AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Training for a 5km Run Alongside Weights?

I'm currently training for a 5km run and will basically be pushing for a better 5km time at the end of each training week (where I get 2 rest days). My plan so far is to do some form of relatively low impact, moderate intensity cardio 5 days a week (on rest days and post workout) and go for a very "high intensity" 5km run at the end of the week (not anaerobic or HIIT, just high effort). I'm thinking of the elliptical and stationary bike for my low impact cardio at the moment (I can't swim LOL), will probably be

>I also walk to the gym and back which is a 5.2km trip in total (so i will be walking 5.2km 5 days a week on top of the low impact cardio).

Basically this is my model (I'm running fierce 5):
    MON: Weights + Low Impact
    TUE: Low Impact
    WED: Weights + Low Impact
    THU: Low Impact
    FRI: Weights + Low Impact
    SAT: 5km Run (timed)
    SUN: Rest

Does this sound good? I'm only running 5km once a week because of recovery. I have absolutely zero experience in seriously training for endurance in the past, so would appreciate any feedback + issues

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not running during the week and then trying to do a timed 5k run on the weekend is asinine and likely to lead to injury.

AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AppropriateGuy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Not running during the week and then trying to do a timed 5k run on the weekend is asinine and likely to lead to injury.
    Thanks for the feedback. In that case, what approach would you recommend when it comes to adding an additional running day; particularly the scheduling and intensity aspects of that run for recovery management? Cheers.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Run intervals twice a week, an easier longer run once a week. It's a 5K, there's no need to hit cardio 6 times a week for it. People train for marathons running only 3-4 times a week.

http://www.stewsmith.com/linkpages/runfaster.htm

mrjrdrben has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mrjrdrben has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've always had a hard time with running, I blame my messed up knees. That being said, I managed to knock 1:30 minutes off my 2 mile time by running intervals in my neighborhood 3 times a week for a little over 2 months. practice good running form and do a little self research to figure out how to estimate your heart rate. That is the true killer of endurance runs. If it gets too high, you are fighting a loosing battle with your bodies oxygen needs trying to bring it back down.

during your interval runs, push that heart rate up nice and high, as far as you can manage without feeling like you are going to die. practice that speed in short bursts, it will work wonders for your steady state endurance during your 5k. Start with a 5 min walk, then run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes for a 30 min duration. Once that's easy for you, start bumping the numbers up a bit, run 3, rest 1, ect…

Good luck!