Ruben777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ruben777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Water in Final Week to Contest

What type of water do you recommend drinking during the final week leading up to a bodybuilding competition?

I heard some advise drinking distilled water, and others advise drinking "low sodium" water (whatever that means). Isn't all water basically zero sodium?

masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ruben777 View Post
    What type of water do you recommend drinking during the final week leading up to a bodybuilding competition?

I heard some advise drinking distilled water, and others advise drinking "low sodium" water (whatever that means). Isn't all water basically zero sodium?
    When you sweat, you lose water and salt in your body. When you drink water, you are only adding back the water you are losing, but not the salt. It it possible to throw the salt / water balance of your body off if you consume too much water in a short period of time and cause death.

That is one reason some waters have sodium added.

Another is that tap water can have sodium in it by the natural process of water picking up minerals.

It can also be added just to enhance the taste of the water.

I don't know how you should balance that for peak week but that is the science behind sodium in water.

I would suggest staying away from carbonated waters, juices, sodas, as you can get bloated from it.

Ruben777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ruben777 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by masterg20 View Post
    When you sweat, you lose water and salt in your body. When you drink water, you are only adding back the water you are losing, but not the salt. It it possible to throw the salt / water balance of your body off if you consume too much water in a short period of time and cause death.

That is one reason some waters have sodium added.

Another is that tap water can have sodium in it by the natural process of water picking up minerals.

It can also be added just to enhance the taste of the water.

I don't know how you should balance that for peak week but that is the science behind sodium in water.

I would suggest staying away from carbonated waters, juices, sodas, as you can get bloated from it.
    So if you were in peak weak for a bodybuilding competition, and you had a choice to drink distilled water, or non-distilled bottled water, which would you choose?

masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) masterg20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So if you were in peak weak for a bodybuilding competition, and you had a choice to drink distilled water, or non-distilled bottled water, which would you choose?
    With everything else that needs to be focused on, just drink regular water.

Originally Posted by masterg20 View Post
    With everything else that needs to be focused on, just drink regular water.
    And why do you recommend regular water? Because of the minerals in it?

Isn't distilled water supposed to be good for reducing sodium in the peak week diet?

Now I am reading online that certain competitive bodybuilders prefer drinking spring water during the last week, up to the show.

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

spring water v.s. tap water

Now I am reading online that certain competitive bodybuilders prefer drinking spring water during the last week, up to the show.
    I drink mostly filtered water or boiled water. I don't think much of a difference is in bottled water. In fact it may be the opposite.

And why do you recommend regular water? Because of the minerals in it?

Isn't distilled water supposed to be good for reducing sodium in the peak week diet?
    What I'm saying is that the minerals and sodium in most waters are trace amounts and minuscule, especially when compared to the sodium in anything you eat during the week; and smaller still when you compare choice of water vs making sure calories, training, and posing are all on point for the entire week.

It seems that distilled water, having like no sodium or minerals, would literally wash minerals and sodium out of your body, leaving you weaker and less healthy when you get on stage. Not sure if that is worth gaining the extra amount of "tightness" you might get from drinking the distilled water during the last week.