MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Technique/Accessories for Atlas Stone Shouldering

Does anyone have any videos of/or technique advice for shouldering an atlas stone without tacky? Brian Alsruhe has one where he uses tacky, and a Martins Licis video used a tacky towel. Others show a tackyless stone shoulder but they seem to be much lighter stones then a 275, one-motioning it with forearms at the bottom of the stone. I am doing the Norse Highlander (March 30) this year and it states that there will be no tacky allowed in any form. I will have a 280 stone and have gotten close for my first attempt with my 275 this past event day.

My plan is to go for as many shoulders as I can in the 60 sec instead of trying for any kind of press. I can load the 275 easily so my goal is to shoulder it.

Also any accessories to help stone shouldering? I got doing stone holds a few inches above the ground from Licis' video and figured doing heavy log lap and cleans can help with hip drive and the cleaning motion. Any others?

Rules for the event:
    -Athlete with have 60sec to load, shoulder, or press an Atlas Stone as many times as possible.
    -Loading is worth 1 point. Shouldering the stone is worth 5 points. Pressing the stone is worth 20 points! Most points wins.
    -No tacky. No spray tack. No tacky towels. Do it like our ancestors did for thousands of years.

blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think there is some training stuff on here but it’s nothing earth shattering.
    http://www.oldmanofthestones.com/

I have this book too

But I have got the most out of videos and just doing reps with 150-200lb stones. More opportunity to play with technique than a few reps at 250+

Standby for videos...

Here is a strong guy, doing some one motion type of cleans

https://youtu.be/o7QkLSyL7O0

And here is a guy that is doing a slower more methodical lift

https://youtu.be/yc3NTW3L0Qw

Tips I’ve developed since training for a Scottish tour this summer...
    Arms straight to lap the stone (easy to hurt bicep)
    The deeper the squat when you lap it the higher it sits on your chest when you stand up
    Bear hug it, I seem to fail if I get my hands under it (might be different for you
    If it’s round you may be able to roll it to shoulder, if not you may need to hop it up there
    You lean back far

Some stone lifters wear belt liners not stiff belts (neoprene not leather)

If you are looking for accessory work I do some stuff like:
    Rows with the stone
    Lap it for reps
    Lap it once then do zercher squats with it for reps

If you find anything that works please post it. I’m new to this and looking to be successful in Scotland so would appreciate any help/tips

Edit: just saw that I missed ATLAS stones... I don’t know how much my stuff will help then. Sorry.
    Last edited by blindsideflank; 01-14-2019 at 01:41 PM.
    Tobacco prostitute
    "Grow up Harriet"

MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10) MR.TeachFreak is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks, you did give me some ideas to try. I think I may be standing to straight when I try to "clean" the stone. And I plan on trying a similar technique to some of the ligher stone videos where they get deeper. Also going to get reps shouldering my 255 as part of my training.

blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    These came up on my suggested videos last night (haven’t watched them but I thought of this thread)

https://youtu.be/0HThQbRlWgo

This one specifically addresses shouldering

https://youtu.be/FBfdt1HTI2g

I have watched this one. More entertainment that instruction

https://youtu.be/twoLNVRemu0
    Tobacco prostitute
    "Grow up Harriet"

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A long video but lots of great info on both manhood stones in general and how to train for and lift them.

https://vimeo.com/119463696

Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    A long video but lots of great info on both manhood stones in general and how to train for and lift them.
    Thanks. All the videos are helping the ones I found. I know I am not leaning back far enough when I "clean" the stone and also standing up too soon based on the videos and filming my sets. I am working on stones I know I can clean to focus on technique now instead of doing a bunch of almost there reps.