RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Newbie Looking For Advice!

Hey guys! I've browsed this forum for a while now, and want to really get serious about the gym and my nutrition. Overall, I just don't like the way my body looks, and I've come to the realization that I should do something about it instead of just complaining about it. Im 21 5'9" and about 140 lbs. Ive always been relatively skinny my whole life, but have recently started adding a layer of fat around my face and midsection. I think this is more so just from inactivity as opposed to my diet as I eat relatively little. I used to drink a lot of soda, but started drinking mainly water about a month or so ago. I've found myself to be extremely tired after classes recently, and I figured maybe adding exercise into my routine would help give me a little more energy. I've been trying to work on a plan for a while now, and here is what I have so far.

Nutrition:
    For nutrition I honestly don't know that much about it, Im trying to stay around 2,500 calories per day, but most days I fall pretty short of that with the meal plan I just put together. Im trying to mainly stick to foods that are high in protein and thats really what Im most worried about. Im not paying very much close attention to the other nutritional aspects. Is this a good way of thinking about it? If i need to i can post some pictures of the current plan I have in myfitnesspal. If you think that would be helpful information. Back to protein, I'm focusing on getting around 120g/day. Which is like .85g/lb of body weight. Finally, Im not making a meal plan for Saturday and Sunday. My weekends get so out of whack sometimes that it would be hard to follow a meal plan like i can during the scheduled week. Instead, on the weekends, Im going to keep trying to eat high protein foods if i can, but have it be more or less a "cheat day" but not in the sense that I let myself go crazy and eat everything in sight. Im mainly trying to get my protein from food and only supplementing around 100g of protein powder/week to account for any days that I dont reach the 120g/day.

Workout Routine:
    Im a complete noob when it comes to working out. I've honestly never worked out in the gym in my entire life, with the exception of a week rotation in PE in like 6th grade and maybe 2-3 other times, but just running treadmill (no weights). That being said, I feel completely lost when i step into a gym, and honestly am overwhelmed at the number of machines and options available. Thats why I really want a routine that I can follow as opposed to just going and doing whatever machines I want. I've heard about the Fierce 5 routine. Is it any good? Ive also heard that push-pull-legs is a popular routine for beginners, but I really dont know what that means. If you have any suggestions for good beginner routines I would really appreciate it. I plan on going to the gym on MWF and resting on the days in between with maybe some light ab work on those days. Then I thought maybe 1-2 a week either on the days off or on the weekends doing some HIIT cardio. I was thinking like sprint for 30 seconds. The rest interval is 1 minute and 15 seconds. Continue this process until you have finished 10 reps. Cool down at 3 mph for three minutes. How does that sound?

Any help or advice you can give me would be great and EXTREMELY appreciated!

Thanks,
    Ryan

NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Forget about counting some aspects of nutrition and avoiding the others. It doesn’t work that way.

Protein does not have supernatural powers for you to count it and not count the others.

You need to count all your macros, meet the minimum requirements for Protein AND fat and fill in the rest with carbs or however you want. Everyday. Including weekends.

If you intend for your weekends to be “out of whack”, that means your entire nutrition and progress will be “Out of whack” too.

Also, no guess work on calories. Weigh all your foods to the gram and be certain of the calories and macros.

At 5’9” and 140 lbs, there’s nothing fat about you. You need to eat, follow a program and lift heavy.

You’re right. Fierce 5 program is a good one for you to follow. All you need to do is find your maintenance calories, eat 200-300 above your maintenance and follow fierce 5 like it’s written.

All the best.

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nutrition: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173439001

You've been answered regarding a program from your thread 6 months ago where you pretty much said the same things.

Aside from the link, since you asked, here's my advice. Talking/thinking about it won't get you anywhere. Doing it will.
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) RyanT1997 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    NinaB55- Thank you! I didn't think about it like that, but theres no point of doing something if you're not going to do it right. In the words of the great Ron Swanson "Never half ass two things. Whole ass one thing." I'll definitely go back to the drawing board in terms of nutrition and do a bit more research into what fits me! Thanks for the tips! I know I'm not fat, just not in shape. I don't want to lose any weight, just lower my body fat percentage by increasing muscle. I appreciate you taking the time to read all that and coming up with a thoughtful response.

BS57- Honestly thank you for calling me out. You're completely right! I've posted just about the same post a couple times on here and it ultimately boils down to me... You guys have always been so helpful in giving advice, I just continue to drop the ball on my end. Each time I try I just get intimidated because I dont know what Im doing. I'm nervous about having to start with such light weights, but at the end of the day we all start somewhere. And I just need to try and keep in mind that no one else gives a crap about what i look like or am doing in the gym as long as Im not doing something to bother them. Thank you for the link! Im looking at it now! And you're completely right... I just need to stop talking about it and just do it.... Even if I'm doing it wrong its better than doing nothing at all! Again thank you for all your help! I know that I can do it if I just DO IT!

Thank you both for your help! I appreciate you both for taking time out of your day to respond to my post! Best of luck to you both!

Wow! Gotta say thanks again BS57! That was one of the easiest to understand and most straightforward explanations of macros that I have seen!
    I just went into myfitnesspal and adjusted it.

2015 was my maintenance calories exercising 3 times a week, so I did 2215 like you said, and will maybe go to 2315 depending on what happens once I start lifting.

Ive got my protein still around 120g/day, and now have fat set to 62g/day which is about 6g over minimum.

So from what im getting from this is that I need to focus on BOTH protein AND fats, and then I can fill in the remaining calories with anything.... so carbs or more protein or fats? Just as long as I get the minimum amount of the 2 previous?

BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RyanT1997 View Post

BS57- Honestly thank you for calling me out. You're completely right! I've posted just about the same post a couple times on here and it ultimately boils down to me... You guys have always been so helpful in giving advice, I just continue to drop the ball on my end. Each time I try I just get intimidated because I dont know what Im doing. I'm nervous about having to start with such light weights, but at the end of the day we all start somewhere.
    You're welcome, and I rep'd you for simply "getting it". Some (many) get their feelz hurt when I simply try to point out their lack of follow-through. If I'm an ass for it, then I'm an ass. If it lights a fire under someone's rear-end, then great. If not, oh well, they can continue their life as is.

Originally Posted by RyanT1997 View Post

So from what im getting from this is that I need to focus on BOTH protein AND fats, and then I can fill in the remaining calories with anything.... so carbs or more protein or fats? Just as long as I get the minimum amount of the 2 previous?
    Correct, and what you can do is play with carb amounts, as some people are more sensitive to them than others. Personally, I prefer carbs, and I tried Keto several months ago, and learned lack of them (carbs) leaves me feeling lacking of energy.
    Old, but not obsolete.
    Geezer Crew

NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NinaB55 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You’re welcome, OP. I’ve repped you.

Your positive attitude attitude will take you a long way.

I started by doing body weight exercises. I could only squat an empty bar.

Do not be intimidated and do not compare yourself to anyone else. You are at the beginning of your journey and they might be at the middle or ending of theirs.

Most important thing is to always strive to be better than you were yesterday.

All the best.