bucski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How much muscle gain vs fat loss

Been training around 3 months now and gone from about 18-20% body fat to prob around 13%. I'm 6'1" , 52 years old and now 89kg was about 95kg.

Doing an hour of weights x 5 per week and cardio. Eating 500 calories less than TDEE. So I have burned fat steadily. The weights I am lifting have also increased in that time.

Question is when I lose say 1kg over a two week period how do I know how much is fat? Because presumably I have put some muscle on which counteracts that.

For example I could have lost 1.5kg of fat but gained 0.5 kg of muscle giving an overall loss of 1kg.

(Not really done weights much previously apart from a 6 month period about 3 years ago - but have done lots of other exercise - mostly cardio stuff throughout my life)

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How are you determining your body fat? I'm not trying to be a 'downer' or a jerk, but I doubt that it happened just like that.

With those numbers, you'd have lost close to 10 pounds of fat (and replaced with muscle), PLUS gained 13 pounds?

As a new, natural lifter, if you were doing everything right (lifting, routine, rest) you gained at most 6 pounds of muscle in 3 months of lifting...

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    How are you determining your body fat? I'm not trying to be a 'downer' or a jerk, but I doubt that it happened just like that.

With those numbers, you'd have lost close to 10 pounds of fat (and replaced with muscle), PLUS gained 13 pounds?

As a new, natural lifter, if you were doing everything right (lifting, routine, rest) you gained at most 6 pounds of muscle in 3 months of lifting...
    I'm guessing my body fat based on pictures on the internet which are used for estimating body fat - everything I've read re finding out what your body fat is seems to say that it is fairly inaccurate and there isn't a reliable way to do it.

Not sure what you mean by lost 10 pounds of fat but gained 13 pounds? I've gone from 209lbs to 196 lbs in 3 months.

Thanks!

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bucski View Post
    Not sure what you mean by lost 10 pounds of fat but gained 13 pounds? I've gone from 209lbs to 196 lbs in 3 months.

Thanks!
    Yea, sorry, I read that backwards. I sounds like you've made some good progress. Congrats.

No way to REALLY know how much of your loss is fat versus muscle. However, if you're lifting hard (and not losing very much strength) and getting adequate protein, you're doing the best you can to protect muscle.

OK no worries - got you. Thanks for the help!

leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You could use a fat measuring machine if your gym has one. I had the same issue as you in my last cutting cycle. The only way to truly know is to stand on it and get your fat mass, muscle mass, total weight and your bf % every week or two. Hopefully your fat mass reduces, your muscle mass increases thus your bf % decreases. If you think you are losing too much muscle, then adjust macros and take more protein.

Originally Posted by leroyS View Post
    You could use a fat measuring machine if your gym has one.
    No. These machines are little more than expensive toys. Lots of inaccuracies. They vary results based on how hydrated you are and "average body". To see just how inaccurate, take a reading immediately begor your workout, then immediately after that same workout.

Other things that can change/influence readings:
    Last time you peed
    Last time bowel movement
    Hydration level
    How long recently standing
    How long since a shower
    How long since last meal

Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50) Amanjaku will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Taking measurements of specific body parts will give you your BF, there are plenty of websites to do that for you, all you have to provide are the numbers

hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hardyboysare is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Amanjaku View Post
    Taking measurements of specific body parts will give you your BF, there are plenty of websites to do that for you, all you have to provide are the numbers
    Sorry chap these websites are just as good as bf% scales pretty much cr*p. Just because one point of measurement is a certain amount how can a online calculator take into consideration the proportion of body fat within a limb?

The best way is just compare pictures of yourself month by month, take measurements of your waist (decrease in waist size means fat loss, increase size equals fat increase generally) and the feel of your clothes are they tighter do you look slimmer.

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Understand that strength gain in the first few months of training is from CNS adaption and not muscle gain.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) leroyS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    No. These machines are little more than expensive toys. Lots of inaccuracies. They vary results based on how hydrated you are and "average body". To see just how inaccurate, take a reading immediately begor your workout, then immediately after that same workout.

Other things that can change/influence readings:
    Last time you peed
    Last time bowel movement
    Hydration level
    How long recently standing
    How long since a shower
    How long since last meal
    Yes there are inaccuracies in them and they do have their issues, but you do get a good handle on it if you go at the same time. Nothing is 100% perfect. Even calliper measures can be off and visual BF % from photos due to lighting. We all just work on best guess.