Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BlackJojo is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Realistically, how much muscle can I gain in one year?

I'm 21, 5'9 and 139 lbs. I'm not 100% certain what my bodyfat percentage is but I've never had abs before. I want to become really shredded this year, but every time that I've tried working out in the past I had no idea what I was doing. What's a good program to help me gain muscle and burn fat at the same time? And what should be my goal weight for the end of the year?

ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ashhabah89 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    you can gain 20-30 lbs of muscle in your life time ( depends on your genetics and your initial body compostion ) , half of them is in your first year if everything is done perfectly ...

yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100) yellowfeverbro is not very well liked. (-100)
    About 350. Not much to answer to that question. Just google what’s possible for a human male and it will show something.

Your going to get comments about reading stickies and dieting/gaining weight so just go and do that. You will find answers similar to any question you have

Who knows. A year won’t do much. Make it a hobby and do it til your are satisfied with your body. Most here started with beginner programs. Starting strength 3x5 is what I used. For my lifts to 225/185/315 then did madcow to 315/275/405. Went on to do reps 3-8/12. Now I’m on and off and looking good/maintaince. Will probably go back to hit my old numbers but I’m in no rush or really care enough to train like before. Currently on that bulking/pigging out time

namewastaken1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BlackJojo View Post
    I'm 21, 5'9 and 139 lbs. I'm not 100% certain what my bodyfat percentage is but I've never had abs before. I want to become really shredded this year, but every time that I've tried working out in the past I had no idea what I was doing. What's a good program to help me gain muscle and burn fat at the same time? And what should be my goal weight for the end of the year?
    You really should not "gain muscle and burn fat at the same time".
    You are already skinny as ****. you should aim for around 180 lbs by the end of the year.

Originally Posted by namewastaken1 View Post
    You really should not "gain muscle and burn fat at the same time".
    You are already skinny as ****. you should aim for around 180 lbs by the end of the year.
    Okay, I'll just try to gain muscle then. But are you sure its healthy to gain 40 pounds in a year? I'm going to be doing this natty. I tried working out in 2017 and freaked out when I got up to 160 because I felt fat as ****.

fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000)
    Okay, I'll just try to gain muscle then. But are you sure its healthy to gain 40 pounds in a year? I'm going to be doing this natty. I tried working out in 2017 and freaked out when I got up to 160 because I felt fat as ****.
    Are you male or female? Picture so we can see current BF%? Ever lifted weights before?

Before somebody can really recommend a good routine to follow how many days and in those days how much time do you have to train?

It is absolutely and it will be motivating and boost your self confidence.
    Don't freak out, yes you will gain some fat but who cares. You will gain more muscle than you would have if you would gain 20 pounds a year. The extra muscla will then make it easier to lose the fat again anyway.
    Also, a significant amount of the weight is glycogen and water (more water). That's normal. I gained more than 10 pounds in 5 weeks but it's obviously a lot of water weight too.

You can gain 1-2 pounds of MUSCLE in a month. How are you gonna maximize your potential if you don't even gain 1-2 pounds of WEIGHT? The potential as a beginner is huge and you're missing out on your once in a lifetime muscle boost if you dont gain the weight

Originally Posted by fairbjosh View Post
    Are you male or female? Picture so we can see current BF%? Ever lifted weights before?

Before somebody can really recommend a good routine to follow how many days and in those days how much time do you have to train?
    I’m male. I lifted weight for like 5 months at the end of 2015 and then for a few more months in 2017. I can work out 4 times a week. Here’s a pic of me right now

https: //i.imgtc.com/eCuVTI1.jpg
    Last edited by BlackJojo; 01-08-2019 at 09:22 AM.

It is absolutely and it will be motivating and boost your self confidence.
    Don't freak out, yes you will gain some fat but who cares. You will gain more muscle than you would have if you would gain 20 pounds a year. The extra muscla will then make it easier to lose the fat again anyway.
    Also, a significant amount of the weight is glycogen and water (more water). That's normal. I gained more than 10 pounds in 5 weeks but it's obviously a lot of water weight too.

You can gain 1-2 pounds of MUSCLE in a month. How are you gonna maximize your potential if you don't even gain 1-2 pounds of WEIGHT? The potential as a beginner is huge and you're missing out on your once in a lifetime muscle boost if you dont gain the weight
    just make sure you have the form right and as soon as you have that don't be afraid to increase the weight every week you will be suprised how fast you get stronger as long as you keep gaining weight.

So are you saying that I should dirty bulk?

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So are you saying that I should dirty bulk?
    I would say aim to gain around 0.5-1lb per week. It will take longer but it will limit fat gain. If you "dirty bulk" and end up getting fat then you'll just want to cut again and be right back where you started.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

Refrigerator Lover

Alright, thanks

Originally Posted by Ghawk21 View Post
    I would say aim to gain around 0.5-1lb per week. It will take longer but it will limit fat gain. If you "dirty bulk" and end up getting fat then you'll just want to cut again and be right back where you started.
    1 lbs per week is 4 per month, which is 40 per year. This is what i said and is not dirty bulking.
    The more weight you gain up to e certain limit, the more of it will be muscle.
    Don't be afraid of gaining some fat, losing it is not as hard as people make it out to be..

fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000) fairbjosh is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's pretty simple:

#1 Pick a routine you think you will enjoy stick with it for for 8 weeks if you're seeing results keep with it if you're not seeing the results you want change it up.
    #2 If your gaining weight and adding weight to the bar your going in the right direction BUT if your gaining weight and no weight is getting added to the bar than your not going in the right direction.

