irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Anything I can do about genetically small arms?

My arms have always been out of proportion to the rest of my body. I used to be obese and most people when obese have big chunk arms, not me I looked like a snow man, big fat belly and stick arms.

I've been lifting 3 years, lost all the flab, everything else has grown bar my arms which do nothing. Triceps are hit Monday, Thursday with 3x10 skull crusher's and 3x10 lying dumbbell tricep extension, and biceps Tuesday and Friday 3x10 ez curls and 3x10 hammer curls, but still they won't grow.

Is it one of them things I'm just gonna have to suck it up and get over?

Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Spoken36 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What is your height, what do your arms measure, what does your neck measure, and what weights are you using on your big compound lifts?

How you feel about your arms is too subjective to elicit good comment. We need objective data. And specific "arm work" is not really what makes bigger arms. It helps, but is not as significant as it appears you think it is. IMO

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You actually look pretty proportionate, just a guy with a little bit of fat, and not a ton of muscle mass. The reality for most of us to efficiently lose fat we need to be in a caloric deficit (aka losing weight) and to efficiently build muscle will require a caloric surplus (aka gaining weight) so I see bulk and cut cycles in your future, coupled with a good workout plan.

Congrats on your progress so far.

irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50) irishninja81 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by cmacken View Post
    You actually look pretty proportionate, just a guy with a little bit of fat, and not a ton of muscle mass. The reality for most of us to efficiently lose fat we need to be in a caloric deficit (aka losing weight) and to efficiently build muscle will require a caloric surplus (aka gaining weight) so I see bulk and cut cycles in your future, coupled with a good workout plan.

Yes I am cutting down at the moment to get rid of excess fat, I guess I should revisit this question when its time to bulk.

caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) caravanbrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Work them... hard
    *Only misc at work crew*

**Sons of Smack crew**

jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    There could be multitude of issues here, but I doubt genetics is one of them. If what's listed in your OP is all the effort you are putting forth, I clearly see your first issue. In addition, if you're not performing those exercises with enough weight, you're not activating muscle growth.
    **PUREBLOOD FOR LIFE CREW**
    -- A e s t h e t i c s C r e w -- E x t r e m e D i p s C r e w -- M i s c C a r C r e w ---
    **2004 Acura NSX**2017 Honda Civic Type R, BADGE #357**
    **2018 BMW X5M**2020 Toyota TRD PRO**
    **Sandwiches are made in the KITCHEN......ABS are built in the GYM!**

Originally Posted by jlsnyderTypeR View Post
    There could be multitude of issues here, but I doubt genetics is one of them. If what's listed in your OP is all the effort you are putting forth, I clearly see your first issue. In addition, if you're not performing those exercises with enough weight, you're not activating muscle growth.
    What is wrong with these exercises? I run PPL. Doing these isolations I also not focusing on the weight but my form, that I am targetings and working the correct muscles and TUT so generally slower 3 second ecentrics.

jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) jlsnyderTypeR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by irishninja81 View Post
    What is wrong with these exercises? I run PPL. Doing these isolations I also not focusing on the weight but my form, that I am targetings and working the correct muscles and TUT so generally slower 3 second ecentrics.
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with the exercises, and without a video we can only assume that you are targeting the correct muscles. My bigger point, is more with the fact that there is obviously not enough effort put into these exercises and you need to add more exercises if you want results.

I personally want big arms, so I train biceps twice and triceps three times a week with twice as many exercises.
    **PUREBLOOD FOR LIFE CREW**
    -- A e s t h e t i c s C r e w -- E x t r e m e D i p s C r e w -- M i s c C a r C r e w ---
    **2004 Acura NSX**2017 Honda Civic Type R, BADGE #357**
    **2018 BMW X5M**2020 Toyota TRD PRO**
    **Sandwiches are made in the KITCHEN......ABS are built in the GYM!**

KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50) KDG730 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Heavy presses and rows will build your arms

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    None of that matters if you use tiny weights. You've been told this before.

jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jk202 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP, work on execution and effort. Simple as that. Are you feeling good contractions with those exercises? If not, improve or change them

Originally Posted by KDG730 View Post
    Heavy presses and rows will build your arms
    Eyeroll.gif

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I’m not 100% sure why I’m going to respond to this thread because I think I’m going to end up sounding like a dick. But take this commentary for what it’s worth. Don’t mean to hurt you feelings, but from where I’m standing...

