claudiogeorge is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Chest Pain persists months after Seated chest presses

So I want to start off saying that im not a person who goes regularly to the gym. This issue started happening when after one or two weeks of going to the gym regularly i decided to do some seated chest presses on those machines. I think i was quite dumb but i saw a video on youtube saying that if you push till failure you get better results. This was probably in march or april of last year and I was 17. Anyway after doing them chest presses till failure I started noticing a weird kind of pain, it wasnt coming from the muscle but more from the nerves. Since then when i flex my chest or (this is a bit hard to explain) but if i stand up and start pushing downwards with my arms/shoulders i feel that pain in the chest (not the muscle really). I haven't gone to the gp yet since i thought it would go away on its own. I hope i wont have to live with this forever since it really ruined my life and i cant do a lot of thing normal 18 year olds do. Cant even do push ups. BTW i lived in italy until i was 15 and i used to do boxing and was quite good at it, at 14 i had won the national title for under 15s at 65kg. Now i cant even box anymore Im just sad. Anyone has any idea of what this could be?

bradisa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by claudiogeorge View Post
    So I want to start off saying that im not a person who goes regularly to the gym. This issue started happening when after one or two weeks of going to the gym regularly i decided to do some seated chest presses on those machines. I think i was quite dumb but i saw a video on youtube saying that if you push till failure you get better results. This was probably in march or april of last year and I was 17. Anyway after doing them chest presses till failure I started noticing a weird kind of pain, it wasnt coming from the muscle but more from the nerves. Since then when i flex my chest or (this is a bit hard to explain) but if i stand up and start pushing downwards with my arms/shoulders i feel that pain in the chest (not the muscle really). I haven't gone to the gp yet since i thought it would go away on its own. I hope i wont have to live with this forever since it really ruined my life and i cant do a lot of thing normal 18 year olds do. Cant even do push ups. BTW i lived in italy until i was 15 and i used to do boxing and was quite good at it, at 14 i had won the national title for under 15s at 65kg. Now i cant even box anymore Im just sad. Anyone has any idea of what this could be?
    It could be a dislocated rib. I would recommend seeing a chiropractor. You'd be amazed how much discomfort a rib can cause, and a lot of the time it feels like something else like a pulled back muscle, or cramp, or muscle tear. The nerves between the ribs are easily irritated when one of the ribs is out of alignment and not where it's supposed to be, and misfires can be very misleading.

Oh, also, not being a "regular" gym visitor, and the fact that you went to failure, it's possible your form got way outta whack, which makes a rib dislocation a very possible cause of your pain.