The MAIN thing is find a routine you enjoy and will stick with for the long run, this is the best advice I can give.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    For a beginner who's never lifted a weight in his life, has his nutrition dialed-in perfectly, trains consistently on a structured beginner program, and gets plenty of sleep, the maximum rate of muscle gain in a natty human is about 2 pounds per month for the first year. Most beginners, however, struggle with their nutrition, train inconsistently on poorly-cobbled-together 'routines,' don't get enough sleep, and subsequently quit due to lack of any progress at all.

If you're serious about making significant change in your physique and strength level, forget about "abs" for now, and start here:

Fierce 5 Novice routine:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=159678631

If you don't know how to perform any of the exercises in this program, look them up here to learn how to do them correctly:
    http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

This thread will explain all the steps to figure your baseline of required protein, fat, carbs, and calories:
    *Figuring Calories and Macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1481919401

Get your regular-food nutrition squared-away and your eating on a consistent basis for several months, and then consider addition of possible supplements.

Guessing at portion sizes or relying on food package information will fail you. Buy an inexpensive digital food scale (~$20 at any big-box discount store), weigh your portions, and track them here: http://fitday.com
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50) S4lm9vvMn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    At 5'9" you should be at least 160 if you're training.

sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sunsean has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by S4lm9vvMn View Post
    At 5'9, I'm about 160 when I last cut down to 10%...now sitting up around 180, albeit with a higher body fat...I think a lean 160 is a good goal for a 5'9 novice, but can definitely get bigger from there.

OP, if you manage a clean bulk at 2lb/month for a year, I think you'd be very happy with the results.

dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dski79 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by fairbjosh View Post
    It's pretty simple:

#1 Pick a routine you think you will enjoy stick with it for for 8 weeks if you're seeing results keep with it if you're not seeing the results you want change it up.
    #2 If your gaining weight and adding weight to the bar your going in the right direction BUT if your gaining weight and no weight is getting added to the bar than your not going in the right direction.

The MAIN thing is find a routine you enjoy and will stick with for the long run, this is the best advice I can give.
    i agree with this... cuz this is a lifestyle not just a "diet"! 8 weeks to see if you have any results in trying a program is miniscule over the period of time you will be training! the problem is that a lot guys want results within a month, and thats not fair to the program... 8 weeks or even more is fair! AND not to mention finding something that you will be motivated to do, is a huge propenent cuz otherwise, if you hate what you are doing, chances are, that you wont last! i do Starting strength after long bouts out of the gym due to injuries, illness etc! and for ME, i love that i can go in every day and see my lifts going up.... SS might not be for you if thtat doesnt motivate you! and that goes with every program, with the assumption, as a novice you pick one of them!

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1 lbs per week is 4 per month, which is 40 per year. This is what i said and is not dirty bulking.
    The more weight you gain up to e certain limit, the more of it will be muscle.
    Don't be afraid of gaining some fat, losing it is not as hard as people make it out to be..

Wellll if you really continually gain 1 lb per week, there are 52 weeks in a year

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by S4lm9vvMn View Post
    This ignores body types - I'm 6'1" and was 155lb at the end of my last cut (which is when my profile pic was taken). I'd like to get up to a lean 175lb eventually. I have tiny wrists and ankles, long limbs and a proportionally short torso.

One of my mates is 5'8" and over 200lb, but doesn't lift and isn't particularly fat. He has big wrists and ankles, relatively high muscle mass, short limbs and a proportionally long torso (we look almost eye-to-eye when seated).

This is why BMI is almost useless.

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RapidFail View Post
    This ignores body types - I'm 6'1" and was 155lb at the end of my last cut (which is when my profile pic was taken). I'd like to get up to a lean 175lb eventually. I have tiny wrists and ankles, long limbs and a proportionally short torso.

One of my mates is 5'8" and over 200lb, but doesn't lift and isn't particularly fat. He has big wrists and ankles, relatively high muscle mass, short limbs and a proportionally long torso (we look almost eye-to-eye when seated).

This is why BMI is almost useless.
    You under-eat and are small.

BMI is not overly useful because it doesn't account for muscle gains.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    You under-eat and are small.

BMI is not overly useful because it doesn't account for muscle gains.
    I agree I'm small - I was skinny-fat and worked on losing the belly first, but I'm bulking now. I disagree that I under-eat - my TDEE is around 2400 calories and I've been eating 2650 for a while now. I did a dirty bulk at around 3000-3400 calories daily last year and gained mostly fat, surprise, surprise.