First...I’m not sure what exactly you looked like when you started working out, what your goals are (other than big arms), or what you’ve been doing...but if that’s the result after 3 years of WEIGHT training for size or asthetics, you need to do something different. It’s only 1 picture...but that certainly doesn’t look like a guy who has been dedicated, consistent, and motivated for 3 years.

You say you have small arms...I say you have small everything (when it comes to muscular development). My advice (IMHO), if you want big arms, eat for muscle growth, get enough rest, and do a well rounded program that focuses on the development of your entire body. If your entire body gets bigger and stronger, so will your arms. If the rest of your body starts to look like you lift, so will your arms.

There is no reason to focus on arms any more than any body part. Proportionately there is no underdevelopment compared to the rest of your body. Lots of guys with beanpole arms develop descent guns. Skinny doesn’t mean genetically small , it just means not yet developed.

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This is why your arms are small.

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    but if that’s the result after 3 years of WEIGHT training for size or asthetics, you need to do something different. It’s only 1 picture...but that certainly doesn’t look like a guy who has been dedicated, consistent, and motivated for 3 years.
    Here he says he's been lifting for 4 years.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...post1560792741

That thread highlights his approach to training.

Ok folks point taken. I've always really done higher rep lower weight more TUT as that what I was originally taught by a PT, He was ripped so I just assumed that approach worked, then I came across Ben Pakulski and Vince Del Monte who also took this approach, sure it might work for some people I am not one of them people.

Yep I'm well aware I have built damn all, I think I also covered this before. I can post food logs and workout reports going back over 3 years, the dedication and commitment has been there but damn all has happened bar weight loss, (I was originally 106kg,now 80)

Edit: Just looking response I got to other threads, I had clearly forgot about them or i'd never have posted as I got a real pasting, I can assure you I am not trolling, embarrased by my results yes, why this has happened don't have a bloody clue, how to fix this I don't have a clue, you can either lift a weight or you can't, its not a matter of not lifting heavy enough, I am using the heaviest weights I can but not 1 bit of muscle was built hence why still have beginner numbers.
    Last edited by irishninja81; 01-09-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Some random reports from over the years that prove i'm not talking BS, I really have been doing this just over 3 years.
    Attached Images

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Ok folks point taken. I've always really done higher rep lower weight more TUT as that what I was originally taught by a PT, He was ripped so I just assumed that approach worked, then I came across Ben Pakulski and Vince Del Monte who also took this approach, sure it might work for some people I am not one of them people.
    For what it’s worth, I’ve almost always worked in a “higher” rep range myself. While I’ll go a bit lower on occasion, my sets are generally in the 8-12 rep range. Some will argue, but I’ve found training in this rep range more challenging and harder. But I do train heavy for those rep ranges, and I do focus on making the excercises as difficult as possible.

I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking higher reps means comfortable weight. You still need to lift “heavy” to force the muscles to grow. The first few reps are comfortable, but the middle reps should be hard, and the last 3+ reps should be pushing beyond what your mortal self can do. Too many people can easily get out 6-8 reps with the weight they choose, then they do a couple “hard” reps...and rack it. If you do what the body can handle, never going beyond that barrier, you haven’t given it any reason to grow.

But honestly, if you are doing something for 6 months with no progress, it’s definately time to try something else...3 years? You need to make a change now!

Either way, congratulations on your weight loss. Being leaner, healthier, and feeling better are enough reward to keep anyone lifting for life. If you want to put on more muscle, it’s time to explore new options. I didn’t fully “blossom” until I started doing full body workouts. Here’s my favorite article on the topic... https://www.tigerfitness.com/blogs/w...ilding-workout

For what it’s worth, I’m definately not genetically gifted, and I only do 6 sets a week for biceps and 6 sets for triceps a week (2 sets each every other day)...but It’s all about effort and intensity and that drive to get one more rep!

Good luck.

For what it’s worth, I’ve almost always worked in a “higher” rep range myself. While I’ll go a bit lower on occasion, my sets are generally in the 8-12 rep range. Some will argue, but I’ve found training in this rep range more challenging and harder. But I do train heavy for those rep ranges, and I do focus on making the excercises as difficult as possible.

I think the biggest mistake people make is thinking higher reps means comfortable weight. You still need to lift “heavy” to force the muscles to grow. The first few reps are comfortable, but the middle reps should be hard, and the last 3+ reps should be pushing beyond what your mortal self can do. Too many people can easily get out 6-8 reps with the weight they choose, then they do a couple “hard” reps...and rack it. If you do what the body can handle, never going beyond that barrier, you haven’t given it any reason to grow.

