency. This is because of the nature of protein synthesis. Protein synthesis is maximised for 36-48 hours after training. After this two day period the muscle is mostly repaired and ready to go again. The program had to hit each body part twice a week.

Secondly, this may sound rather bro-like, but getting a decent pump feels good. It may not be 100% backed by science, but if it keeps you engaged in your workouts it is invaluable. In other systems like upper lower and full body it can be hard to get a pump and PPL splits have the user going to the gym six days a week. I wanted a program that had the best of both worlds, hence the use of PP. This program delivers twice weekly frequency and a good pump in the gym!

<<How the Program is Structured.
    The program is based around linear progression of the big six movements: squat, bench press, deadlift, overhead press, weighted chin-up, and Pendlay row. These are the primary movements. Each day has two, one leg and one upper body. Next are the secondary movements. These are movements that put the person at a mechanical disadvantage. You should pick ones that strengthen your weaknesses. IE. a lifter who is poor off the ground in deadlifts should choose a pause deadlift or deficit deadlift. Each microcycle, the secondary lifts are changed. Last are the tertiary movements. These are isolation movements and deliver a nice pump and targeted strength in one area. These are done via RPE as there is no sense in getting a 1rm bicep curl. The program has the lifter testing new 1rms every four weeks, similar to 5/3/1. The process repeats, until there are massive plateaus, in this case, switch programs to expose the muscles to a new training stimulus.

The underlying philosophy is based around novel training stimulus mixed with training specificity. In weightlifting, there are generally two camps: the Russian and the Bulgarian camp. The Russian camp is centered around novel stimulus. Many rep ranges and lift variants are used to not allow the body to adapt to training. This is similar to how a DUP works. The other is the Bulgarian camp, who believe in extreme training specificity. The Bulgarian system says to get better at squat, do squats. Both systems have ups and downs, I did my best to combine both with specificity (Hitting each lift 1x per week and leg movements 2x) and novelty (Secondary movements which are changed each microcycle).
    Attached Files