I know there aren't fat skeletons, but wrist and ankle size do tend to correlate pretty strongly with potential lean weight. 6'1" Thomas Hearns is never going to be as heavy as 5'10" Mike Tyson.

I agree I'm small - I was skinny-fat and worked on losing the belly first, but I'm bulking now. I disagree that I under-eat - my TDEE is around 2400 calories and I've been eating 2650 for a while now. I did a dirty bulk at around 3000-3400 calories daily last year and gained mostly fat, surprise, surprise.

I know there aren't fat skeletons, but wrist and ankle size do tend to correlate pretty strongly with potential lean weight. 6'1" Thomas Hearns is never going to be as heavy as 5'10" Mike Tyson.
    They have fought with bodyweights around 15-20 lbs apart... Seems about right for a 3'' height difference. Hearns fought and won in 5 different weight classes... Great example of eat more and get bigger

Idc enough to get more precise than those numbers.

cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000) cmacken is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ashhabah89 View Post
    you can gain 20-30 lbs of muscle in your life time ( depends on your genetics and your initial body compostion ) , half of them is in your first year if everything is done perfectly ...
    LOL wut? You're telling me that of the 70 pounds I've put on as an adult 20-30 of it is muscle and 40-50 of it fat?

Wellll if you really continually gain 1 lb per week, there are 52 weeks in a year
    Obviously^^ But a beginner should not be nit picking about that difference.

Originally Posted by cmacken View Post
    LOL wut? You're telling me that of the 70 pounds I've put on as an adult 20-30 of it is muscle and 40-50 of it fat?
    that 20-30 lbs in your lifetime is bull****. As ironwill2008 pointed out, you can gain 20lbs in your FIRST YEAR. obviously that's not your lifetime limit.

daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000) daudi81 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Similar to you, I started out pretty underweight. I was also very weak with very little muscle mass and hadn't been in the gym in over 10-15years. I looked unhealthy and skinny.

I'm probably a good example of what's possible (for me personally and my so-so genetics). I pretty much did everything by the book: nutrition was on point at a caloric surplus, I started on F5 novice and followed it to the T, doubled/tripled all my lifts the first year, tracked everything, etc. Other than a couple injuries I received outside the gym, I was extremely consistent.

I have no idea how much muscle I gained, but I can tell you that I look and feel like a completely different person than I did a year ago. Here's a few pics:

Just before starting F5: https://bit.ly/2FgqnPn
    7-8ish months later (20lbs heavier): https://bit.ly/2RDm2eV
    My avatar pic you see in my profile is close to 12months in.

I'm still nowhere near my goals, but I'm satisfied with the progress.

At your weight, losing fat should be the least of your worries. Forget getting "shredded." Eat at a caloric surplus, gain weight & size & strength, and get on a solid novice program. At your size, don't chase "abs" as that will just set you back. They really should be a 2+ year goal. I'm about 18 months in, and just now starting to see them.

They have fought with bodyweights around 15-20 lbs apart... Seems about right for a 3'' height difference. Hearns fought and won in 5 different weight classes... Great example of eat more and get bigger

Idc enough to get more precise than those numbers.
    For sure, but it was the 3 inches shorter man who was heavier (21lb heavier based on Tyson career low and Hearns' career high weights, not to mention that Tyson was way younger at those weights).

All I'm trying to say is that while body types are not a precise science, our frames do dictate how we look at certain weights and how much lean weight we are able to put on. Basing it solely on height is overly simplistic. Hearns looked strong at 160lb, while Iron Mike would've died before making that weight).

For sure, but it was the 3 inches shorter man who was heavier (21lb heavier based on Tyson career low and Hearns' career high weights, not to mention that Tyson was way younger at those weights).

All I'm trying to say is that while body types are not a precise science, our frames do dictate how we look at certain weights and how much lean weight we are able to put on. Basing it solely on height is overly simplistic. Hearns looked strong at 160lb, while Iron Mike would've died before making that weight).
    Oh yeah

But, who cares? What does it matter in regards to any particular other person and what they weigh?

And you know that BMI considers height, yes?

Hearns at 160 looked like he needed to eat a sammich

lol at he would have died getting down to 160. No.

6'1 and 155 lbs is 'small'. This started with a comment about "at x height you should weigh at least y", within the context of bodybuilding/weight training/muscle/strength. It's certainly up to the individual what they want to weigh and why, but, something like 6'1 155 is small as is 5'9 139

Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gaston40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by sunsean View Post
    At 5'9, I'm about 160 when I last cut down to 10%...now sitting up around 180, albeit with a higher body fat...I think a lean 160 is a good goal for a 5'9 novice, but can definitely get bigger from there.

OP, if you manage a clean bulk at 2lb/month for a year, I think you'd be very happy with the results.

5'9" 165 here.

Better off to stick to around 2 lbs a month weight gain. That way you can keep a hold of your fat gains without getting over sloppy looking and putting on more fat than muscle.
    Put Allah first and you will never be last.
    Allah akbar

Maxes
    Bodyweight 165lbs

Squat 410
    Bench 270
    Sumo 460
    Press 205