jtw1991 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Suggested cardio

Hi guys,

Just looking for some advice on starting cardio. I've been lifting seriously for around 3 years now, but I've never done any cardio. I probably couldn't even run a mile if my life depended on it.

Generally, I feel pretty fit, all my lifts are consistently going up and I'm still gaining a decent amount of weight. I want to start doing some cardio, just for the health benefits. But as a complete noob at cardio, I don't have the slightest clue where to start. What type of cardio, when to do it, how long for or how often.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Edit: I ideally want something that can be done in the gym, as I like to get my training done all in one session, after work.
    Last edited by jtw1991; 01-11-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Replies in 1/2 hr - 3 day GeneralSerpant's Avatar
    GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think the bike and the stair stepper machine should be pretty simple exercises to get into. If you want to start jogging on the treadmill, then have at it. Elliptical isn't really hard to get into at all. It's mainly about plotting time set aside to just do busywork.
    It's like people only do things 'cause they get paid -- and that's just really sad - Garth Algar

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    I think the bike and the stair stepper machine should be pretty simple exercises to get into. If you want to start jogging on the treadmill, then have at it. Elliptical isn't really hard to get into at all. It's mainly about plotting time set aside to just do busywork.
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I was considering using machine like the bike and stepper. Maybe rowing too. I don't think I'd get any enjoyment out of jogging for long periods of time and therefore probably would give up with jogging.

I've been considering HIIT with a few different machines. Is that generally considered a better option for cardio health? Also should it be done before or after, or on a different day to lifting?

etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jtw1991 View Post
    Hey, thanks for the reply.

Yeah I was considering using machine like the bike and stepper. Maybe rowing too. I don't think I'd get any enjoyment out of jogging for long periods of time and therefore probably would give up with jogging.

I've been considering HIIT with a few different machines. Is that generally considered a better option for cardio health? Also should it be done before or after, or on a different day to lifting?
    If your main goal is building and/or maintaining muscle, do HIIT or SIT after your weightlifting, preferably 1/2x week to get acclimated to the intensity of these sessions. Also, pick an activity you find you like to do.
    "A Winner is a Dreamer Who Never Gives Up" --- Nelson Mandela

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    If your main goal is building and/or maintaining muscle, do HIIT or SIT after your weightlifting, preferably 1/2x week to get acclimated to the intensity of these sessions. Also, pick an activity you find you like to do.
    SIT, is that sprint interval training?

If so, that does sound quite appealing, as I'd like to do a functional form of cardio.

etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000) etet1919 is a name known to all. (+5000)

If so, that does sound quite appealing, as I'd like to do a functional form of cardio.
    You're correct- SIT is where the work intervals are at the highest intensity possible for 10-20 seconds, and no longer. The recovery periods are naturally going to be at a much slower and longer pace, in order to fully repeat those continuous full out speed intervals. The recovery intervals can be 1 1/2 minutes, 2 minutes and even up to 4-5 minutes if need be. Some say, and I believe, this is a great way to train the fast twitch muscle fibers to fire more efficiently and help keep hard earned muscle gains!! The beauty of this technique, also, is it can be done on literally any machine or in "free-form" (track or jumping rope) cardio.
    "A Winner is a Dreamer Who Never Gives Up" --- Nelson Mandela

Originally Posted by etet1919 View Post
    You're correct- SIT is where the work intervals are at the highest intensity possible for 10-20 seconds, and no longer. The recovery periods are naturally going to be at a much slower and longer pace, in order to fully repeat those continuous full out speed intervals. The recovery intervals can be 1 1/2 minutes, 2 minutes and even up to 4-5 minutes if need be. Some say, and I believe, this is a great way to train the fast twitch muscle fibers to fire more efficiently and help keep hard earned muscle gains!! The beauty of this technique, also, is it can be done on literally any machine or in "free-form" (track or jumping rope) cardio.
    That's great, thanks for that. Definitely sounds like my sort of workout!

supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000) supramax is a name known to all. (+5000)

The 's' stands for supramaximal. Everything else that etet said is more or less accurate.
    It's easy to not be afraid of tigers when you're sitting in your living room watching a television program about tigers. When you're in the jungle where the tigers are, it's quite a different story.