TurtleFlash has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Complete loss of appetite/hunger

Well, here goes nothing. And before anyone says it, I've tried weed, it makes me disgusted by food even more unironically.

After what's been about 2 years of searching online for solutions, anecdotes, anything to help me figure out why I'm never hungry, I figure I'd post here because I'm pretty much giving up at this point.

Synopsis: I started lifting when I was 19 years old. I was in the military at this time, discovered what macros were, and I was always the skinny kid growing up and wanted to change that. I started eating to get big, wake up, eat a cup of oats and some whey protein. Do morning PT, finish, eat breakfast, eat lunch, get off work, go back to the chow hall for a pre workout meal, work out, eat dinner after working out, then snack until bad time. Breakfast was a chore, 5 scrambled eggs, a bagel with cream cheese, and greek yogurt. Lunch was at the chow hall, the portions they serve us were generally small so this was no issue. After my workouts, however was the real struggle. I would eat steak and potatoes or rice and chicken. Sometimes spaghetti, sometimes other things, but the key was to eat until I absolutely couldn't eat anymore. It was like a binging episode after working out all the time. I was determined to get huge, and even though I felt like yaking all over the table, I would pause, then continue to shovel more food to my mouth. This would go on for at least an hour every night.

Over time I noticed I felt less hungry. After my workouts, I had a hunger pain, but the thought of food made me sick. Fast forward a few more months, and I noticed I was getting less and less hungry as a whole. I was eating less, and my performance in the gym declined.

Now I don't get hungry at all, and the thought of food makes me a bit sick. I probably would be able to go days without eating, but I never do and I still force myself to eat, but now I eat whatever I feel like eating; pizza, fast food, anything to get some calories so I can function throughout the day. No matter what I eat though, I feel repulsed by it. There is no pleasure associated with the taste, smell, sight, or presence of food. Food has become like a piece of bicycle seat to me. I want to get back to working out 5 days a week and making progress, I want to be able to focus and have energy throughout the day, but I can't because food is just so repulsive to me.

I've tried mass gainer shakes, smoothies, everything. It's all the same, if I eat too much or too fast, I gag and feel repulsed. I went to the doctor, did a blood lab and urine test, he said I'm all healthy beside a vitamin D deficiency so I've been taking vitamin D pills.

I explained my situation to the doctor and he told me to see a psychiatrist because it sounded like I have anorexia despite my perfectly healthy body weight. I've seen a couple psychiatrists, and both wanted to put me on antidepressants, which I tried, and none of them did anything. I just want to DESIRE food again instead of hating it. No one can help me, and I've only gotten by this far by spending hours just trying to force myself to eat enough to get by, and I still go to the gym every now and then to make sure I stay somewhat active despite struggling with what used to be warm up weight.

If anyone has some insight for a bro who's just trying to make it, I will thank you for eternity.

Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jakeh1 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's almost as if you PTSD from force feeding yourself in the military. You've obviously done the right thing seeing a doctor and psychiatrist, however I'd be going back and seeing different doctors/psychiatrists as putting you on antidepressants isn't going to solve anything long term.

I'm not qualified to offer any advice so there is nothing further I can add.

I wish you the best of luck getting this sorted.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Eat calorie dense foods including 'treat' foods like chocolate, cake or biscuits (in addition to healthy foods, not instead of).

Drink a pint of milk between meals.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There is a medication any general doctor can prescribe to you that helps stimulate appetite. We cannot discuss meds here but you can ask about this.

Sounds more like you have ARFID than anorexia to me, but I would defer to the psychiatrists. What is your current bodyfat %? This may be a great time to cut if it's elevated; most people get hungrier as they get leaner.

Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000) Desimus20 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Hey man try fasting
    go 16-24 hours without eating and you will be ravenous

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Desimus20 View Post
    Hey man try fasting
    go 16-24 hours without eating and you will be ravenous
    One of the few real benefits of fasting is that it helps people who overeat to control their appetites.

I doesn't work in reverse too dude... I don't recommend this.