But honestly, if you are doing something for 6 months with no progress, it’s definately time to try something else...3 years? You need to make a change now!

Either way, congratulations on your weight loss. Being leaner, healthier, and feeling better are enough reward to keep anyone lifting for life. If you want to put on more muscle, it’s time to explore new options. I didn’t fully “blossom” until I started doing full body workouts. Here’s my favorite article on the topic...

For what it’s worth, I’m definately not genetically gifted, and I only do 6 sets a week for biceps and 6 sets for triceps a week (2 sets each every other day)...but It’s all about effort and intensity and that drive to get one more rep!

Good luck.
    Great post man, yeah I only do higher for accessories though, doing 12 squats would be damn torture lol. But yeah with higher rep you have the fatigue factor setting in so it is tough.

Thanks for the article, I'll have a read

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Gaining muscle is in essence very simple: combine progressive overload with enough calories and rest to fuel growth, and you will gain muscle.

All 3 have to be in order to succeed: it's okay to start with light weights, but you have to constantly overload your muscles, either with more reps or more weight; eventually, you HAVE to add weight because doing 30 reps of any exercise is too many.

If you haven't yet, start something like Fierce 5 Novice, it's all laid out so you don't have to think about it. Even though you've been lifting for a few years, I'd say you still qualify as a novice.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yes genetics plays a role on arm size.
    You may never have Arnold type arms but you can probably develop good shape arms with some size.
    If that's your goal you need to focus on them.
    Learn different exercises and protocols.
    3x10 is not going to do it for you.
    You need to have good intensity and train them more than once a week.
    Cutting down weight will not help you gain arm size only maybe maintain what you have.
    My arms also were a weak point and probably still are but i was able to win some BB shows with them because i got them looking decent enough.
    I have long arms so getting thick huge arms was not in the plan for me.
    But a good shape and with definition they look fairly well.
    Good luck i hope you over come your small arms and grow.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks for all the help guys.
    Have you formulated a plan?...or do you just want the thread to be over?

builder754 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    for triceps i recommend dumbell seated tricep extensions, with both hands, and dumbell kick backs, i also recommend high reps, don't be afraid to do sets of 20+ reps, even sets of 50-100 reps, trust me on this, also move rapidly, explosive reps works best for arm growth, for biceps i recommend standing alternate dumbell curls, rapid explosive movement, for high reps, 15+ reps. you'll thank me later, srs

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by builder754 View Post
    for triceps i recommend dumbell seated tricep extensions, with both hands, and dumbell kick backs, i also recommend high reps, don't be afraid to do sets of 20+ reps, even sets of 50-100 reps, trust me on this, also move rapidly, explosive reps works best for arm growth, for biceps i recommend standing alternate dumbell curls, rapid explosive movement, for high reps, 15+ reps. you'll thank me later, srs
    Stick with posting in the misc.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

Have you formulated a plan?...or do you just want the thread to be over?
    Well as far as I've got is I need more volume, I really thought the likes of PPL was enough, I mean everyone seems to do PPL or some variation. I am looking at that full body you posted, Its a fair bit more volume yes but then I think I do need the extra volume, no other way around it I am a hardgainer and need more volume, PPL isn't enough to do anything. I am cutting though to get my body fat down so how that would all factor in I don't know.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cmacken View Post

OP, revisit this post - I think it shows you what path you need to follow...bulk/cut cycles, like the rest of us. Choose one; IMO since you've already lost a ton of weight and are underdeveloped I'd recommend doing a proven routine (Fierce 5 is the one I used and liked) and eat at maintenance or slightly above and gain some strength and lean mass. Focus on the program, make sure you are raising the weight each week.

Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    OP, revisit this post - I think it shows you what path you need to follow...bulk/cut cycles, like the rest of us. Choose one; IMO since you've already lost a ton of weight and are underdeveloped I'd recommend doing a proven routine (Fierce 5 is the one I used and liked) and eat at maintenance or slightly above and gain some strength and lean mass. Focus on the program, make sure you are raising the weight each week.
    Yeah I'm at that awkward stage though where I'm to fat to bulk but also to small for more cutting, sure I could cut more but I've been to 150 and things don't get any leaner

Yeah I'm at that awkward stage though where I'm to fat to bulk but also to small for more cutting, sure I could cut more but I've been to 150 and things don't get any leaner
    Whatever you do, choose one and commit 100%, otherwise you will continue to "spin your wheels" not going anywhere.