Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BS57 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TheRedCardinal View Post

I have suspected for some time that the "simple" formula isn't quite working for me but I've not really had the consistency to track it as well as I should.
    Take this^, and apply to your response below.

Originally Posted by TheRedCardinal View Post
    Ok man, you might be right, you might be wrong. I really don't want to be one of these guys who gets all precious when they don't get the answer they want, but you know nothing about the way I'm counting and tracking. Perhaps it's that my TDEE is lower than what I've estimated, perhaps it's that I have a rare genetic defect hitherto undiscovered that means protein gives me 100 calories per gram. Perhaps my scale is wrong. Perhaps my version of MFP has been hacked with hilarious substitutions. Perhaps now that I actually AM tracking accurately, consistently, and wholly, I'll see some proper results.
    If you're under the assumption that your internet-based TDEE calculation it 100% accurate, then you're likely going to be disappointed. Oh wait.....you are.
    It's a starting point, period. A place to begin.

If after 3 weeks you haven't dropped weight (assuming you're accurately weighing, and VERIFYING the nutritional values assigned by MFP), then drop a couple hundred more cals from your intake.

You shouldn't get so defensive when you ask for help, and are given it.

You've clearly admitted what you've done up to this point hasn't worked.

TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Gents honestly I am tempted to let this go but I also want to be an active part of this community and I think it's right to stand up for myself here.

I said in the past my efforts haven't worked. I then said I have started tracking fully. I then said I would follow for a month and see if this improves. None of this is in question.

My post wasn't about my progress or otherwise. It says exactly that. No controversy.

My specific question was about the comment that low testosterone has an effect on weight loss and muscle retention. I had not heard this before. I have, in the past, been told I have low testosterone levels. I simply wanted to know what the link was, and the experience of people was in this area. And specifically, what steps I can take to address this so that I'm not trying to achieve this with one arm tied behind my back.

Look I get the reactions - I've not been here long at all and even I'm bored with the endless stream of similar questions that appear. But copy and pasting your mantra into a post and then getting all righteous when your mantra isn't even addressing the question that was asked is a bit harsh surely? And that's before we even get to the dismissive nature of statements like "this thread has gone on too long" and "if you don't accept reality" etc.

So just to reiterate - my question was "How does low testosterone affect attempts at weight loss" and "what practical steps can be used to reduce this"?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Yes, low test tends to lead to lower muscle mass and higher BF% statistically speaking.

Have you said what your actual test level was? There are many issues even with just measuring it (time of day, natural variation). There is also a wide range of 'normal' values within which you can still achieve excellent results. If there is a problem, it may even correct itself with better conditioning, stress reduction and rest that comes with developing a lifestyle around training.

What tends to happen is people use it as an excuse for their lack of progress when we can tell, reading between the lines that there are much more significant problems with their nutrition and training habits - that would explain the reaction you are getting here.

TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheRedCardinal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Yes, low test tends to lead to lower muscle mass and higher BF% statistically speaking.

Have you said what your actual test level was? There are many issues even with just measuring it (time of day, natural variation). There is also a wide range of 'normal' values within which you can still achieve excellent results. If there is a problem, it may even correct itself with better conditioning, stress reduction and rest that comes with developing a lifestyle around training.

What tends to happen is people use it as an excuse for their lack of progress when we can tell, reading between the lines that there are much more significant problems with their nutrition and training habits - that would explain the reaction you are getting here.
    Thanks for that.

So, hypothetically, a person in a continuous calorie deficit with low testosterone levels, would see what impact over an identical person but with higher levels?

Presumably the deficit is made up of calories contained in body tissue - does it lead to a more likely use of lean tissue over fat?

And in the opposite direction, those two people in a calorie excess, would it mean the person with a lower level would be more likely to store the excess as body fat, and the other person as lean tissue/muscle?

pay the iron price SuffolkPunch's Avatar
    SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    I would only be speculating if I answered any of that. Test levels are of course linked with muscle growth rates which is an energetic process, that's all I can tell you with certainty and I'm not sure how any of it helps you with your goals or not.

You didn't say what your test levels actually are. This may all be academic.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I would only be speculating if I answered any of that. Test levels are of course linked with muscle growth rates which is an energetic process, that's all I can tell you with certainty and I'm not sure how any of it helps you with your goals or not.

You didn't say what your test levels actually are. This may all be academic.
    I think it's purely academic, but there's nothing wrong with that

I'd have to go back and look at the test results. They were not the cause of the tests, and so were mentioned more in passing. That said, there was no referral or recommended follow up so it was probably more akin to lower end of the recommended scale, than low. It was curiosity as much as anything.

Thanks!

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OP, a couple of things specifically to your counting and TDEE...

Make sure you WEIGH, not measure your foods. You'll almost ALWAYS undercount calories when measuring things like mayo, peanut butter, etc. A rounded tablespoon of peanut butter can be 100-200 calories more than a weighed amount. And make sure you count everything. Butter, sauces, cream in coffee, cooked in oil, those 6 almonds as a snack. If it goes in your mouth, COUNT IT! ;-)

Aslso, as has been noted, the TDEE calculators are ONLY estimates. Go try 3 different calculators and you'll probably see as many as 300 calories a day difference from high to low.

Good luck.

FitWithSteve1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by bsrkoacar View Post
    If true you should see a doctor. Sounds like a medical issue. Thyroid or extremely low testosterone or something
    I agree, it could be just that !
    Don't advertise here

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FitWithSteve1 View Post
    I agree, it could be just that !
    No. People get depressed with eating less which leads to the issues noted previously. No loss= too many calories on a weekly basis. Until this is realized no progress will be made.

fitwithsteve...Oh boy here we go
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    fitwithsteve...Oh boy here we go
    Especially based on his sig...

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Tommy W. has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Especially based on his sig...
    gonna edge e kate
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough